1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Projekt "Optimus Prime" KB+Mouse Modz

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by PM_DMNKLR, 1 Jan 2012.

1. PM_DMNKLR

PM_DMNKLR Social Pariah Extraordinaire

Ok, well, this is my first post here, some of you know me well, and some not at all, lol, but my username, obviously is PM_DMNKLR. Some places don't let me use an underscore, so for those i don't, but it still says PMDMNKLR on those sites. Anyway, I've been working on a projekt for Modders-Inc and Thermaltake, in a contest being hosted by them. If this post needs moderation or editing, ANYTHING AT ALL, PLEASE email me or something to let me know, since I'm a noob here and PM isn't available to me yet (my sponsor and the original host site of this projekt require that I link to their sites, regardless of where else I post at, and I was given permission from Bill Owen, to use his image, hotlinked from his site). Anyway, w/out further ado, I present to you... Projekt Optimus Prime, a keyboard and mouse mod competition entry... (I'm just copying and pasting from the modlog on my pc, so it's a really long post, sorry)

First Post 10/13/2011:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hello all, my name is Ronald Smith and I am more commonly known as PM_DMNKLR. This is my entry and mod log for my submission into the Thermaltake Ttesports and Modders-Inc keyboard and mouse mod competition, of which it has the (obvious, lol) title of "Optimus Prime".

I'll start off with promoting my sponsor(s) :D My only sponsor, for the time being, is Bill Owen from MNPCTECH. He was generous enough to toss me some sweet vinyl film! Thanks again, Bill!
    [​IMG]

Next, I'll post the concept images from my design submission over on my thread @ Modders-Inc :D

The Challenger Ultimate keyboard:
    (Note that when I made my design, I didn't realize until the end of it, that I'd unknowingly used a reference image from, apparently, a European version of some sort, lol, but my actual mod will be adapted to the US version accordingly, of course)

[​IMG]

A slightly different version, of which will most likely not see the light of day (don't have enough film, lol), but I figured maybe someone might like to see the 2 versions i came up with. I like both designs myself :D
    [​IMG]

Here's the fan, though I'm still unsure, as I've mentioned before, in the thread on Modders-Inc, as to whether or not I'll actually do it. If I have enough materials, and time, then yes, I'll have at it, but this was clearly noted as a POSSIBILITY with no guarantee, lol.
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture to explain the function and design of the "exhausts":
    [​IMG]

And finally, the design for the Black Element mouse:
    [​IMG]

Stay tuned, there's definitely more to come!

Second post 10/16/2011:
    Ok, so a small update for the time being. I decided it was about time I started working on the antenna that I have, to start getting the parts of the exhaust pipe - usb ports ready, before the Challenger Ultimate and Black Element arrive. We've got 30 days from when they arrive to complete our mods, so I'm trying to do what I can before they arrive, lol. I'm sure I'm not the only one either, so here goes the first update!

First up, some pix just showing the process:

Top.
    [​IMG]

Bottom, with rubber anti-slide nubs on.
    [​IMG]

Bottom, close-up, with rubber anti-slide nubs off.
    [​IMG]

Screws out, shell opened up, revealing the magnetic plate, which is designed for wall/surface-mounting.
    [​IMG]

Magnet plate re-purposed with a clear twist-tie, and is now a refrigerator magnet :D
    [​IMG]

I also re-purposed the nubs to use with my current keyboard, and am so glad I did too, lol.

Magnet plate off, inner wires exposed.
    [​IMG]

To get these to come out properly, I had to use my razor knife to cut the flex boot that was holding all 3 together, which was a little bit of a pain, but it worked and I didn't screw anything up, thankfully, lol.

Here's 1 of the antenna spires, after I popped off the protective plastic shell.
    [​IMG]

Next up, the innards disassembled the only way I knew how, lol, and I'll be re-purposing those parts with some other projects later on anyway, so no biggie :)
    [​IMG]

Here are the 3 antenna spires' opened up shells, right next to the elbows. I'll try to use as much of these parts as I possibly can.
    [​IMG]

Finally, the last pic is of 1 of the elbows disassembled. Getting those "pins" out was a royal pain. You wouldn't think it would take so long and so much effort, but it's deceiving, lol.
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the blurry pic, it just refused to come out any better, I tried like 10+ times, to no avail, all different lighting, etc.

