1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding PSONE LCD Mod

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by macroman, 6 Jul 2004.

1. acidfire

acidfire What's a Dremel?

anyone? the lcd board dimensions? please?

2. Dr. Nemesis

Dr. Nemesis What's a Dremel?

Hi. first time I been here, and I definately wanna do this to use the LCD as a secondary monitor.
    In the article the picture shows that Powerstrip is being used with a Geforce4200 ti (like I have), however the article says that most Nvidia cards have no C synch. Does the Geforce4200 ti happen to be one of the few cards that has it, or did you need to make a Composite sync circuit to get it to work?
    And what will actually happen if a card with no synch is used without a Composite sync circuit?

3. Pash91

Pash91 What's a Dremel?

I have a problem. I had a guy from gracious home help me wire mine up. I couldn't because my hands aren't steady enough. Anyways, I was watching him do it and he did an amazing job. He told me he used to work at sony and that he built a board that would turn a ps1 into a ps2. Anyways, I came home all excited to try it when I realized it wasn't turning on. The power was plugged in and it was connected, but I could no longer even play with the brightness like I could before. After a lot of frustration and experimenting, I plugged it into my main video card and it worked. Now I know my Matrox Mystique 220 works because I have been able to use my main monitor on it, but Only when I switch the priority from AGP/PCI in bios to PCI/AGP. My question is this. I have an ASUS p4c800 -E deluxe motherboard, How can I tell it to turn both cards on? I tried plugging in a different monitor into the mystique but it wouldn't turn on either. When I plugged my PSOne into my main, I got power, but the monitor wouldn't display anything, It was as if it wasn't plugged in, could this be becuase the card was set to display the resolutions on my main monitor and not my secondary? Thanks for the oncoming replies. Please help me :waah: :waah: :waah:

4. Dr. Nemesis

Dr. Nemesis What's a Dremel?

NM.
    I've decided its too fiddly for me with the time I got and will be connecting via the TV out (svideo to composite to 3.5mm).

5. Flymo

Flymo What's a Dremel?

did you keep the priority to pci/agp?
    You need to have the BIOS recognise the PCI card as the primary monitor , but in windows, make the AGP card the primary monitor

Flymo

6. PsyVision

PsyVision What's a Dremel?

Yup i do live in the UK with the PAL version.

I have had it running at 750x576 i think it is

7. Pash91

Pash91 What's a Dremel?

Well if I do that, the AGP card isn't initialised, so the only video is coming from the PCI.

8. Flymo

Flymo What's a Dremel?

If you go to the display properties, you can then activate the AGP card in windows.
    It will mean that the PCI card will show all the boot screens, but once into windows, the AGP card will take over as primary display.

Flymo

9. Pash91

Pash91 What's a Dremel?

Thanks, Ill try that when I get home and will promptly report

10. Pash91

Pash91 What's a Dremel?

Forgot to ask, do you think it would be possible to run a visualization from wmp on the primary monitor on the AGP while I have my player/playlist open on the secondary/psone/PCI screen?

11. dimension53

dimension53 What's a Dremel?

power

can use use a psu 's molex connector to power the screen or not,im confused..... :idea:

12. Pash91

Pash91 What's a Dremel?

you can but you need to get the cigarette lighter adaptor. You chop off the the part that plugs into the car and wire the ground to one of the blacks and the live to the yellow.

13. Pash91

Pash91 What's a Dremel?

Ok so I shifted the priority and the psone monitor doesn't turn on. If I switch it to the AGP and my Primary to the PCI it turns on. I haven't started playing with the timings, but I can tell its working. Any ideas? :waah: :waah: :waah:

14. buckitrade

buckitrade What's a Dremel?

I just bought the psone lcd and would like to know if anyone has tried using it with an apple ibook or know if it will work? The ibook has an ATI Raedon 7500 32mb video card. Any input would be great. Thanks :thumb:

15. tawatt

tawatt What's a Dremel?

psone power connector

on the power connector which is the positive? blue or white?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 28 Jul 2004
  16. BakedGoods

BakedGoods What's a Dremel?

Do you have to cut a larger hole for the LCD screen? Or does just taking the floppy bays out suffice? I hope I don't have to cut the hole to make it larger... Also, I'm planning on doing it with a PC68 or PC65 or (maybe) PC60. Will the lcd board and screen fit between the case and the front panel? Or would I have to take out the floppy tray and put it inside the case? I'm hoping it'll fit inbetween...!

