1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice PSU Selection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bogomip, 16 Jun 2012.

1. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

So. I am very nearly there with my new build - if you haven't been keeping up :)

Now, I have been looking at PSUs. I know I need a decent one and haven't read great things about the Coolermaster Silent series of PSUs, so have opted nice and safe for a Corsair or Antec. However I have been reading about loads and efficiency etc, and thinking about the future possibilities of my PC. Because of the xfire ability of the APU I will probably opt for a HD 6670 GPU in the near future, however reviews put this as requiring a max load of about 380 Watts. Now the APU has a max of about 190 Watts from Reviews. Combined this is very close to the rated 600W of this PSU:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMP...UTF8&colid=3CRSDBRAD9Q33&coliid=ITTHF0CDLU8CV

However I am confused as many 700 Watt PSUs are said to be fine for SLI config of top end GFX cards, and surely if this low end GFX card required 380 then top end ones will but much more hungry, let alone two of them!

My main question is, will that PSU (600W Corsair) be good enough for the system I have specified with a 6670 GPU thrown in on top and crossfired?

Bogo

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I think you've misread power consumption on a 6670. 380W is for the full system. The 6670 will pull 75W or less.

A 600W is overkill for the system but offers tonnes of upgrade room. I'd probably go for a CX500 which will still be ample for the system.

Bogomip likes this.
  3. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Hmm ok, thanks very much :)

I think I will go with the one I suggested then, as in the long term it might be I want to upgrade mobo + cpu+mem + gfx but leave everything else as is (i.e. use the same case, power etc), and its only about 5-6 quid more expensive :)

Cheers and +repped etc!

4. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

Your system with a low-mid range GPU could run on a 300w PSU all day. My 2500k, 7850 system never uses more than 190w from the PSU except under synthetic GPU and CPU loads and your GPU will top out about half of what mine consumes.