1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PS3 will require an adapter for memory cards

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 8 Aug 2006.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

For ****'s sake Sony. Scrap it and go back to the ****ing drawing board with this lame duck effort to follow up 2 of the best consoles ever.

3. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

I'm guessing they will probably charge £12 - 15 for this?

So a PS3, with controller and adapter will be hitting £500?

Not for me thanks, I'm not paying that amount of money to be a 'backer of blu-ray technology'. I want a games machine then the 360 or Wii it is.

4. fev

fev Industry Fallout

i'm sorry but sony's pushed me one step too far.. this is pathetic. I'll be buying an X360 in september

5. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

SD cards? Surprising that they haven't gone with Memory Stick.

(@Da Dego - BTW forums link points to the "News Discussion" forum, not to this thread)

6. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I also read somewhere (can't remeber where, digg, engadget, slashdot one of those probally) that some very wealthy person got a hd-dvd and a blu-ray player and played the same film on each side by side on identicle screens and they said that the colours were crisper, edges sharper and aspect ratios more acurate with the hd-dvd than the blu-ray..... Surely this alone is the death of blu-ray.... Bye bye sony.

7. saeghwin

saeghwin What's a Dremel?

Why are you guys freaking out so much? I can't tell from MS's site (which is confusing as hell by the way), but do the 360 cards work on the Xbox and the 360? Or can you transfer data from the hard drives? I do know that you can't even play most games unless they've developed emulation software for the individual title.

Sony is obviously trying to phase out their memory cards and replace them with more generic forms of storage (flash cards, etc.), and this is definitely the easiest way to do it. I don't see what the big deal is. I think the fact that Microsoft is charging $100 for a 20GB hard drive is *#$%ing ridiculous. Then you add in the $100 wireless adaptor! There's one built-in to the PS3 at least.

The PS3 and the Wii look really promising. And the price isn't all that bad--people here should know that. Video card upgrade or new gaming console? I'd probably go with the video card, but I'm going to see how things unfold in the next couple months.

8. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Thanks for that, mclean007. Should be fixed now :D

9. saeghwin

That's interesting. I'm going to try and find the article.

Edit: http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/home...ed-using-identical-source-material-192100.php

10. Swafeman

Swafeman Minimodder

Im suprised they didnt go with memory stick m2 instead of even pro duo, it costs twice the price of a duo, so yeah they'd rake it in :p

11. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

Being owner of a Sony Ericsson K800i, I'm surprised Memory Stick M2 isn't being used at all, even future SE phones seem to be using Pro Duo...

12. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

13. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Yeah, I'm not a big console person, I just use my PC for all the latest games. However, if I was to buy a console, it would be the Wii - just a great idea instead of mindlessly pumping up the power/graphics, not to mention the cheap price compared to the PS3 especially.

14. saeghwin

That's what I'm thinking. I mean, mistake me if I'm correct, but the difference in discs is the method of recording, right? So they should be holding the same data. That means either they put different things on these different discs, or yeah, it's just the new players that are being inconsistant.

About consoles vs. PC's, I'm definitely a PC person. I'm actually in an ongoing debate about whether PC's or consoles have better controls, ie controller vs. keyboard+mouse. My friend doesn't accept the mouse's superiority, despite the obviousness of the issue.

Last edited: 8 Aug 2006
  15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

this was kid of predictable, there is no way that a ps1 e 2 card would fit into a PS3 without an adaptor. it should and must come bundled with the PS3.

16. TheoGeo

actually the data on them is different aswell, blu-ray uses a form of MPEG2/AVC encoding, while hd-dvd uses VC1. At least thats what it says in the article.

The main point i can see is that the hd-dvd version of training day had more features. It included the soundtrack in TrueHD Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital-Plus. The blu-ray version only had 5.1 Dolby Digital. I only read the training day review but i imagine the others were similar.

17. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Remember you're not buying a console, you're buying raw potential..... :hehe:

18. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

QFT

just another add on to rip you off, all the consoles are pretty bad allready ... but the PS3 allready has a high lead price

19. TheoGeo

I really hope that the Wii introduces a revolution (no pun intended) to the gaming industry. Focus on gameplay and fun rather than graphics and high prices. We will have alot more fun playing them, it will reduce game production time and hopefully put more worthwhile games on the market

Though i expect they'll have a hard time converting the OMG Xt3m3 GFX D000D t0 t3h MAX!!!111oneoneone type people.

20. Swafeman

Swafeman Minimodder

tbh.... m2 are twice the price... 1gb duo is 20 quid and 1gb m2 is 40 quid... they say its smaller so you can get more into the phone but i wouldnt mind the phone being the small difference from a duo to a m2 larger than to have to pay out 20 quid... of course sony would prefer 20 quid :D so im equally suprised that there not using them in their phones

Tags: Add Tags