1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding PSONE LCD installed and operational!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by bee2643, 26 Feb 2004.

1. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

with my mystique card, using any monitor, i get very distinct verticle lines running through the screen, LOTS of them, it even shows up on screenshots
    ideas?

2. TiTON

TiTON IRONMODS

Does the vertical lne move or scroll? Or are they always in the same place? Hmm.. i can't be the mobo.. it's may be just the card. If you put it in the other PC and get the same thing, then you know its the video card. Maybe its the driver? Maybe you can reflash the bios?

Don' tknow man.

SAD

3. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

they stay where they are and do not move, i know its something to do with the video card, be it the bios or drivers or w/e because it shows on screenshots
    if i go past 24bit to 32bit, then there are 2 areas that are greener than the rest, its wiered i guess i have to see it to understand, ill work on getting screenshots.

4. Edhi

Edhi What's a Dremel?

Hmmm.

I bought a Belkin VGA extension cable the other day and hacked one end off it. Using a Continuity Tester I figured out which wires came from which pins - the colours were TOTALLY different to what was suggested in the guides, but I figured a wire is a wire and it doesn't matter what colour the insulation on it is!!

So I tried my hand at soldering but messed it up because my hands are so shaky :(
    We managed to get all the solder off and my dad did the wiring instead.

Plugging the screen into the power does turn it on (slight difference in colour) but I get no signal going to it from my ancient Stealth III PCI card. I left my DVI -> VGA converter in my flat at Uni :wallbash: so I can't use that, and a brand new one from PC World is £20!!! (Not ordering online because the shipping would be crazy for such a small item).

I swapped the monitors around (main monitor on the PCI, and LCD on the VGA out from my Radeon 9800) but no joy. Also, PowerStrip is buggy as hell, and when I reboot after installing it the system locks up when it loads. Had to boot into safe mode to uninstall it :sigh: :grr:.

What do I need for composite? I'd like to try that to see if the screen at least still accepts a signal. Am I right in thinking composite is the big yellow S-Video connector?
    I have leads for that, but I'm guessing I need a special Sony adapter for it ... I don't own (and never have owned) a Playstation so I have no idea what they use for connections.

5. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

the colors used in the guides aren't supposed to be the exact ones, they corrospond with the output, red is red, etc. black is a general ground, which is why that is that color, etc. lol
    this is why they tell you bags are choking hazards on every plastic bag :D

as for powerstrip being buggy, make sure you have your OS up to date, and rescent drivers installed, especially for both video cards, this could be a cause for your problems

for composite ithink you use the AV IN jack and wire it up to that, no idea how, my tutorial does VGA only

maybe someone else knows...?

edit: there is no standard color for any cable, they are usually company specific, we could go on all day comparing differnet cables, and no one will be the same.

6. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

sorry i missed this, my primary display is a radeon 9600 pro the display conecting the psone lcd is a matrox mystique 220 card i got from ebay, when using composite i was using the tvout from my radeon 9600 which i believe to be a high quality tv output, i had to slightly alter the contrast and brightness settings in media player to get the vga output video to be as bright as the composite but i saw that as part of the challenge. I used the vga mod about 4 months ago when i found it on mp3car forums but at the time couldnt solve the secondary monitor not being detected problem so i went back to composite , now im back to vga i remember what i was missing, composite was useable but unfortunatly its never going to be as sharp as a vga signal. As for the wireing, if your gettign a hue like that maybe your grounding isnt quite right ive seen a couple of people have problems similar to this that were solved by grounding extra connectors on the vga cable. Im not being confrontational or anything i was just providing a counterbalance to your oppinion that the vga mod isnt much better than composite :D

edit: i see youve got vga working properly since i read that so i guess youve solved the red hue on video problem, and its great news the resistor trick works without messing up the picture il have to resolder it when i get home :)

Last edited: 11 Apr 2004
  7. Edhi

Edhi What's a Dremel?

Turns out I messed up and soldered some wrong wires :wallbash:

However ... using a continuity tester on all the cables I still can't get anything to show :'(

I plug in my monitor to the primary on my R9800, then swap it to the LCD (because that's what you need to do to make it "live" right?), but I get no picture whatsoever - I'm aware that the LCD can't support 1600*1200 ;), but shouldn't at least SOMETHING come up to show me that a signal is being passed to it? :(

8. TiTON

TiTON IRONMODS

Hmm.. I guess you should get something to show.

Isn't your R9800 dual head? if that is the case, then why don't you plug your video into the VGA port to initialize it, then plug the PSOLcd into it? Then you can have your main display on the DVI port. This way you will be able to tweak the settings around.

Just a thought. Or if you have an extra PCI VGA laying around, throw that into the system to make sure it works.

Oh.. just a side quseiotn, are you working w/ NTSC or PAL PSOne?

