1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding PSONE LCD Mod

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by macroman, 6 Jul 2004.

1. compwiz

compwiz What's a Dremel?

2. user0001

user0001 What's a Dremel?

Looks great!

I've run the LCD alone on a 1A adapter with no problems.

I was thinking about buying a PCI-E x300 to use for the LCD alongside my x800 PCI-E, but and starting to lean towards the composite method unless someone can figure out how to make the card think theres a display there...

3. elmodder

elmodder What's a Dremel?

the vga dummy works, but you have to manually change it for the lcd.

i'll make a friend draw some "plans/blueprints" for a device that does the change with a key you can put somewhere in your case and post it here.

4. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

I got my psone screen working with the backlight to come up, and used the car adaptor mod. When I first turn on the computer a blue screen came up for a second then went off. This didn't happen the second time. The computer does not see a secondary monitor, what do you think I did wrong?

EDIT: The screen works on the primary vga port, but not on the secondary - neither does the TFT. I'm trying to run powerstrip, but I can't do that unless I get the second port to work. :waah:

Last edited: 13 Aug 2005
  5. gstlouis

gstlouis What's a Dremel?

So I've finally got it working! I'm using a Radeon 7000, and the VGA mod. The card supports C-sync, but i figured I'd make it easier on myself, and just attached both the H-sync and V-sync to the c-sync connection.

I'm using power strip, and I've found that I can only display the screen at 256 colors. Going any higher distorts the screen. It almost makes it look like, that if the desktop were made up of rows of 50 blocks, the screen would fit 51 on instead, so there is a "jagged" look. I would rather not keep 256 colors, as this looks like crap.

Any advice? Does anyone have any Radeon 7000 power strip settings?

This will be my "3rd monitor". I already have 2 CRT's, and I wanted this for an in-case display. I've tried to play video on this screen, but it just displays black. Anyone know the solution to this?

Last edited: 14 Aug 2005
  6. gstlouis

Sweet! I got the color problem fixed. Apparently, you must disable tiling. Well, regardless, it works now....

It is AWESOME!!!!!

So now, I want to have a program to display some useful stuff on the screen. I am currently using confabulator, however it seems that its all a bit too small. Is there another program to use to do the same thing, maybe with one universal window (rather than many draggable items), and possibly a little larger of a display?

7. Pelihirmu

Pelihirmu What's a Dremel?

It is (or is it?), but which way around? I got 50/50 chances to solder those wires right, but I don't want to take any risks.. :/ :D
    Does anyone know how can I mannage to get this thing to work? :worried:

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Sure is. There is Samurize, which is an incredibly flexible program, with lots of plug-ins that allows you to display pretty much anything in any form (including weather, RSS feeds, Winamp, system stats, you name it). You can download configs or create your own.

See example below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. quadmodz

quadmodz What's a Dremel?

Sweetttt!! I love LCD!

10. gstlouis

Okay, so I'm amazed. Samurize is a hard program to use. I'm puzzled on making my own config. Nexxo, did you make that layout yourself? I LOVE it! Any pointers or help you wanna send my way is more than welcome :wink: .

11. Nexxo

People keep saying how hard it is to use, but it is really a doddle (or am I missing something?)... It comes with a config editor which is very point-and-click, drag-and-drop, WYSIWYG.

Yes, I did make that config myself. As I said, it is easy. All you have to keep in mind is that Samurize does not allow you to move things to foreground or background, so the order in which you create shapes is important. New shapes always end up on top of older ones. Anything like meters and text, however, is always on top of everything else.

When you extend your desktop to the second monitor (the 5" TFT in this case), it will show up in the config editor. Just place all your config components on the second desktop. When done, "pin to desktop" the config so it does not slide around by accident. It will then always appear there when Samurize starts up.

My best advice is to play around with the editor, a lot. As you get the hang of how it works, you will get ideas of how to design your config.

If you include images, it is best to use .png format, as they recognise transparancies.

12. zachjowi

zachjowi What's a Dremel?

what is the name of the samurize program you use?

13. Nexxo

Er. Samurize?

It comes with its own editor.

14. gstlouis

Actually, unless i misunderstood you, you can move things to the foreground or background. At the top bar of the editor, there are 4 "arrow" buttons. 2 green and 2 blue. The green allow you to bring it to the front one layer at a time, or all of the way to the front, and the 2 blue likewise, except to the back.

15. Nexxo

Really? :hehe: Well, I never thought to look! :D Just goes to show: it doesn't take genius. If I can do it, anyone can...

Me feels so dumb... :blush:

16. gstlouis

Lol :hehe:

Now im trying to do some of my weather plugins. They have a listing in the forum for compatible icon sets for weather 2004. but how can i make sure that the icons match up to the various weather conditions? I've tried doing a forecast for the next 6 days, and it shows the same icon for each day!

Its confusing!!!

17. Nexxo

I haven't tried that one yet, to be honest. I'll have to have a look.

18. truewarlord

truewarlord What's a Dremel?

Thanks. I bought a Psone screen for a projector and I was surprised to find out that the screen didn't actually support VGA resolution -it can't since it's native resolution is QVGA. After a little research I found out exactly how this "mod" works.

The fact is this mod only simulates the standard 480i videomode the screen already uses. Basically the mod isn't anything special; any LCD can be modified by this means (since all LCDs display RGB) you just need to find the RGB and sync, simulate 480i (follow the "VGA" mod) and you're good to go.

I'd like to see someone to do the "VGA" mod on a 2.5" hip screen.

http://www.geocities.com/turbogt22/debunking.html

19. elmodder

elmodder What's a Dremel?

for that, you have to set the "alerts", so that when the "meter" reads "rainy" the icon changes to the one you havve to specify in the alert itself.

ii think that sentence ended up a bit complicated :p

20. Xylo

Xylo What's a Dremel?

Hmmmm...good to know...

Tags: Add Tags