1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding PSU Shelf Mod

Discussion in 'Modding' started by WaLLaWaLLa92, 11 Oct 2005.

1. WaLLaWaLLa92

WaLLaWaLLa92 What's a Dremel?

Well Here It Is , i just bought my new Shiny Blue Modular hiper 580w psu :) , all good but i have an acrylic case and went for aesthetic qualities over durability so putting this new PSU in being as heavy as it is there is a risk of it snapping and pulling and bending the plastic on my cheapo acrylic case and falling on my heatsink and ripping everything away from my mobo , and causing lots of £'s to go down the drain , so i wondered if any1 had any ideas of how 2 strengthen it to the case , and mayBe any ideas of a shelf or wht to make it out of and mounting etc , can anyone help? thnx :) .

2. xistins

xistins What's a Dremel?

This is only an idea but you could get some plexi and make a couple of peices to wrap around it. If they are mounted to case right you can make it stronger and make it look like its supposed to be there.

3. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

An acrylic wedge would be the most aesthetically pleasing solution while providing great support. I would use some IPS Weld-On for acrylic...I think it's #4?

4. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

ummm, i know in my chieftec case (albeit metal) it had bars taht ran under the psu, to kinda hold it in place, while the screws at the back only kept it against the back, so no matter what the psu could never ever fall..., maybe you could come up w/ some peices of plexy that are like 1x1x10cm and tap them and bolt them to either side of the case, if you countersunk the screws, and got some of the nice polished hex head screws it would look very professional and be part of your case, while providing alot of strength

5. WaLLaWaLLa92

WaLLaWaLLa92 What's a Dremel?

Thanks , i think ill try some plexi like you suggested and find a way of mounting it , ill get bk to you on the results...

6. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

Did you buy that case or is it fabricated?
    If it's bought dont worry the back is made to hold psu's in place but if you have doubts just buy some chrome washers or s/s ones that will fit the exact size of your bolts so when you screw it in the psu they will hold from a larger surface but i made psu's a lot heavier than anything you can buy and it held no problem
    Pic is the ps seen from under with a junction box,3 60mm fans and S/S shower hosing as sleeve(idea came from the Orac3) and it was held from the 4 regular bolts in the back :dremel: i wanted to have a squiddy(matrix) look loll

[​IMG]