Last edited: 28 Jul 2004
  17. adamjones01101

adamjones01101 Minimodder

To begin with, if any of you have gone as far disassembling a NTSC version of the PSOne screen as I have, then you have no doubt realized that the screen is a Samsung TFT-LCD module. If you look closer, at the corner, the model number is etched into the metal edging. The model number on mine is "LTS500Q1-GF1" because I haven't seen the PAL versions of the LCD, I have no idea if they are the same model. In fact, there is another model of a very similar, if not identical, thing. The model number for this is "LTS500Q1-GF3." Again, I don't know what the difference is, so if you want to know the answer, you'll have to find out on your own time. After several hours of searching, checking the Samsung website, as well as MANY other suppliers, I managed to find something I found out of the ordinary. The web page was supposed to be in PDF format, but I could not click on the link, because there wasn't one! I copied and pasted the URL, however, and found that the document was exactly what I had been looking for, and asking Samsung for, and asking LCD suppliers for, and asking Sony for...I had found the specs for the Samsung LTS500Q1-GF1 screen! It has everything on it, viewing angles, IC link pinouts, everything! And I'm going to give you people the link just because I'm a nice guy. It's Right Here!

Now comes MY question. Does anyone have ANY clue who the supplier is for the IC link?! I have searched fruitlessly for the past week, and cannot determine who it is. If I can find out who the manufacturer of the link is, then I'm sure I could persuade them to send me an extension 30-pin ribbon cable to the same width spec as the IC link. This would allow me to have my LCD screen nearly independent of the controller board. (ie: The screen mounted in a drive bay without the controller board, while the controller board is mounted in a fixed position in the rear of the case.) If anyone has ANY idea who this supplier might be, or if the manufacturer is Samsung themselves, let me know. I've learned not to trust brand name, considering that Sony has a Samsung LCD, and Foster speakers. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help!

Last edited: 25 Aug 2004
  18. BakedGoods

Awesome, that's a pretty good find! I did a little searching and couldn't come up with anything either, it seems Samsung doesn't even make then anymore, and the IC link manufacturer seems inpossible to find :/

But can anyone answer these questions I have:

1) I'm getting a PC68, or PC60. Will the lcd board and screen fit between the case and the front panel? Or would I have to take out the floppy tray and put it inside the case? I'm hoping it'll fit inbetween...!

2) How does the S-Video mod work? You plug the S-Video side into your videocard, and then plug the other side into the rectangular port on the lcd? Anyone have pictures of the port?

3) If, for the PSU, I decided to do the car adapter method I'm wondering if I could place a 12v switch in there to turn on and off the LCD. Is a 12v switch too much? I don't know much about electronics...!

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Last edited: 29 Jul 2004
  19. adamjones01101

adamjones01101 Minimodder

My answer to Question One: I'm not quite sure what you mean by "between the case and the front panel," but I'm assuming that you mean you would like to have the LCD separate from both the 5.25" and 3.5" drive bays. If this is the case, then my answer would be no, to both the PC-60 and the PC-68. It will not fit, just looking at the overall dimensions of the front panel. If, on the other hand, you mean inside the drive bays, it will probably just fit inside the 5.25" top drive bay, as the controller board at its widest is just under this, at about 5.125". It will also replace the 3.5" floppy bays, though it seems from your question that this is not the desirable route to follow.

My answer to Question Two: I'm not very familiar with the different types of connections, other than VGA. So as far as S-video goes, can't help you too much there. You'll need to find the pinout for the "AV MULTI PORT" IN on the small PCB attached to the LCD. Then you should be able to make your own s-video connection cable. Research some more and see if you can find the NTSC version pinout. I'm not sure if the PAL versions are the same, but if it helps you any, there is a post in this forum here, about half way down the page.

My answer to question Three: Because the PSU has at least one +12 outlet, you should be able to mount a 12V switch on your cable. However, you must make sure that it is in front of the box (adapter part) of the cable, so that it is only switching the 12V on and off. Also, I would read a little farther up in this forum on this page, because if you do a VGA port PCI card setup, you can set it up to run the small screen during your startup and the large screen during your Windows session.

Hope all this helps! (i'm still learning, too!)

20. BakedGoods

Thanks a ton! You have a lot of useful information in there.

1) I want to put it in the 3 floppy drive bays. But I was wondering if the screen goes behind the case's faceplate (front) or inside the actual case?

2) I thought the PSOne LCD has a port for an S-Video/composite video cable to go into? In this thread: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=44865&page=5&pp=20 the modder didn't do any saudering (sp?) and was able to get it hooked up using his S-Video, so I assumed there's a spot on the back of the lcd to hook S-Video up to it without much additional work.

3) I'm a bit confused about the car adapters...I've seen PSOne LCD car adapters that just have the end (to the LCD), and the car adapter end (big piece of plastic). But the offical Sony one has a big bulky adapter block in the middle of them both! Any explaination for this...? Does the Sony one work and the others do not? Is this what you mean by attaching the switch before the adapter?

Tags: Add Tags