1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PS3 can't upscale?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 16 Nov 2006.

1. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

my feelings exactly.

2. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

And in other fun PS3 news:PlayStation 3 Prices Drop in Japanese Auctions :hehe: It looks like there were more people hoping to make a quick buck than to actually play on the things. News like no upscaling is going to knock that price even farther back.

3. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

You wonder why people are reporting that there will be people getting rob right after they buy a PS3. Now if I was the guy buying a PS3 I would go with a group of my biggest freinds and maybe just maybe even a squad car to pick up my PS3 and my 40" screen. Good luck to all the suckers out there.

Remember PS3 is good but a computer with 8800GTX and quad core is even better. + get this all CRT monitors support HD content because they support more colours then a HD-TV. LOL sucks get a CRT monitor. HAHAHAHAHA

HAHA 150 PS3. I would look into running linux off these machines and making a home brewed super computer, that can predict the price drop of the PS3 at auction due to supply and demond. LOL.

Or maybe network them together and then predict what nation bush will take over next.

Or better yet plug them all in and warm up my house.

Last edited: 17 Nov 2006
  4. Henk

Henk Uninformed Opinionist

This gives me a good feeling in my stomach :D
    (I have an lcd hdtv that supports 720p) :clap:

And with the news of the PS3 being kind of open-source too, soon supporting folding@home, and the support for mouse and keyboard... I wonder how long I'll have to wait for one here in europe :duh:

5. Iago

Iago What's a Dremel?

++

Internet connection is going to kill the advantages console gaming once had over a PC. When developers know they can rush a product and get away with bugs by releasing a patch, you bet the money spent on beta testing is going to decrease exponentially.

And makes you wonder...what if you don't have your console connected to internet? I for once care little about on-line play... a connection to the internet hasn't ever been mandatory for consoles and should remain so. With this generation of consoles, I had seriously consider ditching PC gaming altogether, leaving behind the hardware upgrade thread mill, getting an iMac and relying on the X360 to do my gaming...but with each passing news, I see less and less advantages in doing so.

6. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

It does a have scaler on the hardware level, its the cell proccessor. The cell was not just developed for the PS3, IBM, Toshiba and Sony developed it for use in their products, including home appliances such as TV's to run current and future HD content.

[link]

7. Swafeman

Swafeman Minimodder

maybe the hdtvs have an upscaler? the cell is a CPU, not an upscaler chip, unless it has one on die to do such things - chances are your home appliances wont just be a cpu but a while system, a cpu (cell), a sound chip, a video upscaler, the cell is just a cpu, not a all in 1 wonder chip like sony tell you :p

8. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

A video decoder and a video scaler are entirely different.

9. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

You can use a CPU to do video scaling, you dont need a seperate video scaler if you have all these cores to use. One of the main reasons people make HTPC's is to use it to scale the video signal to your displays native resoloution.

10. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

i love this stuff.

11. careyd

careyd What's a Dremel?

All of this will blow over and this is much ado about nothing. Of course the format will be supported. Geez, how a wacky 'rumor level' story like this gets traction at all is a testament to the frenzied days we're living in with all these launches. Take a breath everyone.

12. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

And your assuming they included a scaler?

Response from Sony:

If the above answer is true then the PS3 would upscale 720p to 1080i, which it is not. This to me suggests the PS3 does not have any form of video scaler, otherwise why disable this feature in firmware?

Now if the PS3 did have a video scaler, surely Sony would have at least responded to all this negativity and say "We are aware of the problem and are working on a firmware update to rectify the issue"...

?

13. xion

xion Minimodder

I tip my hat to you godd Sir! Well said!

This statement should be true of all consumer electronics, with the masses now online its esy to forget those without. It just seems like company's use the fat pipe as an excuse to "fix it later" rather than delay launch or God forbid, set realistic launch dates.

14. DJMyst

DJMyst yeah baby

And this is EXACTLY why this kind of s*** happens. EVERYBODY wants games, hardware, etc RIGHT NOW and you ALL complain if the release date is pushed back. If the 360 and PS3 where delayed until everything was just perfect, we would STILL be waiting on the 360 and PS3 both until sometime in 2008. And if you say different, you are full of s***.

And I find it hard to believe that a website full of "supposed" home PC builders and computer buffs have a PROBLEM with firmware and driver updates.

I AM GLAD TO KNOW THAT EVERY PIECE OF KIT YOU BUY FOR YOUR PC, WORKS PERFECT OUT OF THE BOX AND *NEVER* REQUIRES ANY UPDATES. I AM ALSO GLAD TO HEAR THAT ANY GAME YOU BUY, FOR SAID PC, *NEVER* REQUIRES ANY UPDATES OR PATCHES.

