1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PS3 to shrink graphics chip to 65nm

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 27 Jun 2008.

1. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

When I spoke of price cuts, I meant on the older SKU's (which would be very limited of course) which I personally don't want. I want a newer, more power/heat efficient version that sports the DS3 (should've been there originally), a larger HDD as well as a good game bundled in that would replace the current 40GB SKU at the $399 price point. I'm not expecting a BC version at that price point either, but I don't need it since I don't want to play PS2 games anymore, let alone PS1 though I wouldn't mind it. With that said, I'm not complaining about price, I'm complaining about features. I feel like I've waited this long to buy a PS3, so I'm willing to wait for the next/better version and I hope it comes soon because IMO I don't see the 40GB selling good too much longer w/o another killer title like MGS4 coming in the next 1-2 months, and aren't the 80GB's all sold out?, so it's hard to see Sony sticking w/ the current gameplan.

I loved how you pointed out the 360 price example. I felt like I was the only one who saw this, as well. If you really think about it, the cost of the 20GB Premium + (the inevitable) XBL subscription = 40GB PS3 while the 120GB Elite + (the inevitable) XBL subscription = 80GB PS3. I know that at E3, MS is supposed to drop the price of all SKU's so this is another reason I feel like Sony will refresh its lineup with two new SKU replacements *crossing fingers* to respond to it and possibly doing like they did on the 60GB's and price dropping the 40GB's $50 cheaper to $349?, who knows.....again wishful thinking....

Last edited: 28 Jun 2008
  2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Best Comeback Ev-er.

Hahaha. :hehe:

3. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

But won't a die shrink mean a better performing gpu than the current sku's? Wouldn't it then be possible that the newer games will not be compatible with the older sku's seeing as they were coded to run with the newer more powerful chip?

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No, it's simply about cost and power use. TSMC (or whoever FAB the GPU silicon) probably is simply phasing out its 90nm tooling and more common 65nm manufacturing now costs appreciably les, because yields are optimal after a several years development.

5. rollo

rollo Modder

360 premium cost me same as ps3 did ( got 2 games with ps3 though)

360 is one noisy arse machine

ps3 is silent in comparison

my pc is quieter than my 360 is which is rather shocking considering its got alot more graphics hardware.

6. mp3manager

mp3manager What's a Dremel?

I still won't buy one until....full UK launch functionality has been restored.

I don't buy anything that has been *deliberately gimped* to reach a price point.

7. BigD79

BigD79 Gadding about...

Unless they do a PSThree i wouldn't think about changing!
    It will help get more PS3 owners, and it looks like it may coincide with Home being released, which should also boost sales which is a good thing for owners all round.
    I think Sony need to push the software side of things more, the machine is good as is,

8. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Nope. While it probably could be clocked higher given the smaller process, it will run at exactly the same speed as the current ones, for the reason you state. The advantages will be (a) cheaper manufacture; and (b) lower power consumption so lower heat output.
    I agree with your sentiments, but this quote is misleading - the original RRP was £425, not £500, so the price cut is only £136 (£425 at launch to £289 typical price now) and the current machine is lower specced (no PS2 back compatibility, no SACD support, fewer USB ports, no memory card reader) than the £425 launch model.

9. BoomAM

BoomAM What's a Dremel?

Hmm.
    I just got my PS3 and i like how quiet it is, its not silent though.

If the new'en was cheap enough and had a few extra bits and bobs thrown in, i think i would be tempted. Asuming it was quieter still...

10. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

How long before we see a PS3 Slim & Light using the new die-shrunk parts, maybe with some more integration into fewer components, a cheaper price tag and dualshock 3? That will be awesome.

11. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Dualshock three is out in Europe in July, Sony just officially confirmed it :)

12. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

13. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Comebacks tend to be in response to verbal attack...

I was merely making a statement.

14. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

I'm taking it that you don't care for games like MGS4, FFXII, LBP, KZ2 etc., or mini/addictive-games like Echchrome, PJ:Monsters, etc.? that you will never experience on the 360?

Also, does your HTPC support Blu-Ray?

15. Timmy_the_tortoise

Timmy_the_tortoise International Man of Awesome

Not one of those games interests me in the slightest..

And my HTPC WILL support both Blu-Ray and HD DVD (because HD DVDs are REALLY cheap nowadays.. "£2.99 for 300? Yes please!")

16. rollo

rollo Modder

hd dvds are cheap to clear them. Theres no new releases.

Wonder how consoles will keep up with pc technology since they are already 2gens behind. If MS or Sony even think about continuing the fight graphically one of them will spend alot of money . Anything above £350 uk price wont be brought in numbers. Both companys relise this. So how do you fit £1200 of hardware into £350. You either take huge money losses . Or dont do it.

Next gen wars would be fun to see.

Since i dont see how either can compete with even the basic of pcs today. Most basic pcs have ati 3850 graphics card. Which is still a more powerful card than a 360 or ps3 have.

gameplay wise the games will have to be brilliant. Halo3 is the end of that stupid fransise or so we thought. forza 3 please give 2 disk version. as for there big game at christmas gears of war. Its a console fps in a console world. Its no were near a good game on pc.

would like to see ps3 and 360s actual online numbers a night. Not just accounts. If its gets close to any decent online pc game id be shocked. Even combined. There may be 10million 360s but id hazzard a guess less than half are online. And half of that care for online games. GTA 4 gets old fast online after 1hr you wont go back. halo 3 was fun for a few days same as before though gets boring. no other real titles worth mensioning. PS3 doesnt really have a game worth going online with. cod 4 perhaps ( its better on pc) metal gear online could be one yet to try it though

17. BoomAM

BoomAM What's a Dremel?

Its not as simple as specs.
    The PC has to have significantely high specifications to run a game compared to a console due to the fact that the developers have to make a barely optimised, one size fits all, game, to make sure that its compatible with the most systems.
    A console has fixed hardware that cant be changed. So a developer can code 'to the metal' on them and produce highly optimised games.
    The case example at the moment is the fact that the most impressive visual PC games dont actually look leaps and bounds above the best of either of the two 'power consoles'.
    In a few years time, todays performance PC parts can be squeezed into a console at a lower cost, and that 30-50% performance difference that PCs enjoy today, can have heavily optimised games for consoles that are, as with today, not that far behind the latest on PC.

18. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Games Consoles do not compete with PCs, they compete with each other.

19. salesman

salesman Minimodder

I own all three consoles a ps3 360 and the wii and the only thing that i would have liked to see is and hdmi port come standard on launch day for the xbox 360, forget all the other issues, because now if i want that support i have to buy another xbox 360. If you are building a home theater make sure all you components support hdmi it makes for a hassle free hometheater. And the PS3 is way more entertaining to me it with its no bugs compared to my 360 never running right. I used to be a xbox fanboy but with seeing and using them both i would take the PS3 any day over the 360 if i had to choose just one. Plus the best cool extra feature that the PS3 has that the 360 doesn't is that its also a game console so i can play games on it if i get bored what else it can do (which probably won't happen). But hey guys to each his own just don't spend all your money or your time, crap i'm late for work. SUCKS!!!

20. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

normally i dont care for fanboy argument threads, which all console ones become eventually..

but HUH? since when was the 360 not a games console? did you get sold an off white waffle iron by mistake

Tags: Add Tags