1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PS4's 8GB RAM "a joy" to developers says Dishonored lead designer

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 8 Mar 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Good news, especially the suggestion that games may make more successful moves across multiple platforms.

3. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

if the rumours are true then the PS4 will be the `top dog` as MS are aiming the next xbox to be an `entertainment centre`

4. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

I'm sure the Wii U uses an IBM PowerPC processor just like the Wii. The GPU is a custom part by AMD though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

5. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

To begin with, GDDR5 has double the bandwith then DDR3, so if they use the 8GB GDDR5 to it's full extend (split 50/50 between CPU and GPU) the PC-versions would need even more RAM then "only" some 16GB DDR3 to compensate imho. Maybe this will lead to GDDR5 being introduced in the near future, like the leaked info about AMDs Kaveri-APU hints at. It's said that the Kaveri-APUs will have a 4x 32bit GDDR5 memory-interface to adress 2GB of GDDR5, so this is basically the PC-spinoff of the APU used in the PS4.

Anyways, I predict that the PC-versions of next gen console titles won't be playable on max settings @ 2560x1600 on a current ~ $1000-setup, but require atleast something like the GTX680/HD7970 with 4GB GDDR5 paired with an i7-3770/FX8350 and 16GB DDR3.

Fun times ahead and most likely way cheaper to buy a PS4, if you're after the best graphics possible :p

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Nope. Because, CPU doesn't use or care about high bandwidth.
    In fact, it preferred DDR3 over GDDR5 by a big margin, as GDDR5 have a very high latency... that's the exchange for bandwidth. So the CPU for sure will be either too weak to take advantage of DDR3 to even care about the high latency problem, OR RAM latency will bottleneck the processor of the PS4.

7. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

you are forgetting though that GDDR5 can send and recieve on the same clock cycle , something that DDR3 cannot do.

8. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Exactly. And that's basically negating the latency-issues.

9. GoodBytes

Heuuummm that's how it works for DDR3 as well, I mean following the bus speed. That is why you don't see much or any performance increase in memory module faster than the Bus (assuming you don't overclock the bus)

10. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

erm no it doesnt only GDDR can send and recieve because of differencial clocks

11. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Hopefully this means massive game worlds, full to the brim with things happening! Huzzah!

12. GoodBytes

Actually I miss read you.. I read "per same clock" and not "cycle" in your first text.

However I don't believe is compensates for the high latency of GDRR5.

Also another thing that was not address, is that if it has 8GB of RAM shared, that means it has only 1 bus. That means, that either the GPU or CPU will bottleneck the other.

13. GoodBytes

Well.. the GPU is faster and more capable, so just that will make larger game world. But mostly you'll enjoy higher res textures or more textures.

14. rollo

rollo Modder

All consoles use shared ram its up to devs how they use it accept the OS bit. Which is set at a fixed amount most likely 128-256mb.

Wether we will see better games only time will tell but in truth I dout ram is holding back originality or story telling both if which have gone AWOL in years gone by.

What we will likely see is more native 64bit games to take advantage of more ram but I'm not entirely sure on that there is like 5-10 native 64bit games.

Dev reason has always been they dont want games that cant run on win xp as its a potential lost sale.

Steams last survey had it at 47% on a 32bit OS.

15. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

the whole latency issue isnt as bad as you make out - at best case its ahead of some DDR3 platforms , and at worst case its ofc slower - but we are talking NS; bare in mind that unlike the PS3 and its 2 seperate ram pools , this can manipulate ram (and shaders) within itself.

16. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

I was underwhelmed by the ps3, the ps4 is getting excting!

17. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Getting more interested in this. I need to see how it works as a media player before I consider buying though.

18. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

you could see the lack of ram issues in some games in the way stuff would suddenly popup or the map would start to render as you turn to fast for the game to pre load bits your about to see (did this in BF Bad company a lot)

this should be fixed in the PS4 as 4/8gb of ram is silly amount for an console they will have so much fun with that as it must of been an nuisance on the xbox or ps3 to get the games to run with out been laggy or have textures loading that gamers see

19. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

with the anti copy or cam stuff (stops the video after 5-10 secs if it detects markers in the video) i just use XMBC or MCE

20. mikemaher205

mikemaher205 What's a Dremel?

Everytime a new console is released, shortly after game standards increases. So with technology going to the level it is, this should be nothing but good for PC gaming.

Tags: Add Tags