Stay tuned, as there's plenty more coming later on!

Third Post 11/01/2011:

Well recently I was struck with some serious health concerns, but lemme just give u the lowdown. Originally, due to a swollen and hardened lymph node, I initially thought a serious infection was occurring, especially due to my wisdom teeth cutting through once again, but well, the good news is, no infection, the bad news: I was coming down with the flu again, and am still in the process of getting over it. I'm not thru the woods just yet, but I'm not letting it keep me down too much either. At least it happened before the stuff came in though, that's a plus. However much time can be bought is however much I'll take, lol.

I was also able to finally make it out to storage recently, and got a few old mobos to try my hand at removing some of their USB header pins for use inside the keyboard, as well as a few other items.

Fourth Post 11/30/2011:
    Ok, well, for the time being, I'm still using Photobucket. We shall see how it works out, hopefully well, lol. Anyway, I've a couple of updates, of which I'll be posting separately. So a little update here. I recently had to custom make a tool to use for this and other mods, so I whipped out my trusty Craftsman rotary tool, sorted through all of my extra allen wrenches, and got to work. The following pics will show you what I started with, what I had to achieve, what I made, and the reason for it. Enjoy :)

What I started with:

[​IMG]

What I needed to mod it to fit:
    [​IMG]

Here's what that kind of screw goes to (I had to jimmy-rig a screwdriver to finagle the first screw out so I could use it for reference. That was a royal pain!):
    [​IMG]

Here's the work area with the PPE (Personal Protective Equipment for those who don't know:
    [​IMG]

Close-up shot of the allen wrench, pre-mod, inserted into a hole in some insulation styrene:
    [​IMG]

And now a nice pair of post-mod shots of the wrench (pix would be better if my camera was also better, lol):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the end result, the OP toy disassembled:
    [​IMG]

I'll leave out the reason for this, for the time being. I want it to be a surprise, especially should it not work, lol, wanna cover my bases XD.

Next up, I was recently able to make it to storage and got out a few older motherboards that I'd set aside for practicing my soldering and de-soldering. These were the perfect candidates for the USB port pin donations :D

Here's the stack of boards:

[​IMG]

Here is the first pic of the pin location, post-de-soldering:
    [​IMG]

And here's the second pic, different angle:
    [​IMG]

The pins I needed:
    [​IMG]

I'll be posting another update shortly, of what came for me via UPS yesterday, stay tuned!

Fifth Post 11/30/2011:
    Ok, so around noon on Tuesday, the 29th, I got a knock on the door. I almost always get a little excited when I hear this particular knock, lol, as this particular UPS driver doesn't like to just set things down in the rain, so I knew who it was. Most others just drop n run, lol, friggin' ninjas XD. Anyway, here are the pics of what was in the package, I'm still all giddy with excitement!

Here's the box in my livingroom, not very small, lol, I almost spazzed when I felt the weight of it too!

[​IMG]

Here's what was inside:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yes, Shannon sent me both the set to be modded, as well as the ones for my prize, woot! Now I just gotta go for that awesome top prize spot and nab that money, lol!

Here's the Black Element mouse (sorry for the blurry pic, it was the best my lame-o camera would take, grr):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the Challenger Ultimate keyboard:
    [​IMG]

The protective bag is also a carrying case, and has pockets on the inside, as well as a detachable strap (not shown):
    [​IMG]

Out of the bag:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Accessories:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That last pic is of the dummy keys, "gamer" keys and key-cap puller. Awesome :D Also, try as I might, I simply just couldn't get the lighting correct. I even tried to edit with GIMP, but not many improvements in colors. For the lights I was using, I'm surprised they emitted so much yellow, it's crazy. I'll be using different lighting when i take other pics now, I've learned my lesson :)

I think perhaps later on I'll maybe do a review of these bad boys, but for now, it's an after-thought, lol. Btw, these things are gorgeous! The keyboards are kinda heavy too, but that's ok, I hate my current keyboard's lack of weight, lol. It also tells me it's well constructed, which is obviously a good thing :) More coming soon, stay tuned! Also, if you're seeing the pics looking as if they're cut off, tell me, sometimes they do and sometimes not, so I need to know if they do, upon which I'll just post the links to the images and you can click them to view each on my Photobucket account, thanks :)

