1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding PSONE LCD Mod

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by macroman, 6 Jul 2004.

1. adamjones01101

adamjones01101 Minimodder

First, which connection are you using? If you're using the VGA connection, then you will definitely need to download PowerStrip and utilize it. If you're using the S-Video connection, then maybe there's something wrong with your controller board? Not quite sure...post a pic of your connections, and we can see if we can figure it out.

You're going to need to change the priority of the video cards in your BIOS, as well as then switch the priority in Windows to use G4 during your Windows session as a primary. So the priority in BIOS should look like this PCI-->AGP, and your windows should be set up like this: AGP-->PCI. You then should be able to make the Matrox/LCD combo an extension of your display. Look back a few pages in this thread, because I think there was a conversation about this same subject.

Have fun and Rock on! :rock:

Last edited: 31 Jul 2004
  2. acidfire

acidfire What's a Dremel?

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOUT HANK YOU THANK YOU
    :D:D:D:D:D

It'll fit, hurray!
    :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

</endidiotpost>

3. tawatt

tawatt What's a Dremel?

dvi won't work on 9600pro

i cannot get the dvi port to work on my 9600 pro.

i've put my main monitor (samsung syncmaster 900p) on the dvi port via dvi to agp adapter and it will not show up. the psone lcd will work on the agp but not dvi. tried extending the desktop to the second monitor when the lcd is plugged into the dvi but when i hit apply the box becomes unchecked.

anyone else have a problem getting 2 monitors working on a 9x00. powerstrip 3.5 is installed but when i go into it it will only see the one monitor. tried re-booting but no go.

do i have to use multimon to get two monitors to work?

i have not grounded pins 4 and 11.

it is a ntsc lcd.

4. z3ro.GER

z3ro.GER What's a Dremel?

So hi at first :D
    I have a quaestion i cant find this display in Germany so where could i find it ? And how much does it cost ? can some one buy it 4 me ? and send it 2 me ? i mean would some one do it 4 me this is my last chance to get one

sorry 4 my bad english :waah: :waah: :waah:

5. buckitrade

buckitrade What's a Dremel?

I would like to input audio to the lcd speakers. Could someone tell me which pins allow me to do this?

6. adamjones01101

z3ro...I would just pick one up on eBay. Many sellers tend to ship internationally, or if that doesn't suit you, you can check the eBay Germany website. I've checked and at the moment, you can pick one up for about 70 euros. Also, check the other international eBay websites. Hope this helps you out! Rock on! :rock:

I found the pinout for the LCD monitor so here it is...

1 Ground
    2 Right Audio
    3 Ground
    4 Left Audio
    5 S-Video Y
    6 NTSC Video/Composite Sync
    7 S-Video C
    8 Video Ground
    9 Blue
    10 +5 Volt
    11 Red
    12 Green

Last edited: 1 Aug 2004
  7. karrektor

karrektor What's a Dremel?

no power?!

ok, so far i have wired her up got both cards running and installed pci is prime in bios and agp is pri in windows both cards are displaying when i switch my main monitor between em.

ok, so the problem is no power to the lcd it just dont fire up, i have tryed both incar method and ac adaptor. is there a way of testing if ive blown it up?
    (never had it running yet) thought it might be that ive put the small cables back onto the pcb wrong ( the 2 clip in clusters ) but even switching them over i get nothing .

BTW i wired it straight to the card as i couldnt get the connector with all the pins in :waah: (VGA method)

presuming that i did it right pin 1 is holding the card up so the connectors are at the top, the bottom right pin ?(on the pcb not the connector)

15 . . . . .
    . . . . .
    . . . . . 1

Last edited: 2 Aug 2004
  8. Willie92

Willie92 What's a Dremel?

Isn't there a non-soldering solution to this as well? I followed the trace from the header (green circle) that was used for the soldering mod over to the pins that connect to the wires that lead back up to the LCD (blue circle--you can't actually see them because the previous red square covers them up, but they're just to the right on the board). Couldn't you just splice the wires directly from your VGA cable to the wires that lead up to the LCD based on this:

[​IMG]

Do you HAVE to solder onto the header??? Is that circuit doing anything???

9. adamjones01101

The answer is no...you do not have to solder directly onto the VGA header. My suggestion would be to make your own VGA cable out of a male connector, some Cat5 cable, because if you cut an existing VGA cable open, how are you going to know which wires go to which pins? Cat5 has 8 individually colored wires, and that way you can guarantee yourself a match-up with the pins on the PCB and the pins on the male connector.

Have fun and Rock on! :rock:

Edit: I just reread your post, and I misunderstood your question the first time. In theory, your idea should work. My suggestion would be to try it out. Don't forget though, that it will be a bitch if you can't get the right wires connected, or if you need to put the wires back into the header for some reason. If you solder, you can just desolder what you've done. Peace out.

Last edited: 4 Aug 2004
  10. karrektor

hmmm...........

ok still no joy,

i have tested my lcd and it does work ive soldered the psx pins in and soldered the vga so soldered joints both ends no external wires:)

ok still have that power prob although i know it works on a psone i get no signal i presume its the +5v (pin 9 psx pin 10 vga) but cant see why it wont power up ive buzzed the pins out end to end all matches up so im realy stumped! (this is a PAL lcd)

BTW if u wanted to try soldering to the graphics card a way to see what pin is what is use one of the lcds speakers a 9v batt and a few bits of wire and make a home grown buzzer so a pin goes 1 side into the connector thats attatched to a wire and to a battery terminal other terminal has a wire to the speaker and then wire to a pin which when you touch the right contact will make a clicking sound!!!.

however i still have my problem it wont switch on!!!

