1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PS3 apparently immune to over-heating

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 14 Aug 2007.

1. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Finally something positive for the PS3.......

I want to see competition!

The 360 has the software, while the PS3 has the hardware.....now let's hope both consoles get the best of both worlds because we, the consumers, will win.

2. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I'm glad that nobody was hurt, that is pretty funny

PS3 = my next console gaming system (once the prices go down)

3. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

108 hours and it didn't break a sweat.
    Oh god, that sounded stupid.

4. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

my friend didn't think it was at first, but I helped him see the funny side of things. Sony also express-shipped him a new console free of charge. (with a replacement HDMI cable for the one that the fan blades shredded)

5. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

:lol: That's the least they could do. Wow. That's insane!

6. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

with a note not to talk about the "incident" to anyone?:D

7. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

If the air was moist enough to kill the power cable, a 100 degree sauna would kill you, the air itself would be boiling, it'd be like pouring a boiling kettle over yourself. You're thinking of a dry sauna, where 100 degrees isn't unusual. For really humid ones, about 40 degrees is normal, so 49 degrees is quite a hot sauna!

8. Mr.Sadistic

Mr.Sadistic What's a Dremel?

This is actually pretty impressive.
    I work for one of the big Silicon Valley companies as a hardware engineer. I often times do a lot of EDVT (electrical device validation testing) on our hardware.

As an industry standard our products must pass the EDVT testing which involves having the device pass 4 different tests while under full load. The 4 tests (we call them corners) are:
    High Voltage - High Temp
    Low Voltage - High Temp
    High Voltage - Low Temp
    Low Voltage - Low Temp

High Temp = usually 55C sometimes 60C
    Low Temp = usually -5C sometimes -10C

To pass the spec, the device must run 12 hours at each of the 4 corners. It sounds like the PS3 exceeds this standard based on the length of time they ran the tests, at least the temperature test, I doubt the voltage was margined.

So as far as industry standards are concerned, passing the testing the PS3 underwent is great....to bad the 360 can't do the same.

On a side note...NOTHING is "immune" to overheating. Give me the PS3 and I guarantee I can make it overheat!

Last edited: 15 Aug 2007
  9. Lucidity

Lucidity What's a Dremel?

Personally I don't trust tests done by fanboys. I don't know how many of you have a PS3, but they get hot and loud. In fact the heat that the PS3 pumps out is far greater than that of my launch day 360 that is still alive and kicking, and has yet to overheat. It is amazing how hot the PS3 will get just when playing a Blu-Ray disc, about 30 minutes into the movie the fan will go to high. Not good if you watch a movie like Momento and all you hear is that whirling while the character is talking to himself. I really do have trouble believing this, simply because I own one and know the kind of heat that comes from that black George Foreman grill.

10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Pumping out heat is what its supposed to do, if your cooler is not pushing heat away from the heat source its not working, my PS3 and 360 pump out similar levels of heat, when you bear in mind that one has a 380w PSU inside it the other has a huge external brick which serves as a great foot warmer :lol: its pretty good going, at the fastest fan speed my PS3 can't be heard when the TV is set at 8, I can't silence the Xbox until 25 which means I can't really play it late at night due to the bass of booming :( Its not that one its a that much quieter the both make noise its more the pitch of the noise thats the problem with the 360 being high pitched.

Last edited: 16 Aug 2007
  11. rollo

rollo Modder

think im now on my 6th 360 ( i wont buy a new ms console, just not worth the hassle tbh, till i have confirmation it doesnt break i wont buy any new console they make)

my orginal xbox didnt have any of these issues. Still have that and it still works perfectly

first playstation still works perfectly
    first playstation 2 still works perfectly
    first ps3 never had 1 issue ( sony make some dam games lol)

12. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

I don't understand this whole "ps3 doesn't have any games" issue - most of the good games are out on both formats - it's only the 1st party games that aren't. Hide&Seek of War 1 & 2 and Forza 2 were so mind-bendingly average it contributed to me wanting to sell my 360. On the other hand, MGS4, Uncharted, Infamous, Resistance 1 & 2, Motorstorm etc are games worth bragging about.

13. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

well that sucks.. it'd be nice if they upgraded the firmware for this problem- I mean the thing doesn't crash at 50C ambient it can probably take it

Tags: Add Tags