1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Proud owner of a GTX 680... for a day

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Neogumbercules, 30 May 2012.

1. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I would have told them to ship me what I ordered, THEN I would send back the 680 once I got the right card. Plus they pay shipping all ways for both items

It sucks that their mistake and your honesty is keeping you from your computer for 2 weeks

2. chewbaccas_nan

chewbaccas_nan Minimodder

Well years ago I ordered a band t shirt from play and got a street fighter t shirt sent through, I rang up and told them and they sent my the correct t shirt, but I still kept the one they sent me....what a rebel I am.

3. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

This ones easy to sort out under UK law but Neogumbercules is a yank! :D

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Although very rare, some businesses, usually the small ones, they'll upgrade your order, or give you a rebate in some fashion, like free shipping both directions for their mistake. So you save a few dollars for your good act as well. Or sometimes they would say "keep it, and here what you ordered", or "send it back, and here is the GTX 680 new, for our error". They do this to keep you loyal to them... so that if one day they don't have the best price for a product, you might still consider purchasing from them, to support their good business practice.

5. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Well I am holding out for either next day return shipping or an upgrade to the DC2 top version, and besides, I can just keep using the 'ol 560Ti while I wait.

6. Neogumbercules

A true blue New Englander! And Newegg is over in California, which makes the waiting period even worse :waah:

7. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

If this was in the UK, would you be able to keep it?

8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

No. They'd have to pay to sort return of the GTX 680 and the GTX 670 would be treated as if it was never delivered, which is wasn't! Two separate issues both of which the retailer would have to put right.

9. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

This is very rare indeed. I found a shop here that actually does something like this:

10. feathers

feathers Minimodder

When I bought a new pair of Sennheiser HD 595 headphones some years ago. Amazon sent me a second pair by mistake.

The 670 may be comparable to 680 at stock speed but it can't be exactly the same can it. I get 200+ on the core and +500mhz OC on the vram with mine.

11. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

I don't think people are saying it's the same, but in all fairness two 670's make a better choice when you think about one muh you'd save.

12. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I think the 670 is great for the money and the performance isn't too far behind.

13. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Some years back (2004 I think, I was earning 12k and therefore skint) I ordered a GeForce 6600 and was surprised when a 6600GT from the same manufacturer (PNY) arrived the next day. The GT was a much better card but also cost a fair bit more.

I contacted the company I bought it from to let them know and they insisted that they had sent me the right card and that there was no reason to send it back. They literally would not accept that they had made an error.

So I spent the rest of that summer playing Far Cry, Doom 3 and a little later Half Life 2 with decent image settings when I never expected to be able to. It was a happy time, before responsibility kicked in.

14. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I am not convinced you were serious about correcting their mistake. You could have threatened legal action once they refused to accept your returning the better GPU.

15. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I distinctly remember having a proper, shouty argument over the phone because the rep was trying to make out that I was the one being stupid. The company folded a short time later. I like to think I was the catalyst.

16. Neogumbercules

Newegg wants me to send back the card, get a refund, and pretend like it never happened. I'm happy to do that, but I'm gonna be fighting for some kind of recompense for this waste of my time/money. They won't do an exchange, and they conveniently ignored the part about expedited shipping on my return order. The reason they won't do an exchange is something along the lines of "we don't know if this is a problem in our ordering system or in our warehouse."

Well if it was a problem in their ordering system they'd probably figure it out by now because they would have more people bugging them. If it was a problem in their warehouse it was probably down to some dude throwing the wrong item in my shipping box. I don't see why that would prevent me from receiving a straight exchange. Now I have to spend more time and money to get a replacement.

I have a feeling I might have to pick up the phone with these people.

17. GoodBytes

Be sure to log everything, and when things don't go too well for you.
    Post your story to Consumer Report blog site, http://consumerist.com/.
    Also at the same time, post your problem on NewEgg Twitter channel (http://twitter.com/#!/NEWEGG), and facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Newegg

Feel free to do what Consurist suggest... mass carpet e-mail bomb. Basically you try to gigure out CEOs names and top executives, and try to figure out their e-mail (usually, <first letter of first name>.<family name>@<companyName>.com), and e-mail everyone. They'll see how much bad rep they'll get, PLUS see how much trouble you are going to be. I think you'll be pretty pleased with what comes out at the end of the day.

Things will get moving after that :D

If you don't want to go to these extremes, Twiter them or Facebook wall your story. Sometimes, it's enough for them to send you a pre-paid shipping label, but don't expect more.

Last edited: 31 May 2012
  18. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Goodbytes is right. I badgered Dell for 2 weeks about a dead pixel on a 2209wa. Sent a email to Michael Dell (cheers GB :)) and got a brand new replacement and they let me keep the old one.

19. GoodBytes

Great to hear that!
    The thing is that companies is seeing how internet can destroy a company image, and how it can spread your bad experience. Let's say you have a really really bad experience at a local store. What will you do (assuming no internet), tell you bad experience to your friends.. and they might say your story to other friends who will simply go "I never had a problem with them".
    So it's limited damage, and still under "controllable levels" for the company. But when it's on the net... oh boy.. it affects thousands of people even million. And with the ability to show pictures, and explain in details what happened, it has a bigger impact on people, and can make people change their mind.

(except Apple users: http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/29/tim-cook-why-i-joined-apple-/, where Tim Cook said himself: "when a customer got mad at a company, they'd continue to buy. If people got mad at Compaq, they'd buy Dell").

20. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Those headphones would be bigger than the DVD Amazon sent me in duplicate because of an address label screwup - they wrote off the first one and sent a second, then Royal Mail sorted out the label so I got the original order delayed that Christmas.

They actually dragged their heels over the returns process, clearly thinking I was mad for wanting to be honest and return the duplicate (of Star Wars Attack of the Clones, which was new at the time) when I should've just flogged it on Ebay. Now that Amazon is a giant and doesn't want to pay tax in this country, I wouldn't bother next time.

on the OP - hold out for shipping costs minimum, cannot believe they're being bureaucratic about their own screwup for a not exactly cheap GPU.