1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playstation 3 PS3 games to use DVD9 only?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by xenos360, 8 Jan 2006.

1. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

2. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

You must have a really really bad television if you cant see the jaggies on ps2 games. You can find trhem in just about every game that appears on the system. However, this is not a flaw and it will never be. If you have a game that plays great, graphics usually dont matter. It is simply just old hardware. When the ps2 came out everyone was in awe about how good games looked, it was simply beautifull. Just compared to games now adays, its just old.

Personally i enjoy the look of most ps2 games over xbox games. Yes, xbox games may look better, but usually they all have that same look. On a ps2 game you actually have to work to make a game look good and just about every game looks different and has its own style.

Last edited: 23 Jan 2006
  3. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

I do have an ancient Zenith POS-1000 (erm, might be off on the model number). The fact is, in the games I have I can see a few jagged edges- but they are pretty hard to notice. Does a jagged edge actually ruin the graphics? Consider that as your moving, the angles are constantly changing, and the jagged edges are not going to be very prominent. If I were to take a screenshot I could probbably count some jagged edges, but I can also find some very nicely drawn lines too.

L J

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

You find that in PC games as well, though. Unreal engine games tend to look similar, as do Source and whatever the hell Doom3 uses (is it the Doom3 engine??). Even if I didn't know Q4 uses the same engine as D3, I would have been able to figure out after about two seconds of gameplay - it's a very distinct style that carries between the environment, characters, AI, and just about everything. That's more of an issue of using an established system knowing there will be limitations or trying to do it yourself and make it better, knowing it'll take a ton more effort.

That said - I really agree about the jaggies of the PS2. Yes, at the time, graphics were omghaxw00tastic!!!11-good. Now they're just poo. Now we're seeing the same thing with the new consoles - a few years out, we'll be wondering how we ever considered the graphics to be good. And I'm not at all impressed by the 360's graphics, and I'll reserve judgement for the PS3 till I've seen one firsthand. Yes, Ps2 games are quite jaggy - you notice it more in some games than others. In an RPG, you're doing things a bit slower so it sticks out more. If it's an FPS or racing game or whatever, you've gotta keep your eyes on the action so you don't see it as much. Of course it also varies hugely on your setup. I play using the S-video in on my 20" dell widescreen. I noticed it back on a normal TV as well, but I was also four times further away from the TV, even if it was only twice as big.

To me it all comes back to gameplay. I've been playing games in high-definition for years, and back when I primarily used consoles, I didn't care in the slightest whether it used a CD or a DVD or an ice cube to store data, provided the game worked and was fun. If the potential is there, so much the better, but most people that care about the BD drive in the PS3 care about it for movies, not for games with higher-res textures.

5. DivineSin

DivineSin What's a Dremel?

I actually care about the Blu-ray drive for the storage more than movies, cant wait for it to hit pc's and become affordable. With the ps3, i could careless about blu-ray for movies. Same thing, i care about storage, and that i possibly could have alot more content in my games than a system with a dvd drive.

6. xenos360

xenos360 Banned

honestly i never thought that the ps2's graphics were impressive at all. especially when it first came out, i dont think anyone here can tell me that there were any impressive titles for the first year and by that time greener pastures were already here with the gamecube and xbox. the console lacks features and effects that even the dreamcast had. the only thing that the ps2 did was to produce a little jump in polygon count, however there were already GPUs out at the time that surpassed the ps2 when it came to power. its the little details in the game's graphics that draw me in and its because of subtle effects like bump-mapping that i prefer the superior graphics of the gamecube and xbox, same game but cleaner, faster, and more polished (usually).

Last edited: 23 Jan 2006