1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Circa Eight-5, 17 Feb 2005.

1. Circa Eight-5

Circa Eight-5 What's a Dremel?

ok i've been doing research on a new psu to get because i want something more then 350 watts and i found the AeroCool AeroPower II+ 550W. I googled for reviews and they all came out positive and then i searched the forums here and got conflicting views. some people said they were decent and other knocked them. frozencpu.com has a good deal on it but it makes me slightly wary becuase its so much cheaper then all the other 500+W PSU's. opinions?

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

If they're a lot, lot cheaper than the other PSU's then they're probably quite a cheap brand, and in the long-run might not do you much good. Why are you thinking about such a high-power PSU anyway? Usually 480 Watts is more than enough for anyone - this PSU's only 430W and with 100+W through this processor it's still comfotable with 4HD's and two optical drives etc.

For good PSU's there are quite a few brands to look for; Tagan, Enermax, Ultra (see the advert banner at the top of the page), Antec, Zalman, Akasa and Hiper are all good, solid manufacturers - Enermax and Tagan being my recommendations, but a lot of people will stand by several different ones. :) :thumb:

3. Circa Eight-5

Circa Eight-5 What's a Dremel?

i jsut noticed that it was the blue light special on the site which explains why they have it so much cheaper then other websites. i dont really have any need for that much power right now but i just want to have my bases covered for future upgrades. i'm now looking at the antec truepower 430W or the Ultra X-connect 500W. i really like the X-connect for the obvious reason that i'm not stuck with useless cables and that the cables are awesome looking

edit: both the antec and the ultra are the same price where i'll be picking one up from

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

If both the X-Connect and the Antec are the same price, buy the X-connect; a better PSU simply because of the cable management to be honest. :)