Are you using All the cables, including the DCC?

Does your LCD even power on?

As for the DCC, if I connect it, I got no signal. I acutally had to "NOT" connect the DCC to get my PSOne LCD to work.

Let us know how it goes.

SAD

9. Edhi

Edhi What's a Dremel?

That's what I'm doing to initialise the screen - CRT into the VGA, then remove that and put in the LCD, but nothing shows.
    It is Dual Head but like an idiot I left the DVI adapter in my flat when I came back home for the holidays :wallbash:

I've got an old Stealth III PCI card, but that didn't work either.

I'm using PAL.

No, the VGA cable I bought didn't actually have a pin on the connector for DCC.

Yep. You can hear a slight whine from it, and it turns a slightly darker black when the power is plugged in.

10. TiTON

TiTON IRONMODS

Ok.. that sucks you don't ahve the DVI adapater.

Since you have the diamond stealth, go plug that in, then put in your PSOne on that.

You will actually see the screen post, and all that good stuff. Actually it won't be legible, since PS isn't running, but you can tell that a signal is being received.

I actually soldered the VGA cable twice on my PSOne. The first time I butchered a VGA cable. The problem was the VGA cable was like 10 feet. So I decided to get a 15 pin DSUB and re-solderall teh wires. Well.. once I did that.. had nothing but problems, screen didn' t power, no signal, and so forth. So I have to go back and carefully check everything, then I got it to work again.

Let us know how it goes.

SAD

11. Edhi

Edhi What's a Dremel?

Plugged in the Stealth - nothing.

No POST (set it to default VGA in the BIOS) and nothing in Windows either. Nothing when I put my CRT onto it then swapped back to the LCD.

:(

12. TiTON

TiTON IRONMODS

So you try to boot w/ Stealth and CRT? Does CRT work on stealth?

I had the same thing happen w/ my Trident PCI. I thought my PSOne LCD was bad. Then I plugged my Desktop LCD into the card, and it didn't work. Turn out Trident PCI was actually dead.

So confirm that your stealth works.

And if you CRT works on the Stealth, then you probably have a wiring issue w/ the PSOne.

Let us know.

SAD

13. monkeyharris

monkeyharris What's a Dremel?

Hi there, i just got a couple of psone screens and am planning to get a pci card to run them both, however, other than the matrox cards and ati 9000pro im not sure which other pci cards will support csync. Im looking for something thats as cheap as pos, and dual VGA, and preferably ATI to avoid driver issues (i already have a 9800se AIW). If anyones got this cool mod working could they list their make of card, it'd be a huuuuuge help :) :D

14. TiTON

TiTON IRONMODS

I'm running Sapphire 7000 PCI. It has DVI, VGA, and s-Video. I'm not sure if the mod will run off DVI w/ VGA adapter.

If you want a CHEAP video card, get two Matror Mystique. They are like $5 each. So 2 of them plus shipping in the states, will only be like $20.

SAD

15. monkeyharris

Thanx SAD, the 7000 is a possibility and i would think i can get one fairly cheap from somwhere in the uk, hopefully dvi-vga will work, i seem to recall hearing it should, i really only want one pci card and also wouldnt the matrox drivers cause hassle with the rad drivers? also do u think any brand 7000 would work or just the Sapphire?

16. TiTON

TiTON IRONMODS

I can't vouch for any other than the Sapphire ati 7000. If you read my other post, I tried about 4-5 video card, and the sapphire was the only one that supportd csync. I even used an nVidia GF2 MX400, and that didn't support it. I heard that nVidia doesnt support it at all.

As for conflicts the Matrox, I'm not sure if it woudl conflict. I think it wouldn't since the drivers are already native to win2k and xp.

I was hunting for cheap video cards, and the ati 7000 was about $45 US. I can't believe that entry level PCI cards are more expensive then the AGP verison.

SAD

17. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

the matrox card has a slight conflict with t he ati drivers, you have to remove the ati control panel or it will crash when windows loads, i did this tho and just use rage3dtweak instead of the ati cp and its all running fine with a 9600pro and a matrox mystique 220

18. monkeyharris

hi, has anyone here from the uk got their psone screen to run without connecting the DCC pin? its just that my screen wont show any sort of picture and im thinking it might b the cable as it didnt have a pin for the DCC connect too. im running this from a radeon 7000 pci card. cheers

19. skotbytes

skotbytes What's a Dremel?

I'm from the uk and run mine through composite and am happy with the results.

Scott

20. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

As ive read the screen needs to find 5v present on the pin people are connecting to dcc it doesnt matter if it comes from the dcc pin or not, mine (pal) wouldnt turn on untill i wired it with a vga cable with a dcc connector on it. I spent ages trying to find one and finaly came across these ones which have the dcc pin and work fine.