1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding PSONE LCD Mod

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by macroman, 6 Jul 2004.

1. ZeluR

ZeluR What's a Dremel?

Cheers.
    I'm also doing this mod. I've a Trustmaster 5" PsOne LCD, I can get it to work with VGA and PowerStrip but I can get it to startup with this VGA config so I thought to go with the S-video. I'm using a Radeon 9700 Pro but I can't get the LCD to show anything with the S-Video. I'm using a S-Video to PsOne/2 cable.
    Need some help to connect the wires from the 4 pin S-Video to the 12 pin PsOne/2 connector. I've tried with this;
    PSOne/2 S-Video
    5 <------------------> 4
    7 <------------------> 3
    8 <------------------> 1,2

PSOne/2 S-Video
    5 <------------------> 3
    7 <------------------> 4
    8 <------------------> 1,2

Do I miss something to get it running with the S-Video?

Appreciate some help here.

Cheers

2. The_Dude2040

The_Dude2040 What's a Dremel?

i mean like this. i thought a pic would help as i can't exsplane it. the screen is suppost to be showing one of thoses XP scandisk things

[​IMG]

3. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Looks like you need to turn tiling on, or off, I forget which :blush:

It's somewhere in powerstrip, if you look around you should see as an option somewhere.

4. The_Dude2040

The_Dude2040 What's a Dremel?

but my pc won't recongnise the second display, i got the ps1 screen connected to the d-sub by sticking wires in the holes. the only way i get it to work is hve it as the only thing connected. if i attach another monitor the ps1 screen go's black. but the backlight will still be on.

5. Instigator

Instigator What's a Dremel?

Hmmm...im trying this mod and im not really sure what to do now. i dont have a video out on my video card. It's a nVidia 6600 with dual dvi and an s-video. i thought that it would be a good idea to hook it up via s-video. but i have no idea how to go about it. Any help would be appreciated.

6. teepee542

teepee542 What's a Dremel?

I've just finished reading all 35 pages of this. some good info here. My dad picked up the LCD for me at k-mart for $13(US). I traded an old Palm V hand held for it so cost to me is $0. I have it working with an NVidia Geforce MX4000 128mb with the VGA mod. I wired the hsync and vsync together to the csync on the lcd. I did not make the circuit the combines the signals. I just soldered the wires together. This seems to work fine once I used powerstrip to change to the 640x480 arcade resoltuion. I do have to use the swap method to get the lcd active as the second monitor. I just found an article that says you can force monitor detection by using the following:

connecting VGA pin 12 to ground tells the video card that you have a monchrome monitor that cannot do 1024x768

connecting VGA pin 11 to ground tells the video card that you have a color monitor that cannot do 1024x768

connecting VGA pin 4 and VGA pin 11 to ground tells the video card that you have a color monitor that can do 1024x768.

I am going to try pin 11 to gorund tonight and if that does not work I will try pins 11 and 4. If this works I won't have to do the switch anymore. I'll post results as soon as I have them.

7. todd2fst4u

todd2fst4u What's a Dremel?

i cannot get my psone screen to display anythign over rca. i've hooked it up to my computer and to a dvd player but i get no image. can someone please help? thanks

8. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

After about 30 minutes of messing about with powerstrip I've got the screen working. And in the right position (resolution slightly higher than mentioned in the article so that I eliminate all the blue lines).

The desktop background appears fine, but when I put a program into the screen it flickers , as if it has a low refresh rate. Do I need to muck about with Powerstrip more?

Secondly, where do I download Nexxo's samurize config? I've search the whole friggin thread and can't find it :sigh:

9. vts

vts What's a Dremel?

http://www.samurize.com/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=18

its in this section, sorry its too late/early to be actually looking for it properly

(3am posting sucks)

10. ag3nt_7

ag3nt_7 What's a Dremel?

This sucks :(

I have tried this mod twice with 2 different LCD screens and I just can't get it to work.
    My current attempt uses an Australian PAL Ps One LCD screen, I have followed the instructions and wiring diagrams and I can't pick a fault with my soldering anywhere. Because I live in Australia and use PAL I have also connected the 5v DCC line as per the instructions. I can see the PS One LCD backlight come on when I turn on the power, but when it is plugged into my Matrox Mystique PCI card (I found it at a swap meet, easy way to get CSync) I get nothing. Always black. I cant even get it to light up with an out of frequency picture.
    Can anybody help me, I don't know if theres any extra wiring I have to or have missed, but I can make pictures of what I have done available if it would help anybody figure out what ive done wrong.
    This project is a great idea and I can't wait to get it working, hoping someone can turn my problems around.

11. MrWillyWonka

Have you followed the instructins? First, does the screen work if you connect it to the primary vga port? The computer will not recognise the screen as a device, so another monitor will have to be connected, the computer rebooted , this monitor removed and the the psone screen plugged in.

12. ag3nt_7

ag3nt_7 What's a Dremel?

I have tried the swap trick but the screen still comes up with nohing but black.

13. MrWillyWonka

Have you tried plugging it in the primary vga socket?

Also, I don't think the screen works on all graphics card. Try a different computer if you can.

14. ag3nt_7

ag3nt_7 What's a Dremel?

Yeah ive only been able to plug it into the primary VGA port as my Matrox Mystique only has one 9 PIN D-Sub connector

15. Timbo3185

Timbo3185 What's a Dremel?

does anyone have pics of the PCB that the LCD sits on? i was wondering how many connectors are attached to the LCD, i want to put it in my pc but have the PCB resting 90 degrees from the LCD so it will take up less space around the screen, i would only be adding like 10cm or extra wire to connect them

16. MrWillyWonka

I've looked all over the place and can't find a soloution. The psone screen can display something upon boot, but as soon as I get into windows I get a blank screen. The only way around this is to plug in a proper monitor before, start the computer, go into windows then switch over the vga connectors to the psone screen.

I can't do that every time I boot the computer! So how do I get around that? I have the 7800GTX, the screen is on the primary vga port, I thought that would help but it doesn't.

How do I get the GTX to output a signal on the vga port, when it doesn't recognise the screen as device?

17. ag3nt_7

ag3nt_7 What's a Dremel?

I might be able to help you MrWillyWonka. A while ago in one of my computer magazines they wrote about a mod to get old computers (like webservers) to boot without a monitor when usually they would bitch about it. Basically it involves soldering a few resistors into the back of a D-Sub connector, which is what im assuming your using to wire the LCD to your PC. I think it worked by tricking the computer into thinking there was a signal present. If you are interested ill find the article and scan it for you, and you should be able to work it into your current mod.

18. user0001

user0001 What's a Dremel?

Yes, Google "HTPC VGA dummy"

19. xmas111

xmas111 What's a Dremel?

20. ag3nt_7

ag3nt_7 What's a Dremel?

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I thought that my LCD mod didn't work for months, until i plugged it into my Geforce 6600gt. Lo and behold i got some nice fizzy out of sync lines. It wasnt a picture, but it meant it worked. Apparently my matrox mystique PCI card which i bought specifically cos it had CSync is a piece of crap. When I plug a monitor into it works, but when I plug my LCD mod in it just goes black. Has anyone had the same problem? Or do i just have a dodgy card?
    Just wanted to know as this is a real dissapointment as now I will probably have to build the Csync circuit (if only i wasn't an Nvidia fanboy) except even with my circuit knowledge I still can't work out a small portion of the circuit diagram at starfox's site.
    Anyone got a suggestion on any other good cheap PCI cards that support Csync?

Tags: Add Tags