1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PS3 vs. The Church of England

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 11 Jun 2007.

1. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

:rolleyes:
    Really, people, let's try to keep this in perspective. So you saw a priest driving a Ferrari. It is possible for priests to have other forms of income. It's entirely possible that the person you saw was wealthy before becoming a priest. Do you even know, for certain, that the person was a priest to begin with. How did he come to own the car? Did he pilfer the donation bin, acting the part of the greedy, good-for-nothin' priest that you already had in mind? Did he save up his own money for years and years, making wise investments, just to treat himself with something nice? This kind of comment just shows an utter lack of understanding of how organized religion works.

As soon as I saw this news on the front page, I just knew that I would come here to find the anti-religious zealots out in force. Good to see that I wasn't disappointed.

I can see why the church is taken aback. Sony have used a recognizable structure (one that does indeed stand for peace) and have used it as a location for a violent confrontation. It doesn't matter what form the building has taken: Photograph, video, or digital render; Sony have used the likeness without permission. I wonder what Sony would think of me creating a digital render of the Playstation 3, and using that image to make money?

Some people have mentioned that churches and priests are used in film all the time. Generally, when a known church is used in a media form (particularly any interior shots), the producer obtains permission to use the location. Watch the credits for any movie, and you'll generally see a list of people and places that are given thanks for their cooperation. Contrary to popular belief, film crews don't just show up on the street and start filming.

Furthermore, just because something was done in the past, it doesn't make it right. Maybe the church - in the general sense of the word - is growing tired of seeing its image used over and over again in a negative light. "Too bad," you say, "that's how it's always been, and you didn't complain before."

Yeah, if only those slaves hadn't started complaining, either...

-monkey

2. saeghwin

saeghwin New Member

I wouldn't say it's any different than featuring the location in a book. So, assuming there's nothing wrong with that, the church shouldn't be making that big of a deal.

3. teabagger

teabagger New Member

I see some of still haven't grown out of jumping on the anti-Sony bandwagon.

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I'm not anti-sony per-se. In fact, I'm on their side now in this thing. I just don't like how they neglect Europe, which I also feel about Nintendo to a lesser extent.

5. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Money Money Money the world is greedy and all they want is Money

6. dgb

dgb New Member

I'm a strident atheist, but in this case I have to come down on the side of the Church. While it may be legal, it is definately poor form to use detailed images of a private location without getting prior permission to do so. Arguments over what the Church's role is etc. aside, I live in a house that would be fine for Sony to use under the copyright law given above (life of architecht + 70 years), but I'd be pretty pissed off if I found it being used in a game without permission.

Sony are just showing themselves to be their usual arrogant, we can do no wrong selves.

7. themax

themax New Member

I didn't know using a 100+ year old church in a video game as part of a site of a Humans versus Alien invaders (Mankind is fighting for survival) was pretty arrogant of Insomniac, oops, Sony.

All aboard!

That arrogance label sure is getting out of hand ;)

8. AwesomeCat

AwesomeCat New Member

Heh I am not surprised. If people knew what I knew about Episcopalians/Anglicans. And I bet you what it really is about is money. The game made a lot of money and sold a lot of copies and they were unhappy they got none of the profits. That they even expected a donation . . . . . Really?

Now it makes me want to make an app that allows you to travel the world destroying crosses in every Anglican and Episcopal Church - using real locations of course.

Priests aren't these self sacrificing and noble people many think and/or assume they are. I should know. At one point I was studying to be one and if people knew what priests were really like. They makeep Bernie Madoff look like a nice guy. Large salaries, provided homing, easy hours . . . . There are priests in NY living in multimillion apartments for free. I knew a priest who every year took TWO expensive two week long cruises a year! Every year. Plus high end trips to Disney world every other year. Not making this up. I wish I was.

Tags: Add Tags