1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding PSONE LCD installed and operational!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by bee2643, 26 Feb 2004.

1. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

in windows display properties, settings tab: simply click "expand my desktop to this monitor"
    You might have to reset your PowerStrip timings, it's always good to write them down for safekeepings once you've figured them out...just in case.

2. LiL_MJ

LiL_MJ What's a Dremel?

can som1 from the UK write a "idiots guide" to this mod? lol
    im not to much into the composite/svideo blah blah terms.
    im sure loads of people would find a PAL VERSION howto guide very helpful.

3. Boomdaddy

Boomdaddy What's a Dremel?

video card

Please some one tell me a good, cheap pci video card that works with this mod.
    High five.

4. Anzafin

Anzafin What's a Dremel?

Well, I haven't done this mod yet, but I think many people have used Matrox Mystique with success.
    And like I told a couple of posts earlier, I found a new Matrox Mystique 4mb here in Finland for only 5€ (about 6,2 us dollars) :D

edit Found from Ebay

Last edited: 13 Jul 2004
  5. psYCHopath

psYCHopath What's a Dremel?

LP141X6 LCD to be used on PC (ATI with DVI)

Hi,
    Since you all managed to convert theh PSone LCD for DVI
    can it be done on a Laptop LCD?
    I got the LCD from a friend. Im currently using ATI Radeons 9000 VGA+DVI.

:clap: :clap:

6. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

y dont you just wire it vga and use an adapter?
    that's probably a cheaper/easier way to go anyways.

7. psYCHopath

psYCHopath What's a Dremel?

aiks...i taught i "must" only use DVI so that the Laptop LCD can be used?

BTW im using my current ATI's VGA .....DVI is free... (mean not used :hehe: )

adapter??? erm the LCD is from a faulty Laptop but the screen works fine.

8. analogue40

analogue40 What's a Dremel?

Just finished this mod on a PAL LCD screen using a Matrox Mistique 2MB card that was 55p from ebay, although I had to use 5v from the psu to the DCC as the matrox doesn't seem to give it out. Thanks for the article and all the help this thread has been :D
    Here are some pics of the finished mod and the powerstrip settings:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Willie92

Willie92 What's a Dremel?

Does anyone have any idea why I'm not able to adjust the Pixel Clock in PS any lower than 30??? I'm using a Matrox Millenium card to drive my PSOne screen. I've selected 480x640i(Arcade) in the Custom Resolutions screen, but I can't get the Pixel Clock or scan rates down to the numbers that people have had success with...

Would that be a limitation of the card? I'm using the "latest" drivers from the Matrox website (which I realize are old, but so's the card). I thought these card were supposed to work pretty well with this mod, but maybe it's only the Mystique series?

:sigh:

10. ajampaniki

ajampaniki What's a Dremel?

Maybe a very dumb question, but does this mod only work with PCI cards?

(sorry for the big kick btw)

Last edited: 4 Sep 2004
  11. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

hmmm, could u possibly do the same thing with a laptop screen? but in the side of the case instead? although the psone screen looks damn good

12. Leevi

Leevi What's a Dremel?

Sorry for realy fast made pic...I'm planning a home made case and I need thouse measurements for it :thumb: pic

13. ajampaniki

Could someone pls help me with this one? There is a cheap screen on ebay i wanna buy but need to know if i can use it before i buy one

14. Just Blue

Just Blue What's a Dremel?

Help needed here guys.........

Hi All,
    Can someone help out here, I have wired up the PSone LCD and connected to my ASUS FX5200 2nd monitor port. It powers up the backlight but nothing but a black screen, using Powerstrip set to correct settings, LCD brighness/volume sliders work fine but still nothing but blackness. :wallbash: I read about the C-sync probs with nVidia cards but I should still see something just with a black border. Surly I must get something on the screen? :confused:

The port works OK, tested on another monitor. Hope this LCD is not a dud cos it's brand new and....errm...well...think the warranty may be void now.

I did have a Matrox Mystique card to use about here, but can't find it :duh:

Any suggestions welcome. :naughty:

15. BuckeyeNUT

BuckeyeNUT What's a Dremel?

Decided to go all out and wire this LCD up VGA. Everything went smoothly except for issues with getting the backlight to stay on. I've managed to get it to stay lit a couple of times, but it only happened by chance when I plugged it in. You can tell that there is power going to the screen, but no backlight...

Any ideas as to what could be the cause of this problem?

16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

If only. Laptop screens have a proprietary interface which requires a dedicated driver circuit. You can buy these, but at a prohibitive price. A better option is to get a cheap, 2nd hand 15" TFT monitor.

There's no way anyone can answer that without providing a link to, or at least specs on said screen. :duh: But the mod will work with PCI and AGP graphic cards --provided they're compatible.

Can't say if it's a dud unless you test it on another GPU. More likely however, GPU compatibility is the problem, rather than the screen. Try updating the drivers first, and make sure the screen is recognised in Windows.

If not, you need to do "the resistor mod" or the graphics card wont detect the monitor: you basically solder a 300r resistor between two points on the pcb,although anecdotally someone used a 470 and it worked out also:

[​IMG]
    ...looped to the other side of the PCB...
    [​IMG]

This mod only works on "official", Sony brand PSOne screens.

Also, it appears that a PAL psone screens need a 5v signal on one of the PSOne connector pins (pin 10?) to turn the screen on. On http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread/t-32292.html it is suggested that you have to connect the metal outer casing of the VGA connector as well, as it's not just shielding but part of the circuit.

Nvidia cards apparently also need a CSYNC generator because it only outputs H and V syncs.

Here is a small list of cards that do and don't work with the screen.

Either the inverter is screwed, or again it needs a 5v signal on one of the screen's PSOne connector pins (pin 10?) to turn the screen on.

17. ajampaniki

I was talking about a psone screen :) . Thanks for the answer m8

I was planning to get a radeon 7000 32mb for it. It has tvout so if the mod doesnt work i cant still hook it up on that. Anybody here using that card btw?

18. ajampaniki

I got my screen in the mail and hooked it up to my tvout. I know this thread is about the vga mod, but maybe you all can help me. When i hook it up to the tvout i just get black and white horizontale stripes. Nothing more, nothing less :(. Anybody know what i'm doing wrong here? Hooked it up on my radeon 9200

19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It may be that your screen is an NTSC version, and your Radeon is set to PAL (or vice-versa). No matter, just go into your graphic card Display Properties in Windows, and toggle it from PAL to NTSC (or vice-versa).

20. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

yes, a cheap tft in the side of the case, now i like that idea!!