Last edited: 21 Jan 2012
  2. PM_DMNKLR

Well I'm sure some people have been wondering what all's been going on, lol. Anyway, I have a small update for ya here. Nothing major (yeah right, lol), but it's something. I'm trying to get all the main parts prepped for paint n such, so I can get all of that out of the way. The last few weeks have just been a ridiculous rollercoaster for my family and I, otherwise I'd have a LOT more done. Just stressing out too much to really even consider concentrating on anything to do with this really. Anyway, I've been working on it a lot lately, and tonight I'm going to continue getting as much done as possible. Thank you again for your patience, and now, w/out further ado, here are some snapshots to explain what I actually HAVE accomplished so far, lol. Enjoy :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'd somehow accidentally erased all of the pix I took of the plastic bending, which sucks. Anyway, I had an issue where the plastic stretched too much and created a hole in the outside bend. Well, it took awhile to get some new Gorilla Glue, but after I did, I figured out a fix (I'm hoping it'll work like it should anyway). I cut a piece off of another one that I was messing with, bent it, GG'd it using a cotton swab (works awesome btw), and then taped it off, since I don't have any clamps that'd work for this situation.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next, after it dried and cured, I taped the base down and heated up the edges of the glued piece, and molded them around the gaps underneath, to finish covering up the holes. Then I used the other cotton swab end and applied the GG in a manner of filling all gaps, like filler putty, and even smoothed it over in spots as well. As it begins to cure, it also becomes slightly more pliable, and easier to manipulate (FYI). The following is the result of what it looks like thus far (not fully cured yet, lol):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then, I popped out, bagged and labeled the keyboard keys in an organized fashion:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After that, I taped off the back of the backplate for the keys, upon which I'll also re-apply the keys, once I've prepped them for paint (more on that later):
    [​IMG]

Next, I taped off the nubs, up by the fan port, and used a small sanding drum to smooth them down as well as possible. After that, I ended up having to sand them down, in order to fully make them disappear. In the process, I realized I couldn't do so w/out also sanding the immediate area of the shell, so I decided to go ahead and sand the entire shell down (note that it's currently a work in progress still):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's it for the keyboard so far, now on to the mouse. I began by figuing out where the screws were (figured it out the same day as attix84 actually, lol, didn't post then cuz it seemed kinda pointless to toss up 1 or 2 pix as an update), an Exacto blade works rather well for this, btw.
    [​IMG]

Once I unscrewed the screws and bagged them up, I gently pulled the shell apart.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In order to finish disassembling, I noticed that there's 1 little nub that had to be ground out. here's the before, the grinding cone that I used, and the end result:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next step was to grind out the nubs holding the side buttons on (will be GG'd back on later):
    [​IMG]

Then I taped off the areas not being painted on that inner part of the top shell component, which also has the side buttons, labeled as well:
    [​IMG]

I disconnected the mouse USB cable, "adjusted" the flex boot, and then bagged n taped it off for paint prep:
    [​IMG]

Next step was to sand the top, including the main area, where the Tt logo was, enlarging it for the Autobots logo, and then taping it off for paint prep:
    [​IMG]

I then did the same to the side grip components, but smooth sanded them, all the way down to the plastic, removing the rubber coating completely:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here I am, after applying the tape to the bottom shell piece, and am now cutting the specific pieces out to mask off for paint prep:
    [​IMG]

And the bottom piece masked off (including the main component area of the inside), with the sliders, serial # label and weight cover plate removed:
    [​IMG]

Hopefully very VERY soon, I'll be tossing up another sweet update. Until then, thanks for checkin' it out!

Seventh Post (12-28-2011):
    Ok, sweet, I got the top piece of the keyboard shell all sanded down. Went from 150 to 220, then wet-sanded with 500. It's baby-butt smooth, but should I hit it with rubbing compound? I'm thinking it should be perfectly fine, since it's being painted. I just needed to get it smooth and remove the texture off of the surface, which I've accomplished all tasks for that. Any input? Thanks :)

Here's what it looks like after being wet-sanded:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Eight Post (12-30-2011):
    Ok, so I have a small, but major update. I've been working on this for the last 1 to 1 1/2 days, and am seeing some major progress in my concept coming to fruition :) To start off, here are the pics of the one tube I was using the GG to fill in, etc. It took me 3 applications of GG, some filing and a lot of sanding, lol.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After that, I had to cut it off of the base, because the point where it bent was further up on this one than on the other, and thus needs to be "adjusted".
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic of what's to come. This should give a good idea of what the bent pipe/tube will look like, coming out of the bottom of the main tube, for the exhaust pipe USB ports/docks. I still need to do some more work on that piece as well, of course. It needs to be sanded down more, to fit more evenly with the second pipe/tube.
    [​IMG]

Finally, here are pics of the acrylic discs I had to cut out, to add to the USB ports, as well as the pipe/tube pieces. I did these, so that they fit more securely into the white tube ends, and create stability in the process of structure.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stay tuned for more updates, coming soon, and once again folks, thanks for watching!

