1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU PSU Buzzing sound

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by theevilelephant, 17 Jul 2011.

1. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

My PSU has started making a buzzing sound, fairly loud and annoying. If I turn the power off at the back of the PSU the buzzing is still there but much quieter, obviously if I turn the power off at the wall/unplug it, then the noise stops.

Before I throw this PSU away and get a new one I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions. The main thing that interests me is the possibility that the house wiring is having some sort of effect (something a friend mentioned). The reason I thought that this might be the case is that I didn't notice the sound when I was at university, now that I've moved back home I can hear it. My mother's computers PSU (in the same house) also makes the same buzzing sound. My PSU is a Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro (750W) and my system is a 4year old C2D setup with a 8800GTS, so I am not overly taxing the PSU.

Any thoughts?

Edit: It's not the PSU fan. I just poked a wooden dowel into it to stop it, the buzzing sounds continues!

Edit 2: Just noticed my monitor is buzzing as well :grr:

Last edited: 17 Jul 2011
  2. rieh

rieh What's a Dremel?

I'm not sure about a fix, but I had a similar problem with a very old PSU. It was made in 2001, and worked fine. It was used for a few years, then sat in a box for a few more. I took it out a few months ago, when I was getting ready to build a system, and plugged it into the wall, under no load. It immediately started buzzing loudly.

I hooked up a CD drive to it, just to see. It didn't power the drive. It then began to smoke slightly. I decided that would be a good time to unplug it. I threw it out, got another one, and made sure that the outlet was grounded, and ran it through a surge protector, just to be sure.

My dad had a similar problem with his old desktop, and it turned out the outlet he was plugged into wasn't grounded. Test the ground connection, if you can.

Edited to add: Definitely check the outlet ground. If other components are affected, the problem probably has a common cause.

Edit 2: I just remembered that in the one I threw out, the fan didn't even start spinning. It might have been shorted, but I don't know. When it was in storage, it did get banged about a lot.

Last edited: 17 Jul 2011
    theevilelephant likes this.
  3. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer What's a Dremel?

If other components are buzzing, that suggests an issue with the electrical supply - try powering them from a different socket (preferably on a different circuit, even if that means running a long extension cable from another floor) and checking other items (plug a fan in to check whether its motor sounds different).

If so, the only fix (aside from finding the source of the problem - like a next-door aluminium smelter or neighbour with an arc-welder) would be to use proper power filter (such as a UPS or a ferroresonant power conditioner).

Edit: check to see if anyone is using Homeplugs (using the power wiring as network cabling) - these can cause interference issues.

theevilelephant and thehippoz like this.
  4. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

I went in search of an extension cable this morning and tried using the newest sockets in the house. No more buzzing! I guess it is time to get the house wiring checked :)

Thanks for the help.