1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU running too hot?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lucy2005, 19 Jun 2005.

1. Lucy2005

Lucy2005 What's a Dremel?

Hi, me again :rolleyes:

well as you know we have had a bit of a heat wave here in the uk and i dont think my psu likes it 1 bit... ok so i was on my pc as usual playing doom 3 :eeek: when i felt the top of my pc which was too hot to touch :worried: so i unplugged everything and took the side off and felt the psu which was insanely hot and making a ticking noise (like the noise ur engine makes when u turn ur car off :eyebrow:) so i just left it off all night.

now questions i think ull ask...

what psu is it? its a Tagen tg480

do u have proper ventilation for cool air to get too it? yeah my case is the Jeantech Phong the only thing is that theres loads of wires i dont use so i stuffed em as well as i could into the space below my dvd drive so that the air could get round better

hmmm thats all i can think of but feel free to ask more :thumb:

i just wanna know if the psu is faulty or summet? because it does get really hot (i keep checking now)

2. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

i think it's a known problem with tagen's i think they might be replacing them too :thumb: *afaik

might be a realy good idea to contract them about it...

im not 100% sure so you might want conformation form some other people on the forums :idea: :)

3. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

my Tagen is fine it's definatly not a problem accross there product line, I do know that some of the 420w units are prety crappy though.

In the heatwave today my cpu got to 75c! :O so I had to install some case fans for the first time in quite a few months :( I think I shall get another nexus and undervolt it which should keep things cooler.

4. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

The heatwave played havoc with my pc's too.

I have a temp regulated fan in my dell which went ballistic, sounding like a jumbo spooling up for takeoff.

The fans in my thermaltake butterfly PSU finally span up to some sort of speed due to the heat too, nice to know they work. CPU temp in my sig PC hit 50 for the first time in ages too, mind you the case temp was over 35 so not really too much of a suprise!!

I'd keep an eye on the temps during the next few days, if it is still running hot, then get in contact with the manufacturer. I guess it may have something to do with the system spec. What is your system spec?

5. Lucy2005

Lucy2005 What's a Dremel?

my system specs are

amd 64 3000+ (winchester not overclocked because i havnt a clue how to lol)
    512mb corsaire value ram
    galaxy geforce 6800gt (bought it because it throws all the hot air out of the case)
    crappy 120gig hdd (think its a maxtor)
    dvd re-writer (sony dru-10a or summet)

my temps at the mo (according to aida32)

motherboard 21C
    CPU 47C
    Aux??? 34C (dunno what that is)

and my psu is still hot but a bit better now i cleared all the wires and moved my dvd drive down to let the air get to it better

6. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Keep an eye on it, should be ok though. If you start getting instability or reboots it might be worth getting an RMA though, however it shouldnt be necessary. Check the lines at idle and load with a volt meter, just to make sure theres no huge droop under load.

If its any consolation, the rear fan guard on me PSU was untouchable it was that hot yesterday, that was idle as well....