1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Proud owner of a GTX 680... for a day

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Neogumbercules, 30 May 2012.

1. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Meh, just tell them you didn't have your glasses on and now you do it quite clearly reads 670 and not 680 and enjoy your free upgrade.

If they are going to be douchebags about things when all you were trying to do was be honest with them, they kind of deserve it.

2. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

I'm gonna see what their response it. I asked for my complaint to be elevated to a supervisor. Failing that, your suggestion warrants consideration.

In the meantime I'm "stuck" with this 680.

3. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Must be a hard life! ;)

You did the right thing though - as honest a chap as I like to think I am, I'm not sure I would have done the same (depending on where I ordered it from).

Kudos.

4. SpAceman

SpAceman What's a Dremel?

Seems like you have made a pretty reasonable effort get have it replaced. I would just send one more email to CS saying you want a courier to deliver the replacement while picking up the 680 at a time suitable for you. You are unable to spend any amount of time without a GPU as it would be detrimental to your productivity and you will not pay for shipping for a mistake on their part.

Enjoy your 680.

If they send you a replacement with no effort to take back the 680 I call dibs on it. I shall pay for shipping. Nothing else. :naughty:

5. Neogumbercules

Sorry spAceman but the card is going back to newegg ;)

I hooked up with Newegg live chat customer support, shipping dept. this time, not RMA, and explained my case. She told me they would send me a pre-paid shipping label to send back the card for an exchange. A little push in the right direction got me upgraded to 2nd-day shipping on the 670.

Apparently the issue with the refund-only was because they were worried something in their database was mixed up, so had I requested an exchange, I would have just received another 680. I think it's unlikely that this is a database issue, as they've already sold upteen DC2 670s but.. eh. Once they confirm that it wasn't a database issue (I gave her the UPC, serial and product number) they will send me the RMA exchange labels and hopefully it'll all be sorted. We shall see.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I thought you said they had sent you a DCII box and someone had put in a 680 inside :duh:

Should have kept the 680 is there was no foul play, only a packing error!

7. Neogumbercules

:duh::duh::duh:

That's ok Bindi haha. I was probably gonna return it anyway. Open box, someone returned it for a reason...could have some kind of problem that hasn't cropped up on me yet. Besides, I want that BA 670 DC2 with it's custom cooler and high levels of overclockability. At the end of the day I'll be getting just as good if not better performance on the DC2.

LordLuciendar, NethLyn and Fizzban like this.
  8. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I think you did the right thing. Have some rep for being decent :)

9. Neogumbercules

:thumb: Should get my email today.

10. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Play messed up on several occasions with me CD wise.

The most notable of which i ordered Soundgardens 'Badmotorfinger'..

What did i get?

George Michael's Greatest Hits

They said they would send the correct item as soon as i posted George back...Id have to pay the postage and it would not be refunded..

Needles to say i have never purchased an item from them again.

11. Neogumbercules

680's ready to ship out tomorrow afternoon. All of their 6-series cards are out of stock, so here's hoping they get a new batch by the time my RMA shows up.

12. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

I think this thread should serve as a reminder to how these big e tailers work.

In an ideal world you sit there thinking you are doing the right thing in being honest but the fact is the large e tailers dont give a **** and the only one who gets hassle is you.

No card. Which could mean no machine. For a week, 2 weeks who knows. Why should the onus be on you to sort it and be inconvenienced by others mistakes. Try making that work in any other retail situation!

13. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

What Mr bungle said. No way would I have returned it. It's their error and you should not be inconvenienced because they couldn't be bothered to double check your order.

Most of the UK retailers have very poor aftersale support, and have T&Cs which violate UK trading laws. And the very biggest companies like Amazon and eBay, pay a fraction of the tax their supposed to pay for operating and taking money out of the British economy, because they're officially based in tax havens and so are not obliged to pay UK corporation tax, among other things.

They should have let you keep it. Notice how you now have to wait without a card and they haven't even apologised. All you are is a number in a machine to them. In future don't give yourself the hassle and just keep it.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

14. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Not at all true as a blanket statement. Just have a read about my experiences returning a faulty XBOX 360 after 3 years and 7 months of ownership...

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=217849&page=4

Also the onus would be on the retailer to sort out a problem in the short term (first 6 months). People just need to stay cool and always always use a credit card for purchases over £100. Under UK law you get so many rights it's stupid not to get the old plastic! :thumb:

15. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

In most cases open box items are :
    1) unwanted gifts
    2) "i ordered this GTX680, but i have only AGP slot" kind of issues
    3) "i ordered this GTX680 to my Sempron 140" kind of issues
    3) "i don't like the sticker on the card" kind of issues
    4) "mom/dad/wife doesn't allow me to keep it" kind of issues

Only very small part of returns are because of the issues with the item.

16. Neogumbercules

Well either way, at the end of the day, I still wanted the 670 DC2. I'll admit there were several times during this process where I wanted to just say "screw it" and keep the 680, but who knows if/how that would have come back to bite me in the ass.

I did have edging artifacts in Skyrim on my player's held items when I passed in front of certain textures using that 680. That never happened on my 560ti, so there's one potential fault with it right there.

We'll see what happens with the stock issue. I did talk them into 2 day shipping for the return item, so hopefully the wait won't be long. If the 670DC2 isn't in stock by the time they receive my return, I'll fight for something else.

17. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Moral of the story - don't open pandorias box. Ignorance is bliss

18. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

I would have told them of the error, but left it up to them if they wished to resolve it. The open-box 680 is probably worth less than the 670 in truth. Open box from Newegg can be hit or miss, but usually if there is an issue, it is apparent right away. I have ordered 4 open box P8P67 Pro motherboards from them and one open box P8P67 LE. One P8P67 Pro was DOA, which I had to RMA with ASUS, and the P8P67 LE came without a backplate (I/O Shield). Other than that though, they run rock solid.

19. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Eh, I think you handled it right. Mind, I don't feel any obligation to do "right" by a company. Companies don't give a flying **** at a rolling donut about you. They only care about making money, and it's up to the people that make up that company to decide what that means. On the one hand, you have the somewhat famous Nordstrom model - they'll take back anything, allegedly even if you didn't get it there. On the other, you have the scammy, send me your money and good luck getting what you ordered types, which tend to not last long. I buy almost all my hardware from Newegg, but I don't have any illusions that this has fostered in them any warm feelings toward me. Dealing with their CS has been, frankly, kind of a pain in the ass.

On the other hand, you ordered something new, and they sent you something (even if but gently) used. Screw that - too bad they don't try a little harder to fix their own mistake, though.

20. russ555

russ555 What's a Dremel?

If something like this happened to me I would contact them once and only once. I would let them know I am happy to return the item when I receive what I originally ordered and they have to arrange and pay for the pick up. Any hassle what so ever and I would keep it.