Get real people, anyone who writes code is subject to failure and mistakes. NO MATTER WHAT SOFTWARE COMPANY THEY WORK FOR. Nothing is perfect on the 1st go around. NOBODY has gotten anything right the first time. I'm sure people did not take to the telephone with all the bugs it had when it was 1st released, but they dealt with it and moved on.

15. xion

xion Minimodder

you dont think it SHOULD work out of the box??? you dont buy a 4core processor and only able to use 2 until an update... or a washing machine that won't spin until a firmware patch... or a car with a defective engine management system...

Get real indeed... Yes i expect patches, i welcome them, it shows development has not stoped on a market release product, but i - like everyone else on here- know better than average joe. Take a look at the average person, then remind yourself that half the world is less intelligent than that person... :D

16. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Apparently it doesn't downscale 1080i blu-ray movies to 720P either, displaying the 480p SD version instead (the one it would display if HDCP was turned on and you didn't have it) so it does sound like it either doesn't have a hardware scaler or it isn't turned on.

I guess they could dedicate a core(s?) to scaling in software, but thats again reducing the actual power available to use for anything related to improving the games ?

17. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

the PS3 is down to 6 cores (from the original 8, 1 deactivated and 1 is for security).... to use another to scale or de-scale then you would have only 5 cores for the rest.....

DJMyst did any console before these internet connected generation of consoles had any kind of dinamic firmware update? they made sure it was working right out of the box..... IIRC.

18. Slakker

Slakker What's a Dremel?

That's why you never buy a console right at release...haha. Every new-gen console has had problems at release, ever since we started using discs instead of cartridges...the PS2, X-box, and 360 were no exceptions.

Even if the PS3 doesn't have hardware support for the other resolutions (which seems impossible...resolution is, generally speaking, a software-specified setting, and I'm sure the graphics processor they're using can support the 1080 definitions), i'd bet that it wouldn't take long for them to throw it in on the next build to come out.

Even so, a firmware update could work just fine. Maybe Sony was testing **** with their newest TVs, which, if you think about it, makes sense. And honestly...let's think about things here...if I got pissed every time something that was released didn't scale to my older products, I would probably be lighting all of my possessions on fire right now. If my monitor was VGA only, and all the new GFX cards were DVI, would I have the right to get pissed off about it? No. That would be ridiculous. Sometimes new **** doesn't work so well with your old ****...go figure.
    If you bought an HDTV specifically for the PS3 before it was released...well that was not necessarily your brightest idea. Why buy a display for something that doesn't even exist on the consumer market yet? And yes, I do realize that the PS3 was delayed, but there aren't gonna be any mad rushes or lines for HDTV's at the actual release date...so why not wait until the box is in your hands to buy the TV? On top of that, tons of people don't even HAVE HDTVs, myself included...so my opinion is "So what?" Sure, the picture quality is inferior...that sucks...but it still works, right?

That said, it would be a great move on their part to fix this "problem," but if not it's not gonna burn me any.

And if the PS3 does indeed have a disabled core, then wouldn't it make sense for Sony, in the next batch that they release to shelves, to crank up that core and dedicate it to HD scaling?

Last edited: 19 Nov 2006
  19. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

The thing is that not every cell processor comes out with 8 functional cores, so the operating system is setup to use 7 and the following is done.

Cell with 8 functional cores : disable a functional one in hardware
    Cell with 7 functional cores : disable the faulty one in hardware
    Cell with 6 or less functional cores : binned

(disabling in hardware usually entails using a laser cutter to cut the connections)

Its the same deal with graphics cards sometimes, where the more budget boards are actually the ones with less functional cores (ie reduced to 20x something instead of 24x)

20. Gemini525

Gemini525 What's a Dremel?

Hello i am new to this site. and i am one of those suckers that went and spent over $1200 after the ps3 60gb components, cords, games, extended warranty, etc. just to come to find out that ithis piece of **** downgrades on my 56" panasonic 1080i to 480p compatible t.v.. im sooo ****in pissed i dont know what to do, too shoot my hd tv or my ps3. my brothers got a sony bravia 40" which plays beutifully in 1080p and downscales to 720p on resistance because they are using a pshyclone hdmi cord. so basically i spent all this money and since my big screen HD panasonic projectior tv is not 1080p or 720p the resolution is the same as a Playstation2 (480p) god dammit. Any advice would be appreciated. besides getting a new tv is their a way i can put a scaler in my tv or something else. what a joke sony is. ****in chinks dude. so stupid yet so smart lol! please help graphics on this ps3 don't compare to my xbox 360 1080i compatibility on this tv. Again i have a 56" panasonic projection monitor t.v. model pt-56tw53. Thanks ahead of time. B.K.

Tags: Add Tags