1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PS3 trials and tribulations

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 6 Nov 2006.

1. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

For Sony to go on and on about 'the next generation starts when we say it does', 'we don't do fake 1080p' and then to release the console with only composite cables?

I wonder how many PS3 users will have used their console for several years still using the composite cable, believing the games and movies they are viewing is in high-definition?

At least include a component cable; I mean if Sony are so sure that 1080p and Blu-Ray is what most PS3 users want, surely they should provide the relevant cables (which in relation to the price of the console is cheap as chips) for them to view it?

2. Iago

Iago What's a Dremel?

The PS3 won't even include component HD cables???

Vow...I had assumed it would...that's why the lack of HDMI didn't look so grevious. If that's the case, ignore everything I've written before :blush:

That is certainly something to flame them about.

Last edited: 7 Nov 2006
  3. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

The Japanese PS3's (both skus) will not come with either an HDMI or Component cable, composite only. This has been confirmed by Sony.

Sony have not however released the final retail specifications for the US (and European) PS3, so a component cable may well included but if they do, what was the logic behind the Japan omission? I recall reading a statement from a Sony spokesperson stating that because the av cables from the PS2 can be used with the PS3, most users would use these.

If the above statement was official then yet again it's more arrogance; Sony assuming that everyone already owns a PS2.

Again I'd like to reiterate my point, how many PS3 owners will even realise that what they are viewing over composite is far from the 'full HD' experience that Sony have continuously went on and on about? I know several Xbox 360 owners who until I pointed it out, were using a composite > scart connection into their HDTV believing it was the best image they could get!

4. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

since were on the subject of HD gaming, will the ps3 support high defenition over either dvi or vga like the 360 does?

this was something i never even thought about, i certainly wont be buying a ps3 for a while but i will probably buy one before a HD:tv, monitor support was a big reason i bought a 360 as its not worth it on a standard defenition tv

5. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

The PS3 connections as of now are 2 x HDMI and a multi-av out (the exact same as the PS2).

An HDMI > DVI cable will conform to the copy protection (HDCP, AACS, ICT etc...).

The multi-av out will support composite and component.

Sony have not mentioned VGA at all, so I would assume it will not be supported. And I don't know of an HDMI to VGA cable that exists, and I'm not even sure if technically it would work with the copy protection...

6. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

whats the reason behind having 2 hdmi's, is that needed for larger displays or something

at least it offers the ability to work with a dvi socket, and i could just use the toslink like i do now for sound, being as tv speakers are crap anyway it leads me to believe hdmi is a white elephant, but the film companies love its copy protection abilities so its got to be the new standard anyway.

this is all very hypothetical anyway as ive seen nothing to make me want a ps3 from launch till at least the middle of next year

7. Iago

Iago What's a Dremel?

As of launch day, there are no plans to support VGA for the PS3:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2006/11/6/5872

I guess a HDMI/Component to VGA adaptor may work...but I don't know if they exist and how easy to get hold of one is.

On the other hand, most good monitors bought in the last 18 months should have DVI inputs...so you can always get a HDMI to DVI adaptor and plug it to said monitor.

8. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Component to DVI is easily feasible, I'm working on it for some stuff I'm doing

9. Iago

Iago What's a Dremel?

I guess the problem is for those with older monitors, that lack DVI inputs. Is component to vga feasible?

[edit]Never mind...the adapter is not what I thought It was[/edit]

10. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Component to VGA is equally feasible. It all depends on what your monitor supports asto how its wired.

There are two types of "component" what I call "Old Skool" is RGB Each cable has a different colour.

The newer one in YUV, Y is the blacks and whites, and U promotes blue (IIRC) and V demotes blue.

11. BladeofTheImmortal

BladeofTheImmortal What's a Dremel?

Hell, I still use my PS2 to play PSX games. XenoGears, Strider 2, Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid, Rising Zan: The Samurai Gunman.

No, people still use backwards compatibility, and the only one with the smart backwards comp is Sony. Support all games, and still allow downloadable games that people might not have gotten a chance to play.

12. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

THIS is exactly why Sony deserve all the criticism they have received thus far:

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2006/11/07/ps3s-cell-three-times-more-powerful-as-the-xbox-360-processor.htm

Read the entire article linked above, disgraceful.

Last edited: 8 Nov 2006
Tags: Add Tags