11. adamjones01101

Hmm...I'm stumped, too, Karrektor. I would just check out the bit-tech guide on how to do it, because it's for PAL LCD screens. Mine is an NTSC screen, so I'm not too familiar with pin 9 on the PSone PCB. You may want to try asking the author of the guide, though I'm sure that there have been many similar, if not exactly the same, question as your own. Sorry that I can't help too much here, but like I said, I'm not familiar with the "pin 9" problem.

Rock on... :rock:

12. Willie92

Yeah, I think I'll try this option since my soldering skills suck and the area that is being soldered is pretty small. I'll just be sure to label all the wires in case I have to splice them back together...

13. karrektor

yay power at last!!!

FINALY got this sukka to light up)

is a whistling sound normal as i switch frequencys in powerstrip?

all settings i have tryed havent worked wondered if i was getting interference from somthing

14. muffe

muffe What's a Dremel?

Anyone who can make me an LCD soldering for dummies how to make my Sony branded LCD screen to work on my computers TV-out?

Like this one for LCD2VGA : http://www.bit-tech.net/images/article/136/schematic.jpg

Just a LCD2TV-out or Svidio or what its called..

I have seen someone talking about it inhere, but im afraid of screwing it up by misunderstanding something, so that Soldering for dummies would help me a lot! :)

I thank the one, who takes the time to paint it! ;)

15. Willie92

Well, I can provide partial confirmation that splicing directly into the wiring as I diagramed works--meaning that I can see the boot portion when it's in VGA mode. I'm still waiting on my Matrox Mystique card from eBay to show up so I can start messing around with PowerStrip and figure out the timing. But so far so good!

16. Willie92

OK, got my Matrox Millenium card from eBay today. Installed and hooked up and I'm almost there! I've been messing around with the powerstrip settings, but am running into a problem. I can't seem to get the Pixel clock to go below 30! I've gone in Custom Resolution and selected 640x480i (Arcade) and on that screen it says the Pixel Clock is at 13.582, but after I select Add New Resolution and it goes back to the Advance Timing Page, the Pixel is at 30.067 and I can't adjust it lower. Any ideas? Here are my other timings:

PowerStrip timing parameters:
    640x480=640,112,64,96,480,6,10,32,30067,2174

Generic timing details for 640x480:
    HFP=112 HSW=64 HBP=96 kHz=33 VFP=6 VSW=10 VBP=32 Hz=62

Linux modeline parameters:
    "640x480" 30.067 640 752 816 912 480 486 496 528 interlace -hsync -vsync

17. Dr Zoidberg

Dr Zoidberg What's a Dremel?

Hello,
    This is my first post on the bit-tech forums, i have been following these psone threads here and other places for a little while and now have my screen purchased from someone on these forums,
    Just a few things that do not seem to add up with what other people have done/said.
    first off im useing a PAL screen so the screen res should be 720 X something max correct? while i have been messing with mine and it is currently running at 1024 X 768 at 32 bit colour, if displaying text you need a big font (about 20 or more) for quick glance stuff but running music videos on it they look much better.
    also i am currently useing the svideo option, an adaptor out of my graphics card the a normal stero 3.5mm to RCA from the lcd to the adaptor, seems to be working fine although i am going to go the VGA route in the end,
    the screen is going to be mounted outside of my case so it is staying on its own power block.
    is anyone useing the svideo option useing powerstrip or is it even needed for svideo? it caused me no end of problems, it is currently installed and running so a bit nervous of removeing it after the problems i had incase it needs to stay,
    but i would recommend to anyone useing dual display, whether its one of these screens or 2 noraml crt/tft screens, got your self a copy of Ultramon,
    has been more use to me than anything else i have tryed, allows completly different settings for each monitor, res, refresh, screensaver, wallpaer, and adds boxes to all windows to stretch across both displays or switch it from one display to another.
    Keith

18. nosmo

nosmo What's a Dremel?

Ultramon looks cool !

Will be using that when I get my PS One screen eventually set up :thumb:

19. Dr Zoidberg

Dr Zoidberg What's a Dremel?

Ok i got a big problem now, dont know if this is the best place to post but as it was trying to set this screen up that has caused the problems its worth a go.
    when i boot it goes past the xp splash screen and my main monitor plugged into the VGA port goes to sleep, the only way i can boot into windows with it on is by pressing f8 and picking 'enable VGA' and i have never seen that option in the f8 menu before.
    i have removed the LCD as got cable problems, uninstalled powerstrip and ultramon for a min and put all the windows settings back to single monitor stuff but it still refuses to kepp the monitor awake unless i go in with the enable VGA option.
    Any one got any ideas on what may be causeing this, as in theois mode i can not do anything to fix the cable problems with the LCD,
    Thanks
    Keith

20. CooLJoE

CooLJoE Minimodder

Well, I finally got the chance to wire my screen to a VGA connector. Being an NTSC model, I only used the Red, Green, Blue, Video Ground, and S-Video Y (all the same connections as the article says, aside from the +5v/DCC one that seems to only be needed on PAL models).

I plugged it into the DVI->VGA connector on my 9800 Pro and its a no go. I believe someone else was having the same issue. When you tell XP to enable the second monitor, it tries and then sets it back to disabled. When I tell PowerStrip or UltraMon to enable the secondary display, they do the same thing or nothing, leaving my PSOne LCD screen to be blank and disabled.

Has anyone found a fix for this? Am I basically stuck with needing a 2nd video card with the C-Sync ability?

I was actually hoping I could use this off my laptop since it has VGA and DVI ports, but it doesn't seem to work on that either (9700 mobile).

Tags: Add Tags