1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding PSONE LCD Mod

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by macroman, 6 Jul 2004.

1. shivangp2

shivangp2 What's a Dremel?

2. Diabelez

Diabelez What's a Dremel?

Pic 1
    Pic 2
    Pic 3
    Pic 4

Its a Thrustmaster monitor... Can anybody help me, to get life ind the monitor?
    All the tutorials about the Thrustmaster is dead :(

Thanks

3. Pelihirmu

Pelihirmu What's a Dremel?

"There's no stupid questions, just a stupid answers" :yawn: :D

I was wondering that if I mod psone lcd to my case and want to show something on it, do I have to run it on my primary screen also?.. make it shorter.. Is the psone screen a clone from primary screen or what it is?? How can I for example just run winamp on my psone lcd?

And where the *ell I can buy that lcd here in Europe?

Thanks for everyone before hand :)

4. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

To do that you just extend your desktop to the psone lcd and drag winamp window to the lcd. If you set your lcd to say the right of your montior, you click and drag the winamp window to the right and it will go off your monitor to the lcd. There's no "wall" on the right side anymore you could say.

5. oal331

oal331 What's a Dremel?

Ok, after searching i found about 1cm problem and Csync, so i downloaded the PowerStrip.

i didn't manage yet to make the lcd to work without the vertical border, of course there are many-many different combinations, exept the proposed in article.

If anyone can help me which changes i have to do, to save time .....!!

Keep trying!!

thanks

Last edited: 7 Jul 2005
  6. user0001

user0001 What's a Dremel?

Anyone running a x800 type card with a DVI monitor? I'm trying to get the PSOne LCD on the VGA, but its not detecting it. I currently have it hooked up per the guide plus VGA pins 11 and 4 grounded. VGA pin 9 is being used as well. It works fine if I unplug the DVI monitor, but when both are connected it refuses to detect the VGA.

Edit: Meh, my LCD just fell onto the floor (carpet). Was planning on it, so now I will hook it up to a breadboard so its a bit easier to play with

Edit2: Plugged in my old CRT and powered it up. I'm seeing 5v on pins 12 and 15. Plugged in another CRT and seeing 5v on 13 and 14. I'm not sure what to do now. I've tried putting 11 and 4 to pin 10 (ground) as per starfox's guide, but no detection :waah:

Last edited: 16 Jul 2005
  7. someonescop

someonescop What's a Dremel?

Ok, just to confirm this method, because there seems to be several way's to do it.
    -Take VGA cord, cut an end, match the wires to your ps1 lcd, solder.
    -Take the included power adapter, cut the cigarette plug end, replace it with a 4 pin molex and connect it to an open 4 pin on your psu.
    Also, anyone having any problems with the X800 series on this mod? I've got an X800XL and was going to use the DVI to VGA adapter then VGA cord to LCD.
    Is this the correct method before I go cutting up everything?

Thanks guys!

8. elmodder

elmodder What's a Dremel?

AFAIK dual head vgas need to have a crt/lcd or the vga dummy conected when you turn on the pc and then you can replace it with the ps one lcd :(

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

sui_winbolo is right. Once your PC recognises the PSOne LCD as a second monitor, you tick the box "Extend my desktop to this monitor" in Display Properties. Several applications will work quite happily with an "extended desktop". Samurize is one of them, and extremely useful in displaying system stats. Moreover you can "pin it to desktop" so that it will only appear on the PSOne and cannot be moved from there. Below an example (on a S-Video TFT, admittedly, but that should not matter):

[​IMG]

10. someonescop

Actually, looking at my vid card, I do have 1 DVI and 1 VGA out +S-Video out. So I could have my main LCD hooked into my DVI and the ps1 LCD into the VGA? Is that what you mean? :confused:

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The PS1 LCD will only go into the VGA (or the S-Video, if you use that option). It has no DVI option. Therefore it stands to reason that you use DVI for your primary monitor and VGA for the PSOne.

12. someonescop

That was my understanding, but didn't get the part about the vga dummy and plugging in the ps1 lcd afterwards. Can't I just plug both LCD's in the proper ports before starting up the computer?

Last edited: 24 Jul 2005
  13. elmodder

i testes with some vgas

gf6600gt AGP dual DVI (it came with 2 adapters)

results:
    psone lcd pluged and no monitor on the other dvi port > lcd was detected
    lcd + crt= no detection of lcd
    crt + crt > when in windows switch one crt for the lcd > lcd worked
    crt + vga dummy > switch dummy fo lcd >lcd worked

then i tryed with my new 6600gt PCI-e which has 1 vga and one dvi ports.

results where the same.

so, to keep it simple, dual head VGAs wont detect the ps one lcd if you conect it with another display, unless you use some "switch method" :(

14. Xylo

Xylo What's a Dremel?

Huh?..."no DVI option"?? What on earth does that mean?

I mean, DVI-I has a set of analog pins. Is there any reason at all you couldn't do the same hack with a DVI cable to the analog pins that you would with a VGA??

Look here at pins C1-C5.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvi

If I'm missing something here, I would like to know, as this is what I intend to (eventually) do!

15. Xylo

Xylo What's a Dremel?

I want to hook my PSOne LCD upto my graphics card, but for the time being, I don't want to do a full VGA (actually DVI-I analog, probably) mod. Mostly because I don't want to have to figure out the whole csync problem yet.

In practice which input have people found easier to use? The mini-jack on the back, or the multi-AV on the front?

For example:
    a) get a mini-jack to composite video cable (does such a cable to s-video instead?)...then just use a composite out from the graphics card into the mini-jack?

or

b) get a multi-AV cable (I've never seen a female-ended multi-AV...do such exist?) and just use the composite from the graphics card?

Thanks!
    Xylo

16. Xylo

Xylo What's a Dremel?

BTW, I wonder if it wouldn't be helpful for someone to compile a list of the possible solutions to the csync problem? ;)

Like:
    a) Use graphics cards _____ or _____ or _____
    b) Make a circuit like the one at this URL: ________
    c) tie hsync + vsync both to csync (might not work, right?)
    d) the various circuits I've seen, like:
    http://www.tkk.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/sync_r.html
    and
    http://www.tkk.fi/Misc/Electronics/circuits/vga2rgbs.html
    etc.

and some sort of comparison??.. ;) I'm still a bit confused on the whole csync issue.

17. someonescop

Ok, I got it working by going the s-video route. Looks pretty good in my opinion.

Xylo, if you have a s-video output on your video card, go that route if you don't want to solder. Just go s-video to rca video to mini pin (1/8 stereo) I went and bought an adapter with two rca (red and white connectors) on one end and the small mini pin on the other. I just used the s-video to rca adapter that came with my X800XL then used the cable I bought and that's it, she works well. No need to adjust anything at all. :hip:

Maybe sometime down the road I'll actually go the hardwired vga route, but for now I'm good.

18. fishthecat

fishthecat What's a Dremel?

I ended doing the same thing. Once I get the time and inclination, I'll have another go at the VGA mod.

19. compwiz

compwiz What's a Dremel?

wow, this thread is long...
    anyways i've basically scaned through the whole thing because i'm planning on doing the mod too. except i dont have an lcd screen yet. and i've been trying to get one on ebay. can someone tell me if the PAL screens work running off a 9800 Pro? I live in the US btw. thanks a lot.

20. elmodder

that worked with my matrox mistique (which has c-cync option, but i didn't need to turn it on) AND with my gf6600gt with DOESN't have c-sync

Tags: Add Tags