1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSP - Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by WireFrame, 22 Mar 2006.

1. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

I dissagree completely. First I don't believe that physical formats will die off in two years maybe because I know a little more about media distro than you(keep in mind 2300p scanned films at 1:1 uncompressed resolution have yet to be released and trust me they won't be streaming those online so we can count on one last physical optical disk format after BluRay), second investors in todays global economy care more about the long term growth of their investment rather than outdated annual reports. Just take a look at Google and you'll know what I'm talking about.
    And like I said many times Sony loses nothing from packaging BluRays with UMD, because they own the format. It's not a loss leader in the conventional sense like PS3 because the production cost of a UMD is pennies. In fact they may even turn in a profit due to higher BluRay sales as result of the bonus disk. Look at it this way Sony has the choice of making 1000 dollars off the two idiots who like to purchase UMD films as a stand alone format or they can earn 10 cents off 1 million people who will buy BluRays. The choice is obvious. But honestly only time can tell so we'll see, if Sony over prices the BluRay + UMD combo than the format will die, but if they see the long term benefits of the format than they stand to gain a hold a brand new market.

Lastly on a personal note how I spend my money is my business please don't assume that the world is like you, it's more than a little rude to preach to others about how courteous they should be with their money. So please don't let this get personal lets keep it on topic, cause I don't wanna start calling you cheap. Lets leave it at that.

2. FaIIen

FaIIen origami killer

I bought a PSP 2.5 last week. I got it for one whole week and I see that this little **** has great potential even with the GTA exploit. I can't load lots of stuff because of the latest firmware, however I managed to play old adventure games through Scummvm and some SNES, Mega Drive and NEO GEO games.

By locking the software on every firmware, Sony are shooting their feet. Why OH why can't they let the people take advantage of PSP ??? :wallbash: Freakin greedy *******s ...I hope they die and PSP stucks in 2.6 firmware :rock: :D

3. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

It's common business practise to stop piracy at any cost, it's not like Sony has a choice. Because by taking licensing and royalty fees from third party game developers they are obligated to make an attempt to rid the console of any potential piracy exploits. Even if Sony didn't want to release new firmware upgrades they would certainly be forced to by mounting pressure from large developers like Capcom, EA, RockStar and etc who would leave the console if they felt they could not generate a return in investment on their products.
    Don't blame Sony, blame the fact that people myself included can't help but be tempted to steal when given the opportunity. If they hadn't invented the iso loader and kept the homebrews to simple non PSP emulations then we wouldn't be in this mess.
    So in short Sony no greedier than any of us, in fact if it's anyone's greed we should be blaming it's our own.

4. N/A

N/A What's a Dremel?

Don't buy... or if you really want, I have a 1.5fw I'm wanting to sell...

I'm 17, about to go to university, and I just can't imagine playing with it... so I'm going to sell it. I mean when I go to University, how many people is going to play with PSP? and I'm going to get a 3 grand desktop with top end hardware + 2407 when it's out with Z5500 and a laptop (paid from my own pocket) as a graduating present to myself (none from parents). so, why would you want a PSP?

Trust me, PSP is like a novelty, soon after you have it, you'll regret buying it.

5. FaIIen

FaIIen origami killer

I agree with what you say, however there are some things Sony could do for their customers. We're not living in the Game Boy Era anymore, we all know that information is free, every house is connected to the Internet, you simply can't stop people from gaining more and more information/data, make their own programs, mod their hardware and so on, not even if you are Sony. You have to accept it at some point that you can't do anything as a company to restrict people's electronic freedom. You have to give them something in return, something that will make them respect you and gain their trust towards the product you sold them.

For instance, they could find unlisenced games and release those for free on their website. Or make some free applications for PSP, text readers, file managers and so on (i know they gave us the browser but that was after a year). Why dont' they do that? Because they won't make any money, they just want to insure the fact that everyone will be forced to update and buy their software. It's annoying and provocative that PSP has a feature to load 3rd party programs but even with the latest firmware it's completely useless.

It's a complicated matter but I feel that we need to wait cause there's light at the end of the tunnel. I hope they'll release some decent games and apps ...I pray it won't be too late though :)

Last edited: 16 Apr 2006
  6. FaIIen

FaIIen origami killer

I hear/read that lots of people regret buying PSP. Those are people that buy everything shiny without thinking about its use. It's a portable console, obviously, there's no need to buy one if you spend most of your time in front of a PC. I bought it because I won't be spending much time at home for the next one year. So far I find it brilliant, I just need more Mbs to store stuff. :thumb:

7. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Brush the dust off your psp and buy me and my katamari. My psp hasn't seen this much use since GTA3 was released on it.

8. N/A

N/A What's a Dremel?

But you see, I thought the same thing. that I spend tons of time away from PC and that it'll be entertaining.

But soon I found out that I'm rarely by myself. I mean, at lunch, my friends hang out with me, after school, I'm studying for finals exams instead of playing, and even on my PC i rarely play games anymore.

The point is, you ALWAYS think you need/want it when you don't have it, but when you finally get it, the novelty will wear off, and becuase a PSP is not something you use everyday like a microwave or PC, you regret buying it.

Just my opinion. And if you still want one, I'll sell my 1.5 firmware capable of playing ISO's...

9. Jdogtoocool

Jdogtoocool What's a Dremel?

I love the PSP graphics but if your going to get one, then get a good game to go along with it because if you get boring game like GTA: LCS, then you might as well jump of a bridge and say holy crap :jawdrop: this isn't my pool! :wallbash:

10. nukm69

nukm69 What's a Dremel?

OH MAN WHAT ARE YOU SAYING!!! GTA is awsome, just like the rest of the gta's. Granted MOST of PSP games suck the big one. But the exploites and mp3 player alow for daily use. So its worth it, and its woth it when everyonce in a while they accidently release a sweet game like twisted metal and gta:lcs, or even wipe out.

11. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Actually, now for once I have to say not buying a PSP I wanted so badly was a good thing.

Alot of people in my year bought it only to get bored of it and stop using it. The games lineup is just far too crap to bring attention to people other than hardcore gamers.

Half the games are from PS2, what's the point. Games played over and over are put onto a portable format, no difference.

12. BobCobb

BobCobb What's a Dremel?

Meh, I regret Sony not allowing homebrew to exist. Other than that there are some good games out for it, as well as many reasons to own one. However, Sony has stifled the PSP's development too much.

For that matter, it doesn't get as much use as it used to. School and PC gaming have made me play my PSP less and less, and with firmware updates homebrew is harder to manage. However, I still enjoy GoC, and a good round of burnout or GTA every once in awhile. I imagine now that I actually have time, I will be playing a bit more. Especially those boring nights at work. :)

Tags: