1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding PSOne LCD screen - cigarette car power adapter

Discussion in 'Modding' started by MegaRouge, 2 Jul 2004.

1. Pash91

Pash91 What's a Dremel?

I'll admit i am nowhere near being even noobish at circuts and the such. I hold noobish people in high esteem when it comes to that so please help me out. I did not fully understand the post above. Are you saying that if you cut off the part that gets connected into the cigarette slot, connect the ground wire to one of the black ones, and the live one to the yellow +12 v cable on the molex, you'll be able to power the LCD without poblems. You don't need resistors or anything?

2. MegaRouge

MegaRouge What's a Dremel?

Pash91 - Yup, that's exactly what I did. Quick and easy and works great. I'm watching TV on the LCD right now :D

3. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

Yes it should work... :D

4. Pash91

Pash91 What's a Dremel?

Alright cool, I got the screen from Ebay a while ago, still waiting for it to come :rolleyes: . Does the PSOne cigarette adaptor work for the screen as well? If so I need to get back to ebay.

5. MegaRouge

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. The cigarette adapter provides power to the LCD from your power supply once you mod it. For the image you need to either use the composite video output of the screen, or solder a VGA cable to the VGA port of the screen.

6. Pash91

Pash91 What's a Dremel?

I meant that there is no "lcd cigarette adaptor" its the PSOne cigarette power adaptor that happens to also work for the screen. I got my adaptor today and I am hoping to get a chance to start modding it. The one that you got, is that the official sony one? Because I don't really want to start figuring out which one is ground and live.

7. MegaRouge

Ok, I see what you mean now. The adapter is meant to power the PSOne and the LCD together, but it works fine for just the screen.

I had the official Sony one - I'm not sure if anyone makes an unofficial one or not. I tested it with a multimeter to be absolutely sure what was live and what was ground - I didn't want to risk frying the screen!

8. Pash91

Pash91 What's a Dremel?

Ok so I'm gonna go with your ground/live wirings. I believe we have the same adaptors so I dont think it should be a problem. Thanks or all the help

9. knightyc

knightyc CPC refugee

damn my cigerette lighter doesnt have the box in middle of cable i chopped the end off and all i have is a blue wire and a bare wire on it....

what do i do

10. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Ooh, thread revival! Anyway.

You don't have the official PSOne adaptor don't you. Unless you can take the cigarette adaptor apart and figure out what is the transformer, there isn't much you can do.

I suggest you go out and buy the official PSOne adaptor, which has the transformer box in the middle.

11. Lemmingzappa

Lemmingzappa What's a Dremel?

Do you have any idea where I can get hold of one of the official lcd adapters in the UK ?

Ive looked everywhere for aggesssss and cant find one anywhere. Or is there another way I can power it via my power supply ?

12. Confused Fishcake

Confused Fishcake Minimodder

Can you not just use a 7.5V regulator? Buy one from maplins or wherever, you just need a fairly high current (Get 2A to be on the safe side) If you wan, I can give yoy wiring diagrams (It is just a three wire device, in/out/common ground)

13. Lemmingzappa

Lemmingzappa What's a Dremel?

If you could show me some wiring diagrams that would be great, thanks.