3. PM_DMNKLR

Time for yet another little update. I've finally had the chance to "dig into" the discs that I had cut from the much larger acrylic disc. Here are a few pictures to show what i did, but first, the explanation. I first took the discs, and matched them into pairs. Next, I took each pair, and one set at a time, applied Testor's model cement to them, following the instructions (but forgot to not use as much as I ended up using, lol). After I had done those two steps, I set the glued disc pairs roughly in en even square, and set a roll of masking tape on top, distributing space evenly, and then stacked a few full spindles of CD's and DVD's on top, to add weight while they dried. After that I'm just showing a pick of the plugs stacked, and then the fourth pic is after I'd drilled, filed and sanded 5mm diameter holes into two of them. The other two will remain solid, as there is nothing that needs to protrude through them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next up, we have the USB ports, that will be used in the exhaust pipes. What I did here was to remove the boots from them, along with the .5mm thick sheath (which caused the thickness overall to be 5mm diameter); removed the pin block from the ends; applied .25mm thick heatshrink (which gave me a 4mm diameter thickness, and also allows for the shielding to remain intact, protecting the wires from potential interference), and it just-so-happened that the heatshrink I had on hand was this color of blue, lol; next I drilled out the holes, in the black end-plugs, taking them from 3mm diameter to 4.5mm diameter, per necessity to accommodate the passage of the wires; finally, I fed the wires through the elbows, and through end-plugs (of which will allow me to swivel the exhausts from one side, to straight upward).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Btw, for anyone interested in using a rotary tool to cut the type of plastic that is used in the molding around the USB ports, such as these, it is one of the messiest experiences EVER, lol. This stuff becomes a powder, no joke! You have been warned.

Anyway, while it may not seem like a significant update at first, those who've worked in this type of scenario, or with these materials, know that it's a much bigger step than it appears to be, lol. Thanks for watching folks, and if my Photobucket has issues again, I apologize. I can't yet afford to pay for a premium account quite yet. Thanks for your support!

4. Frenkie

Frenkie Lets mod the world!

Very nice and detailed, love it man !

5. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

I love the proposed design for the keyboard and mouse. Should be really interesting this. I have subscribed to keep up with your progress.

Last edited: 6 Jan 2012
  6. PM_DMNKLR

Here's a fairly (what may seem as) minor update, but still a decent step, considering what I've had to do here. It's an important step, regardless. Anyway, to start off, I decided it was time to tackle the exhaust pipe pieces themselves, the outer tube pieces. So first up, there are a couple of pics of them, after having been cut, filed and sanded. Next are the discs (for the USB port ends), after having been glued (I used super glue this time, it worked MUCH better than the model cement), filed, and sanded to fit. They're a tad loose, but that's actually a good thing, as I need room for the glue to be able to move around and not smudge out all over the place, lol. In the image, they are just setting there, in the tube openings, and NOT glued in. The reason for this is that they are not finished. I have yet to cut, file and sand the holes in them, so as to allow the USB ports to actually protrude through them, allowing access to the USB device(s) to be plugged into them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Following that is a pic of the second bent pipe, the one I had to use Gorilla Glue on as a filler. Because it had bent at a longer length than the other tube did, I had to cut it down and sand out the opening on the plate part, so as to allow the tube to slide in some, and after that I Super Glued it. After the glue had finally cured 100%, I was able to un-clamp it and then apply more Super Glue to the other side, creating a more stable and solid bond. I'm showing a pic of the first application, but not the other, as it seems too small an issue to add another image. Rest assured, it has worked very well so far. I need to sand/grind down the part of the tube (the part shown here in the picture) before I can go any further, however.

[​IMG]

After that, I attacked the 2 USB dongle ports, so as to fit into the tube ends of which they belong.

