1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU PSU Wattage question - HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nm007, 24 Feb 2009.

1. nm007

nm007 What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, i've got a problem staring me right in the eyes. I'm building a new system and i'm down to the last two parts (the PSU and mobo). The problem i have is the plethora of so-called wattage calculators that have given me numbers anywhere from 350W-1200W! This, as you can imagine, complicates the decision greatly. The machine does heavy graphics work (im a graphic artist) and some light gaming. And to complicate things, i'd rather have a modular or partly modular psu. However, i'm not married to it if there are inherent problems with the modular options (it'd just be nice to use only what you need). Here is what i've got for it now:

XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLI Motherboard - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Processor 2.66GHz
    (i haven't gotten this yet but it is what i'm going after, just so you can see the mobo/processor)
    Nvidia 9800gtx+ black edition
    4x 2GB OCZ DDR2
    Coolermaster V8 CPU heatsink (runs a 120mm fan i believe)
    1 Seagate 7200 RPM 1TB drive
    1 Seagate 7200 RPM 250GB drive
    LG 22x DVD R/W Drive
    three LED 120mm fans
    all wrapped up in a coolermaster atcs 840 chassis that has 3 230mm fans and an additional 120mm fan (plus it's periphials panel, but i'm not sure if it draws enough to worry about)

Lets assume the possibility of later expanding to one or two more large drives (1 TB realm) and possibly another vid card running SLI. The later is less likely due to issues running dual monitors, but i will probably up the storage space in near future.

any advice regarding the necissary or required wattage would be GREATLY appreciated. Most people have a hard time realizing how long i've toiled over this question before i gave up trying on my own. I'd rather have some breathing room over what i needed and i'm not afraid to go after a 900w or 1000w psu if it is required. This is a first build (and i'm told a rather ambitious one at that), that has only one piece of the puzzle left to solve. Thanks in advance, i am looking forward to your posts.

2. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

You say you might add another card, but with that mobo you have the option of adding a third, will you go all 3? This will affect the PSU you need more than adding afew HDDs I think.

3. nm007

nm007 What's a Dremel?

more than likely not, unless that is, someone address the issue of multiple monitors. I know the mobo is a little overkill for not running two or three way SLI, but i wanted the option available if someone figured a way around the aforementioned monitor issue. I use dual monitors for my profession (and it helps organize workspaces greatly!).

for the time being the dual and tri-SLI sits as a future option dependant entirely on the technology and how it will (hopefully) change in my favour.

4. nigelleg

nigelleg What's a Dremel?

If you want to cover your future options and expansion and want modular I dont think you could go wrong with a corsair HX1000 would give you plenty of headroom for expansion

If thats not really going to happen then the corsair HX620 should be a nice PSU for that system

pimonserry likes this.
  5. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

3-way SLI motherboards are a bit cramped between the PCI-E slots (when using dual slot coolers).. I personally prefer having a larger gap for air to move through. (read: 2 PCI-E slots, with two other slots between each PCI-E).

A Corsair HX1000 will handle anything (unless you really go for 3 way SLI with top-end cards).
    However, with just one Graphics Card, you'd be ok with the HX620.
    I am biased towards Corsair though (because they're amazing ;))

+1 for nigelleg.

Edit: The wattage calculator I use gave an answer of 800W, but then I ticked the SLI option, 4 HDDs, and 2 ODDs (just in case y'know ;)). I also went for two USB devices drawing power.

So it looks like if you realistically intend on going SLI within the next 3 years, the HX1000 (of the Corsair lineup) is the one to have, if you're going to stick with the single 9800GTX+, then The HX620 should be fine :)

Last edited: 24 Feb 2009
  6. nm007

nm007 What's a Dremel?

Ok, but i've heard that the corsair psu's have cable length problems, and seeing that its a fairly tall case with a bottom mount psu, do you think i'd have problems with the corsairs? or is this just not the case?

I had been looking at the modular psu's made by Ultra but i've heard a rash of power problems and totally horrific customer service from them.

7. pimonserry

I also have a bottom-mounted PSU, I suppose it depends how big your case is. I have the Corsair TX750 (non-modular) and the cables easily reach the top of the case (I have a mid-tower, Antec 300). In fact, I have a few pictures for you:

[​IMG]

As you can see, on the right, the ATX cable is tied to the case, and still has plenty of slack in it.
    Also, the 12V auxiliary CPU power has so much slack that I can tuck is around the PCI slots and under the rear fan.

Also...
    [​IMG]

This is why you should get modular power supplies ;)

Hope that helps :)

8. nm007

nm007 What's a Dremel?

i see that you have that cord tucked up and around and it looks like it has plenty of length, but is it still good enough to reach up from the bottom of a full tower? This case is pretty big.

9. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Now please stop talking him into one of these 1KW+ PSU monsters. NOT NECESSARY! Get a Corsair HX620W and be happy.

Also, going SLI "down the road" usually is a bad idea. Either do it right away, or just swap out your graphics card for a more capable one in a year or so. More than likely that card will run about as fast as 2 current cards in SLI (or CrossFire for that matter).

10. nm007

nm007 What's a Dremel?

also, is there any psu's out there comparable with the aforementioned corsairs? if nothing else, just for the sake of shopping around.

11. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Seasonic would come to mind. They manufacture the HX520W and HX620W, or at least used to.

12. nigelleg

[​IMG]

Cables with modular sorry not the best pic but gives you a basic idea

13. nm007

nm007 What's a Dremel?

so you guys think i wouldn't have any problems out of something in the 600W+ range? I had one or two people (that I know personally) tell me i would need a higher wattage psu - of course to be fair, I believe that all of the systems that they built were small project systems, nothing that would be power hungry to begin with (so i'm not sure how well they know how to guage power needs at upper levels). I just want to be sure that I don't short guess my systems power needs.

14. nigelleg

For that system you specced the HX620 would be perfect

15. pimonserry

16. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

17. nigelleg

Yes I also like that calculator it gives me about 415 for my system so as I thought I could of used the 520 but I went with the 620 as it will give me scope for next build