1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Puddidium235 - Feb 2023 Complete +Final pics

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cheapskate, 13 Nov 2019.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Puddidium235: A radioactive isotope of banana pudding. Generally considered harmless, but may cause eye strain if looked at too long.

Yep. :D I'm at it again. During the previous project I picked up some really obnoxious plexiglas. I was also drawing up something with brutalism as the theme. Eventually it evolved into what I will now attempt to build. -I mean, I kept telling myself, "too simple." How crazy did the design get? Well, here's a hint:
    [​IMG]
    -NOT a cube! :lol: Obviously, I may have set the bar a little high. Some of this stuff doesn't fit my little mill, so there might be a gantry mill mini-game.
    Speaking of Mills, I did some tidying up:
    [​IMG]
    -I got everything running on one pump, and chopped this old xerox chassis. Other mods include a ps2 plug for the antique keyboard.
    [​IMG]
    -Day one: I have here some freshly tile-sawed 3 1/2" tube, 1/2" clear with 1/8" teal bonded to it, and some strips of blue with...glitter. :D It's going to be gloriously obnoxious, I promise.
    [​IMG]
    -The first milling pic may be blurry, but it's nice and loud.
    [​IMG]
    -I'm trying some chinese bits here. (Well, they had a fake Japanese name on them, clever b*stards..) I will admit the edge cuts are nice and clean, but the center-cutting is a big fat lie. For this part I have a tiny hole in the very center, so I can line the part up after flipping it.
    [​IMG]
    -Here I'm drilling the center hole all the way through the part. I also marked out the horizontal positioning.
    [​IMG]
    -and again my camera proves it can change history and travel through time. (How the F does it save a pic from a day before AFTER this pic?)
    Anyway.. I was a little rusty after taking such a long break, and forgot to flip the CAD to match the part. :duh: YEP! The first part was also the first mistake. I'm good.
    The circle shows one of the screw hole starts on the opposite side. The X is where it's supposed to be.
    [​IMG]
    -Luckily, I made two blanks. This is a finished 2nd try.
    [​IMG]
    -I drilled and tapped these out. Did I mention these will be a reservoir mount? No?
    [​IMG]
    -Here's a hint. This is the last time I played with some of this heavy 3 1/2" tube. The tolerances were awful, it rattled, and there's no way to dismantle it.
    [​IMG]
    -Here's a bushing I'll be needing for this. You can see the awful surface cutting of the chinese bit here. I'm also noticing the holes are out of spec. (I HOPE that's the bits. God help me if my machine is out of tune. :worried:) This 1/4" bit should fit in the hole. Instead, I doubt it would fit if it was hammered in.
    [​IMG]
    -For now, I'm focusing on parts I can fit on the machine. Here's another hint of the loudness to come. It's florescent yellow pearl, and it isn't nearly as loud as the rest.
    [​IMG]
    -Enter our primary color: Neon banana puddin'. Notice it's UV reaction to even white LEDs. :D
    [​IMG]
    -Here's a better example of the edge and surface cuts. I'm not happy I now need to program a 2nd set of code for surface bits.
    [​IMG]
    -Here's my current parts pile.
    I hope you enjoyed my disjointed, disorganized, and downright cryptic first post. I can't guarantee it will make more sense in the future, but confusing you is just the nature of my game.
    I'll leave you with the part I'm currently trying to realize:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 21 Jul 2022
    No X, Vault-Tec, Osgeld and 6 others like this.
  2. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Ahh, this is a good sight to see. I haven't been on these forums for quite a while, and I come back to a Cheapskate build where I yet again have no idea what I'm looking at. :D Just like the old days, LOL!

The_Crapman, Boledile and kim like this.
  3. greensabbath

greensabbath Got Wood?

Looking good! I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

4. Cheapskate

Thanks! :D
    @Jeff Hine - *deep breath...Maybe? I still have to build a gantry mill.
    @ Bart - Confusion score+1 :lol: It took a week to lay out how it assembles, don't feel bad.
    @greensabbath - I hope it goes without incident. -Especially since the material was leftovers of someone's custom order.

5. arduum

arduum Minimodder

6. Cheapskate

Is that shock and horror, arduum? :lol:

[​IMG]
    -I have this framework in clear. It's on the inside, and I have a lot of clear, so 99% of the bracing will be layered 1/4" clear. :thumb: You can see I had to make the ring in 2 pieces and splice it together.
    [​IMG]
    -1/8 inch my *ss. I found the source of my undersized hole problem. I'm playing fast and loose with the tolerances anyway. I expect it will bite me in the butt about a year from now.
    These are currently selling as HQ Master brand on Amazon. I'll admit Amazon did finally nuke 90% of the "chinese amway" stuff you've heard me ranting about. These at least cut.
    [​IMG]
    -I have a spot on this "end cap" I'm building where the parts overlap. To fix this I planned to mill the bottom of the yellow bits at an angle. I clamped this little jig in the mill. The pictures of the process didn't come out. (Note to self: This plastic + flash = blinding white.)
    [​IMG]
    -Hey, I got a picture of it! So these little yellow bits each glue to a spline against the pearl disc. -and I'm already kicking myself for not building alignment tabs into the design.

Last edited: 20 Jul 2022
  7. pcroombrasil

pcroombrasil Minimodder

good details

8. Cheapskate

Thanks. :D

9. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Nooooo I got in late

10. Cheapskate

:lol: Not first this time. At least you made page one.

11. LePhuronn

LePhuronn Minimodder

Cheaps, that colour is obnoxious. Love it :rock:

12. Cheapskate

:D Thanks. It should be really blinding when I'm done.

13. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Ya know, I really should venture beyond my own thread more often... You're off to an outstanding start. I always love your 'out of the box' creativity!

14. Cheapskate

Thanks! :D Boxes suck!
    Sorry about delays, everyone. I'm still recovering from Thanksgiving. Kinda weird I must do more cleaning after guests visit. Also, the leaf fall that should happen in Fall happened. -Like, BAM! Autumn on a Thursday.

15. TodMod

TodMod Minimodder

Nice work man
    I'm waiting for the new update

16. TechnoMod87

TechnoMod87 What's a Dremel?

Need Moore :)

17. Mizuwari

Mizuwari In vino veritas

The thing I like with your builds (now that Iron Turnip's is finished) : they have something of Franck Gehry, we'll never know what will happen around the next corner, every new step is a splash of surprises. Even with the render :D

18. Cheapskate

Thanks. guys. :D
    @Mizuwari - I can't do Gehry. :lol: He likes 3 dimensional curves. I did propose a way to make curves to InsolentGnome with 1/8" polycarbonate. The problem there is the material only bends a little, and the color selections are clear and clear. I've done so much design based on milled plate for MNPCTech that my brain is wired to work with it now.

19. Brett89

Brett89 Minimodder

Looks awesome cheap!

20. Cheapskate

Thanks. :D You caught me with no progress to show. :lol: I made a 2nd reservoir end, but it looks like the first, so not much to look at.