1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding PSONE LCD installed and operational!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by bee2643, 26 Feb 2004.

1. skotbytes

skotbytes What's a Dremel?

Sorry mate don't think I can help then. I couldn'y get mine on due to the composite to 3mm jack only having 2 stripes round it. I borrowed one from my dads camcorder and it worked.

Scott

2. monkeyharris

monkeyharris What's a Dremel?

oh cool thats kinda what i wanted to hear :) im starting to get the feeling that the ntsc screens dont require the 5v to be present but the pal ones do as iv heard of two US users who couldnt get the screen to work WITH the 5v present and a couple of uk users who need the 5v to be present. wild9, cheers for that link i think il get one as there pretty cheap. Skotbytes, im wiring it through vga not composite buts cheers anyway :)

3. -D0Di-

-D0Di- What's a Dremel?

i've got a problem here:

had a 4" TFT hooked up at the tv-out port about 6months ago

now switchted to a THRUSTMASTER 5" PS ONE screen. but there's no cinch/fbas video in. so i had to do the vga mod. tried everything, complete layout is correct but it won't work.
    futhermore i have no idea how to convert the RGB Signals from the Ps connector to FBAS.

Thanks for Help

-D0Di- from Hamburg

PS. original European SONY PS One 5" Displays work great on the 5V Line from PC PSU

4. TiTON

TiTON IRONMODS

Are you serious? I have been going crazy trying to get my PSOne to run off my PSU.

I will have to try this when I get home.

I do have a quick question for you. What is the voltage for the ACAdapter that came w/ the PSone? Is it 7.5v 2amp or 3amp?

Did you have to put any special resistors, or fuses? Or did you just connect the 5v directly to the PSOne LCD?

Were you running PSOne off VGA or Composite?
    Thanks.

SAD

Last edited: 21 Apr 2004
  5. BladeRelic

BladeRelic What's a Dremel?

just to let ya know, i'm still alive. been quite busy here at work.

if ya have any questions, i'll try my best to help

6. TiTON

TiTON IRONMODS

BR, great to hear you are still in one piece. Was getting worried about you :)

Did you get the PSOne LCD powered from PSU yet?

SAD

7. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

theres an article on http://www.kickassamd.com/ forums on how to make it work for the powersupply
    in the PS1 thread under mods

8. TiTON

TiTON IRONMODS

Bee,

Thanks for the link, but I am currently working with KickAssAmd to get the power mod to work. There are some technical difficulties occuring, where the mod would work w/ some powersupplies and nother others.

He has contacted Antec, and seems to have an idea how to make the mod more successful.

SAD

9. BladeRelic

with the 7.5 volt mod, nope.

but i was able to buy a psone car adapter from a friend for $10. hacked off the ends to it, and been using it ever since

10. TiTON

TiTON IRONMODS

That is sweet!! I was thinking about doing that, but can't find one cheap enough. It has cost me about $10 so far, for the resistors, and misc parts to attempt this power mod.

I may just give up and try to ebay one.

Is it difficult to hack the end off, and put it to 12v?

Do you think you can post some pics.

SAD

11. BladeRelic

it is not dificult at all. no pictures because everything is already put together. i may take pictures once i feel like cleaning up all these wires :D

12. monkeyharris

im having trouble getting powerstrip to accept the horizontal Sync Width above 56 pixels and i need it to be 96 pixels to work. whenever i try to go above 56 pixels its jus drops down and instead ups the Back Porch pixels. im using a uk psone screen. anyone else this sort of problem?

13. WILD9

WILD9 Been here aaaaages

check your other settings, powerstrip tends to do this if some other property youve set is conflicting and limiting the setting your changing.

14. monkeyharris

well this is what i thought but i cant see anything wrong? :sigh: iv been trying for hours , even tried the NTSC settings but no joy. its like the screen is locked and wont go above 56 sync width :blah:

15. TiTON

TiTON IRONMODS

Hmm.. my Hoz Sync width IS 56.

So not sure what you are encountering.

Can you give me a little info on what you DO see?

I mean.. can you get an image at all?

This sounds lame, but worked for me. Kick color depth down to 256.

For some reason my LCD didn't like any more colors then that.

I used 256 to get the right timing. Then for some magical reason, 16 and 24 bit color started working.

Well.. good luck.

SAD

PS.. here is my exact timing that works for NTSC:

PowerStrip timing parameters:
    640x480=640,24,56,64,480,6,7,31,12175,9

Generic timing details for 640x480:
    HFP=24 HSW=56 HBP=64 kHz=16 VFP=6 VSW=7 VBP=31 Hz=30

Linux modeline parameters:
    "640x480" 12.175 640 664 720 784 480 486 493 524 interlace +hsync +vsync

16. monkeyharris

im trying to set it up with these settings PAL PSONE SETTINGS but when set it to these it puts the horizontal sync width to 56 and the back porch to 120, all the vertical settings are ok its jus those two horizontal settings, and if i try to up the sync width over 56 it jus stays at 56 but instead ups the back porch even higher. the screen is on and and if i move the mouse into it you can see if fine but the rest of the background is completely messed up and if i drag a window into it u dont see it all you see is the mouse pointer iv tried loads of differrent settings now, all different colours etc all to no avail. hopefully il sort it this year ;)

17. kbn

kbn What's a Dremel?

Just ordered my ps one lcd screen, there £37.50 in game if you know some one that works there :D (£49.99 normally). Ging to be using it as the second display for my 9700np using the dvi->vga converter (or tv out, would prefer vga quality though!). Any one used a recent (9500+) card and had any problems or anything I need to do to get it working? Ive read the first to pages of this thread, probably read the rest later.

18. Timmmeh

Timmmeh What's a Dremel?

helllp

Hi, ive been following this thread for awhile and you guys have managed to achieve some amazing things but you are making it look easy :hehe:

I have tried everything you have mentioned and im still not managing to get my screen to power on. I live in the UK so my screen is the PAL version.

A brief description so my sorry attempts:

Firstly despite having four VGA leads available, none of which seemed to have the same pin outs as each other and none of them had the pin 9 (+5 DCC). I persevered and got nothing :sigh: . So convinced that this elusive pin 9 was the problem I went to the effort of making my own lead. I ran a multi meter across pin 9 when it was connected to my pc and….. nothing, nada, squat.
    I have a PCI graphics card and a 9700np and it makes no difference which card I use so im guessing that was a red herring … sigh. :wallbash:

My basic problem is the LCD screen will not switch on. It works when connected to a PS2 but I cant get any life out of it from VGA.
    Im also unsure of what (if any) resistors im going to need and there seems to be some question over whether I need to tie VGA pin 11 and 4to be ground, and if so which ground? (pin 5 – common ground or the ground composed from the red/gre/blue grounds).

So to conclude, have any of you UK guys got a conclusive circuit diagram or have you had more luck than me?
    Any help would be appreciated.

Timmmeh

19. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

another person not reading the tutorial
    pin9 is not going to power the LCD, you need to either use the power adapter that came with the LCD and plug it into the screen, or, you need to goto the forums at www.kickassamd.com and look under the PSONE mod thread, there is a tutorial there on how to get the psone working from the computer powersupply.

20. Timmmeh

Timmmeh What's a Dremel?

Sorry, I’m not being clear. I’m not expecting the pin 9 to power it. I’m currently using the power adapter which came with the screen. I was expecting it to mealy switch on the screen.