1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PS3 games cost over £50?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 26 Sep 2006.

1. Garside

Garside New Member

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Don't forget, Sony want to stop all PS3 pre-owned traffic.

3. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

Xbox 360 games sell for £50 in the shops.

4. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Was to be expected though. But then they will be able to release them on Blu-ray in the future (assuming they ever need that much space)

5. Bursar

Bursar New Member

A large number of 360 games have an RRP of £49.99, so it's not really that different. Places like Play will probably knock them out for a tenner less, much like they do with the 360 games, so I think it's a storm in a tea cup.

However, more disturbing is that Gran Turismo will cost you over $600 if you want to buy all of the cars and tracks so you can race online!! Linky

6. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

errr....yeh i kinda saw this coming. Theres just no way games that come on blue-ray cds are going to be cheap. (they are blue-ray cds right? :x )

But yeh im going to be stocking up on the wii and its new games. Zelda Twilight princess? Super smash brothers brawl online are the most anticipated games for me, it will be fun to play the others online too with the unique controller :D

7. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

All the first gmes will most likely be released on DVD-9s as they currently shouldn't need all that much space. Especially now that cut sceens are rendered by the engine instead of pre-rendered. Give it a year or so before games start to become large enough to warrent Blu-ray (or HD-DVD for the 360)

8. Steelez

Steelez Member

If it's around $100 in the US I doubt it would be ~£50 in the UK. The conversion rate always seems to be higher and I'd expect them to be more like £70. At least that's the way it often seems to work out.

9. rupbert

rupbert New Member

Where do you shop? Highest price I've ever seen for an Xbox 360 game was £44.99 for the limited edition Perfect Dark Zero.

10. Dr Dark

Dr Dark New Member

To be honest I don't care!

I won't be buying phony products any more.
    There once was a time when their gear was good - it was sort of high end consumer gear, looked nice, was dependable, reasonably CHEAP, and worked for years.

Now they're making error after error with the PS3, so to be honest, they deserve it to be an expensive flop. But we know that it won't because all the fanboys will have been saving up, having been blinded by corporate marketing crap in the first place.

Yes, the original PS1 was pretty unique. A legend even. The PS2, less so, but this is just dire.....

I'm not even that bothered with the 360. People I know who had bought them at xmas for insane prices are now less enthusiastic about them - and these people are techies (they work in IT and are tech savvy) - who should we listen to?

I will stick with my pc. Most games eventually find their way there.... but I could be tempted to have a look at the wii....

11. riggs

riggs ^_^

Current $ to £ rate is around 1.9, so £52 sounds about right.

Is it just me, or do the PS3 system/games prices remind you of the NeoGeo?

12. JonDixon

JonDixon Decking is the new modding

Lowering the price of the console does'nt equate to higher priced games in the long term.

Say they knock £50 of the price of the console, at the bottom end they expect the consumer to buy 1 game every 3 months. Taking into account the extra £5 per game.

Sony will recoupe the difference on that consumer in 2.5 years. The lifetime of the console is what 3-4 years. So they make more in the long term.

Now increase that to a serious gamer who's buying a game every 2 months or every month, and suddenly it does'nt look that good a proposition.

When the blue-ray games start appearing, these will probably take longer to produce due to the greater content plus the manufacturing cost of blue ray discs is more than dvd or hd-dvd discs, the PS3 games I expect will be minimum of £60

I think the push to £50+ mark for games will in the market place be hard to persuade the consumer. Parents buying a console for their children who also have to buy a game will baulk at that expense.

In the UK with rising inflation, high prices will be detrimental. Even personally I would find it hard to justify to myself a £50 price tag for a game which may or may not amuse me for a few days/weeks.

If you're paying £50 a game you're going to be more discerning on the games you buy.

13. Swafeman

Swafeman Active Member

52 is a direction conversion before tax, and remember, they will pump up the prices to rip off britain prices - i can see top notch games being 59.99, really, maybe even more

with standard games at 39.99-49.99

14. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

using google to translate $ to £ and to € i get US$ 100 = 52.56 UK£ = 78.13 € add to this taxes and the ripoff britain tax. it will get above 60£ for sure. i WONT give 90€ for a game NEVER, even if the game is the best game in the world.

PS3 is doomed in the long term.

i look now at the price of the wii and its games and i say: fcuk PS3, got wii.

15. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

How much do you spend on a night out? £50? £80? Depending on your social life £50 goes into the weekend regardless, so if a game keeps you entertained for say a week, then surely it is worth more based on the time of enjoyment? But you have to put it in perspective. It comes down to what you are actually willing to pay. Is that game worth not going out this weekend?
    Purely speculative, we are after all geeks (and proud of it) so how many would actually have the choice of going out or the game?

16. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ New Member

I wouldn't pay £50 for any game for any device and most of my spare time is taken up by gaming. Being a PC gamer I am used to paying less for games but £50 is still a lot to pay for one game. This is just another of the many reasons I won't be even slightly tempted to buy a PS3 when they come out. I am however very tempted to by a Wii at launch and maybe a 360 when the price comes down more.

17. dire_wolf

dire_wolf Last Of The Dovakhiin

What do you drink? Liquid Gold? :hehe:

18. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Liquid gold? Bit warm for me, I prefer cold drinks

All depends where you go, and how many people there are, I usually end up buying drinks for people. Usually I have pre-drinks before I go out, and only take £20 with me.

19. LoneArchon

LoneArchon New Member

I See the price being higher for the uk as Perfect Darks MSRP in the US is $59.99 if ps3 games are $100.00 here I see prices in the uk near £74.99

20. BioSniper

BioSniper New Member

I seem to remember some games on the N64 costing this much and that was one of the reasons most people I know didn't get one. It was plain too pricey to run and buy the best games.
    At the end of the day I'm not getting a PS3 so the price tag doesn't fuss me in the slightest and in all fairness the only people it _should_ affect is the early adopters. My reasoning behind this is that MS have already started doing the "classics" series of cheap 360 games. The "average kid" probably won't have had a 360 in the first year anyway and now games are cheaper parents are more likley to buy them as gifts.

Still, Always good to have a laugh at how expensive things are slated to be for new consoles ;)

Tags: Add Tags