[​IMG]

The final pic is of the Autobots logo, on the mouse's palm rest area. Whilst not perfect, this took FOREVER to cut out as well as it is, and I personally think it turned out pretty darned spiffy, lol. To accomplish this, I used my PC to print the image into a square just under 1"x1", and then cut it out, fed it through my mini Xyron sticker maker (the one designed for 1" wide stickers), affixed it to the Frog Tape, and then proceeded to cut it out gradually with my Exacto knife. That part alone took me over an hour and a half to accomplish, as my hand kept cramping, and I needed to ensure that the paper and tape wouldn't keep tearing. To do that, I had to do repeated cuts with the blade. Frog Tape is very strong stuff, so it takes a good 2 to 4 cuts to go through the paper and the tape 100%. After I finished with the logo, I put a plastic baggie over it and taped it off with standard masking tape.

[​IMG]

Stay tuned for more, as this week I'm pushing to get even more accomplished. This weekend is a bit of a blur, and thus I didn't have any time or energy to devote to the mod. This upcoming week, however, not including Tuesday, should prove to be much, MUCH more productive. I'm going to Walmart on Monday, to get some chemical gloves and some Superclean, for a task that should easily help me gain back a good 1 to 2 days' worth of work. I'll make special note as to how well it works. I did do extensive research on the subject, however, and even tried Goo Gone, but to no avail. From all I've seen, however, on forum after forum after forum, as well as video after video, Superclean seems to be THE stuff to use for this task. Until then, however, stay tuned and happy modding!

Edit: it would appear that there is no chemical way to do what I need to do, as even the stuff that all says it's safe for plastics, will still cause the plastic to become pliable in the process of attacking the paint. I couldn't get anything except Krud Cutter Graffiti Remover to even touch the paint at all, and it ended up causing the plastic keys to become pliable, which is a definite no-no!

7. PM_DMNKLR

Also, I would like to thank those of you who are watching this. I've not received any notifications as to comments, via email, so I didn't know that any were left. Thank you for your kind words, it's very much appreciated!

8. jeckulz

jeckulz New Member

Go on then, I'll sub ya : )

9. PM_DMNKLR

Well I decided to go ahead and start some video, so as to remedy any issue one might have with images. It's not a full catch-up video, but it's the first one and covers a decent amount of the main things. I'm still not used to doing videos, lol, so please bear with me ;)

http://youtu.be/JliaUmTHQxM

10. yassarikhan786

11. PM_DMNKLR

Thanks for embedding it for me like that, i just did a quick copy-n-paste to all of my worklogs, lol. Not all sites are the same ;) Plus it gave me a chance to introduce people to my new Youtube page, dedicated specifically to my modz :D

12. yassarikhan786

It's really easy to embed dude. Click the "share" button on a youtube video and copy the code. Make sure to only include the code after the "/" between the

13. PM_DMNKLR

Ok, y'all, finally I got my modlog updated. Finally got all of the stuff transferred over to an FTP account, so I shouldn't have any more bandwidth issues. Special thanks goes out to Mr. Robert "DeviceUnknown" Dailey for the FTP account, he's a life saver! And on that note, more updates shall be cranked out very soon. Sorry for no posts this week, the weather here, amongst other things, has simply not allowed me to mod anything whatsoever :( More coming soon though :) Stay tuned!

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Subbed :).

15. yassarikhan786

+1 :D.

16. PM_DMNKLR

Life just keeps getting bet... worse. Apparently our (now former) landlord has been talking with Fannie Mae about buying our home, and decided not to notify US about this. So we get home from talking with our wedding photographer, to find a nice, huge notice taped to our front door, explaining that Fannie Mae now owns our home, and that we "have options". Seriously?! What the bird?! Are you birding kidding me?! Perhaps something good might finally come out of this, since J&K Rentals have been ripping us off this whole time, hopefully this will end much better than it appears for now. If ever there was a time when we need support and prayer, this is that time. Please folks, help us out somehow, even if it's only by means of prayer. We can't lose our home, we have no other living options. Thank you.

In case anyone is wondering as to why I'm posting this part, not only does it affect my life entirely in general, but if we have to move out or something, I won't be able to finish this mod either. This is just icing on the cake of every other issue I've had to deal with since I began this mod. This last 1 1/2 to 2 months have just been progressively getting worse and worse.