1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Public Transport... Not just usless.. But expensive.

Discussion in 'General' started by AndyDEL, 30 May 2007.

1. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

I'm one of the lucky ones. I work 5 mins away from a station and live 20 mins walk away from my home station. train journey is 20 mins and rarly more than 5 mins late. In the morning my other half drops me at the station cutting out 1 of the walks, so my total commute in the morning is 25 mins and 40 mins at night. If i was to drive it would normally take at least an hour each way. Plus this way I get to read a book for 20 mins each way and not sit in bumper to bumper traffic screaming at other drivers. For that I'm happy to pay £85 a month on a season pass if only to save my sanity.
    the downsides to it are that I am stuck to specific times of travel, I have to leave on time or I'll end up half an hour late waiting for the next train.

2. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Ive used public transport for the last 3 years, Down here its Stagecoach South for our Buses, and Southern Railways for our trains. Bognor Regis to Chichester, Return on a bus is £5.80, while on the train, its £4:50, this is to do a 6 mile trip, while the train goes about 10 to 12 miles. Stagecoach Goldrider Student, this gives unlimited travel on Stagecoach in the South exc London is £16:00, the Train between Worthing and Chichester, is £13:50.

The government want us to use Public Transport more, and to use our cars less (i dont have a car yet) however, its so bloody expensive its now becoming a joke.

Sam

3. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

Londons public transport is great when it works......and at the times you most need it it doesnt. And it costs an unspeakable amount.

My mum pays £1700+ a year, thanks mayor livingstone!

4. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

i ADORE public transport. london's bus network? freaking genius.

if i didnt live in a suburb i wouldn't own a car.

5. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

lol mayor livingstone more like dictator livingstone, I wonder how this **** has managed to fool so many people for so long. There is a site on the web about him find it at http://www.kenthec**t.co.uk/ obviously replace the ** with a swear word and you will get to someone who really hates him.

6. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I totally agree, for me that one journey was acceptable. Had there been two or three people all making that journey I would have used my car, split the petrol cost and it would have been much cheaper.

The most stupid of things is when a train is timetabled for a journey and has to do the journey despite beings less than 25% full. I've seen trains pull up at a station completely empty and only a couple of people get on. The amount of pollution produced and fuel used to move such a massive vehicle for 10 people is a joke.

7. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Actually, im guessing the train was a 2 car Diesel 158, Down here in the south we have Class 158's, that go from Cardiff to Brighton, and im guessing they refuel when they get back to Cardiff. Train and Bus operators get fuel cheap, Stagecoach pay 50p a gallon, and a bus can go for 2 days without refilling, but i watched a Double Decker bus pull into my Local Bus station with no passengers on board at all.

Sam

8. beesbees

beesbees What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 18 Jun 2011
  9. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

mind the gap!

10. monkeyville

monkeyville Evilish Monkey ++;

Every time i come back to Nottingham for the summer the bus prices have gone up. Its now a silly amount of £1.40 one way for a 10-15 min bus. Used to be £1 four years ago and no one can tell me thats rising at inflation. Its worse than London!