1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playstation 2 PS2 smartboard

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by crazydeep74, 11 Oct 2007.

1. crazydeep74

crazydeep74 What's a Dremel?

I want to try hooking a smart board to a play station 2. My teacher has a smart board and play station 2 in class. The smart board is USB and from what I understand in the little time I was talking to him its basically like a big tablet/mouse deal. I was sure the PS2 can support USB controllers, We connected them, however the board was through a hub with a few other devices. So no dice. I was thinking there must be an easy way to hook it up, any ideas. Or else I figured using some sort of micro controller and translating the commands via some software, nothing too hard.

2. crazydeep74

crazydeep74 What's a Dremel?

3. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

While I'm not usually the one to say... Not a chance in hell mate.. there's a great deal of stuff that goes into translating the positioning etc

By all means though don't give up hope if you find a way to make it work kindly let me know.

4. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

Well the PS2 DOES support USB mice, but I'd bet money that they don't use the standard USB mouse interface. Your best/only bet is just to control it with a playstation2 mouse like this one. I don't know if that's anything close to what you want (I imagine not), but without reverse engineering the mouse interface and building a translater with a PIC or something, you're probably not going to get anywhere, as Lorq said.

AH

5. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

They do not use a standard interface, it's driver controlled on PC.

6. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

Really? Didn't know that - most USB mice seem to work out of the box with XP, so I assumed there was a standard basic interface that could be enhanced by mfr drivers (e.g. logitech mice - they work with no drivers, but when you install the drivers the extra buttons start working etc.).

7. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

But these are the most annoying type of electronic boards in the world, because of the resolution everything looks aliased.

Something like a Mimio (which detects your existing pen movements) is much better as it simple copies the stuff you write and projects everything else so all text is easily readable.