1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Properly Glue Acrylic or Plexi

Discussion in 'Modding' started by [S]huttle, 5 Feb 2005.

1. bahgger

bahgger Minimodder

thank you! :)

2. Etacovda

Etacovda What's a Dremel?

dichloromethane is another alternative.

3. THDBASED

THDBASED What's a Dremel?

I am still not sure which IPS Weld-On number I should use to glue 2 pieces of acrylic together in a 90-degree angle. Should I use number 4 or number 3? I know that number 4 is thinner than number 3 but is that a good thing or a bad thing? I am not trying to make it airtight but I do want the edges to be smooth and nice looking....

4. Kickn

Kickn What's a Dremel?

Generally speaking I've found that thinner products have a better finish and thicker ones have a stronger bond. If your not using this to hold pressurised water then you'd be fine with the thinner. Its easier to apply and better for res's and such :)

Hope that helps

5. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

Number 4 is thinner so it spreads into crevaces more easily (especially important for making water-tight assemblies). Number 4 also sets rather slowly. Number 3 is slightly thicker and sets MUCH faster. You have a maximum of 10 or 15 minutes to shift around the pieces you're bonding with #3 so you better be sure the pieces are where they need to be when you apply it.

#3 should be fine for what you're doing.

Last edited: 8 Jun 2005
  6. venomz

venomz What's a Dremel?

mann

i cant find weld on number4 any where. i tryed home depotand any craft store around me . itsmaken me mad lol

7. H311R4153R

H311R4153R What's a Dremel?

You cna also get chloroform at your pharmacy, this welds plexi very good.

8. Kickn

Kickn What's a Dremel?

If you take a small bottle of acetate (available at your local pharmacy) and place a few chips of acrylic in there at approximately 1:20 (acrylic to acitate) or 1:40 then u can use that with good success.

9. THDBASED

THDBASED What's a Dremel?

Ok thx, I think I will use the number 4 because it has a cleaner finish...I do not mind that it has to dry longer...

10. sirbogey

sirbogey What's a Dremel?

I run a search on google regarding the K&M Wholesale company, but didn't get any proper results. I also contacted IPS, the Weld-on manufacturer and they put me in touch with the UK representative. They don't stock any in the UK, but could order it. This will take 4-6 weeks, since that material is not allowed on the plane. I think I'm gonna order one can for myself. Have you guys come across other products in the meantime???

11. sirbogey

The website of the Weld-on 4 importer in the UK is called www.ips-plastics.com and the phone number is: 0191 521 3111. Remember it takes 4-6 weeks for delivery.

12. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

Did you try to contact local plastics shops or sign makers? They usually have some for sale. Plastics shops sell the materials that developers need for greenhouses and large office buildings and they usually make display cases and custom assemblies so they use the product themselves.

13. sirbogey

will try a local plastics shop; you are right, they must be selling something. thanks

14. ralph.pickering

ralph.pickering What's a Dremel?

It sounds a lot like the stuff you use to solvent-weld plumbing pipes together. I'm not sure if it's the same as the pipes are generally PVC, but you could try it. At some shops you have to ask for it because they keep it locked up. I guess solvent addicts try to steal the stuff. Which reminds me... work in a well ventilated area - this stuff gives you the mother of all headaches if you breathe it in too much.

15. Ghlargh

Ghlargh What's a Dremel?

You cannot use the same solvents on acrylic and PVC.

Acetone, thinner etc works great on PVC, but does nothing to proper brand name acrylic like Plexi.

16. roll1

roll1 What's a Dremel?

It seems lots of manufacturers make acrylic and give them trade names like Plexiglas and Lucite but they are chemically the same as any other acrylic and are made from Methyl Methacrylate Polymer. Phew!

That being said I have used acetone on acrylic and it does act as a solvent and melt it but it causes stress fractures (crazing) and the butt joints I tried by painting on the acetone fell apart because the acetone had mostly evaporated before I could get the two bits together in time.If it was done like huttle with the syringe it might work and might be even better with a little acrylic dissolved in it to slow up the evaporation but having seen the crazing etc. I dont think you could expect a strong watertight joint using that stuff.In my opinion acetone and acrylic don't go together so the acetone I have left will be used for removing nail polish.

17. Ghlargh

Ghlargh What's a Dremel?

I have at least 3 types if acrylic sheets in my basement, one is brand name Plexiglass and cannot be dissolved with thinner, acetone or metyl-etyl-keton (swedish spelling), while the other 2 brand can be dissolved.

I have allso used car polish on the brand name plexiglass, and that works great, but for the cheaper acrylics, the solvents in the car polish just dissolves the plastic and basically makes the polishing cloth stick to the plastic :D

18. roll1

roll1 What's a Dremel?

Ghlargh I don't know much about Plexiglas so looked for it on web and found these references.

"Plexiglas" (like "Acrylite," "Lucite," and, I think maybe "Perspex" in theUK) is a trademark for acrylic plastic(polymethylmethacrylate). "Lexan" is a trademark for polycarbonate plastic, a totally different(and more expensive) class of clear material.”

You can find Acrylic, trade name plexiglass (Rohm & Haas) at any plastic supply outlet.

Acrylic is a plastic, several companies make it under different trade names. Also known as plexi glass. This is a trade name.

PMMA
    The chemical company Rohm and Haas makes windows out of it and calls it Plexiglas. Ineos Acrylics also makes it and calls it Lucite.

Known by trade names such as Plexiglas, Acrylite, and Lucite,
    this material is great for glazing, dollhouse windows, cutting
    boards, or anywhere a clear material is needed.

19. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

As to looking for the weld-on products, I also just found a new/cheaper supplier. My local trophy store. They make display cases/boxes out of plexi, for baseballs, footballs, toy models, and even very large enclosures for stuff like suits of armor, and (very weird) skeletons; they told me it was for a musem :) . They had told me that they use #4, and get better bonds with it. They told me that they tried #3 and few others, but #4 gave them the most secure and clear bonds. We both use polycarbonate sheets aka acrylic.
    From where I am from we call any plastic that is clear, plexiglass. No matter what it is made out of.

20. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Working with plexi alot (to be an understatement), i.e. convergence, etc, weld on 4 works very very well with either the applicator bottle or syringe. I buy it locally from the plastic shop and I can get it anytime. I never use it all though, I have had more evaporate than go on glass...

Tags: