1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PS3 hardware could be hobbled

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 5 Jun 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

lol
    Anyone wanna play with my Wii?

3. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Er actually that's 3 orders of magnitude lower... :rolleyes:

Still this won't stop the console selling like hot cakes. Most people will be too blinded by the PS3 logo to see into the machine's workings.

4. hitman012

hitman012 Active Member

How many nails are in its coffin now?

5. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Wheres "kaze22" and his foolish stupid Sony Fanboi BS.

6. quack

quack Active Member

Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

Looks like the 360 and the Wii will be doing veeeeeeeeeeeeery well in the sales dept.

7. CountStiltzkin

CountStiltzkin New Member

Possibly, but most of the PS3's target demographic are unlikely to care. Even the price point of the PS3 won't hinder its sales: just look at the 360, there was all that bother about being forced to spend £500 at certain stores and it still sold out. Face it, Sony could have made the PS3 a giant phallus and it would still sell.

Be damned if I'm gettin one at that price though :D

8. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

speaking of typos: "Unconvering" isn't a word.

More bad news for the PS3? surely not! As has been said though, it will still sell simply because of the playstations reputation. I for one want to see the wii take off since its a step towards gameplay over graphics.

9. gpw111

gpw111 New Member

wots the alternative then to usin the local memory?

10. quack

quack Active Member

Of course. I forgot how easily led Sony customers are! Silly me... there I was... putting too much faith in the consumer again. *sigh*

I wish people could be more informed about their purchases (like wot we are) and not just buy every little thing just because it's got the Sony or Apple logo on it. :sigh:

11. gimplish

gimplish New Member

hopefully they'll fix up the memory read speed because the PS3 looked like an ideal PC substitute

12. RTT

RTT #parp

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

13. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

gimplish - you can't just 'fix up' this problem like applying a patch - it's a fundamental part of the architecture and would be nigh-on impossible to fix, so close to release.

(and by the way, if you bought into all that sony bull about this being a PC replacement, shame on you!)

14. Hustler

Hustler Well-Known Member

The only spec that matters to most people (sheep) when buying this, is seeing 'Playstation 3' on the case.

And lets face it, when all its really gonna do for most of its shelf life is play host to middleware shovel dross and FIFA sequels, bottlenecks will be pretty much irrelevant.

15. ChromeX

ChromeX Active Member

Sony are saying to use the main memory instead to read and write, the local memory is just an area in the main memory thats used by any programs that are running. Kinda like the L2 cache but larger, much slower and more general purpose. Seems like sony have really dropped a bollock on this one, all the other componants seem to be doin there job. A processer writing at 16MBs^-1 though :S

Last edited: 12 Jun 2006
  16. teabagger

teabagger New Member

Charlie is basing his opinions on a fundamental misunderstanding of console hardware and presenting said opinions as fact. The guy is an idiot, and it pains me to see this mis-information doing the rounds.
    The fact that he's taken the word of some anonymous sweaty erk who happened to be sat next to him on a flight, then used that 'information' as the basis for his rather ill-informed article is frankly hilarious, and should provide ample warning to the less sensationalist people among us that the article as a whole is utter rubbish.

17. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

This seriously dents the chances of their being action games based on Japanese history that feature real time weapon change and giant enemy crabs!
    :jawdrop:

18. rupbert

rupbert New Member

You have spoken like you have a sound knowledge of the PS3 hardware; so can you provide technical information as to why the 16Mb read speed will not hinder the overall performance of the cell processor?

19. shotgunefx

shotgunefx New Member

There was a good post on slashdot's link to the story that seemed to make sense

Not familar with Cell, but sounds somewhat correct, whether it is or not... :confused:

20. rupbert

rupbert New Member

Thanks.

Still, I am interested to know if teabagger will respond with his own thoughts, or merely point me to someone elses opinion.

Both arguements seem entirely logical by the way.

Tags: Add Tags