1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Puddidium235 - Feb 2023 Complete +Final pics

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cheapskate, 13 Nov 2019.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Thanks, guys! :D
    @def - You do need that stuff. I could see you doing all kinds of mad sh*t.
    @piXelit! - It seems to just make me make weirder stuff. "bloody handsaw" : Get your fingers out of the cut. :lol:
    @One Works - You seem plenty creative to me. :D

2. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Awesome CNC you got there, looks like its working great :thumb:

3. Cheapskate

Thanks. :D It seems to work fine, but the sounds it makes are awful. :lol: There's a particularly nasty buzz when the Z moves at low speed.

4. Toru

Toru Minimodder

GREAT CNC works!:rock: i have a mini cnc:waah:

5. Cheapskate

Thanks. :D
    So did I. I cried too.

6. Cheapskate

So I had a thing I coded a while a go and forgot about...
    [​IMG]
    -I was playing with the idea of a domed reservoir cap, but the cutting paths were looking pretty bad. I decided to draw them out manually. Here is a series of 1/16" concentric rings, my dome shape, and the orange knobs are a rendition of a 1/4" ball end mill.
    -3/4" stock, three part flips.
    [​IMG]
    -and the first thing I do is get a bit booger. I had a feeling this bit was too short for the job. If the very first hole is a screw-up, then the rest will go smoothly, right? :thumb:
    [​IMG]
    -I changed to a longer bit and finished process one. You can see I scored the top corner for a zero reference point. I did the same on the underside. Time to break it loose and flip it.
    [​IMG]
    -The O-ring channel getting cut. Zero mark is visible in the bottom left.
    [​IMG]
    -Next I cut an air pocket with a 3/8" ball bit. I only drew one circle, so I decided to cut a little ring around the outside.
    ...Little did Cheapskate know that this would be a terrible idea. :worried:
    [​IMG]
    -Flipped again, and the outer edge is getting cut.
    [​IMG]
    -1st file of 1/4" ball cuts. 10 circles for the first 2, then only five for the next 3.
    [​IMG]
    -File 3? File one: 10 minutes. File 3: 1 hour. -Look at all the fluff. :lol:
    [​IMG]
    -File 4: just shy of 2 hours. I cracked the paper thin ring off before continuing. File 5 involved a lot of speeding up to get to something to cut, so it was the only one I had to actually babysit.
    -Maximum fluff achieved.
    [​IMG]
    -All cut, and ready for a sanding.
    [​IMG]
    -Here it's roughly polished up to reveal I made... a tit. :duh: My subconscious strikes again.

Last edited: 21 Jul 2022
    No X, IBMer, Vault-Tec and 2 others like this.
  7. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Seriously if you hada just posted up with that end tit pic and said it was off some Dyson Vac i woulda believed you ! it's truly amazing what you come up with :rock::rock::rock:

That second last pic looks like the a factory parker light lens of an old car.

8. Cheapskate

Thanks!
    :lol: Yeah the generic trailer tail light is a perfect match. I thought the same thing when I dusted it off.

Defyant Mods likes this.
  9. Cheapskate

OK, I managed to get sick this week, so I have nothing... I might as well stop teasing and show you why this thing is taking forever.
    [​IMG]
    -You should recognize the round do-hickey in the front and the reservoir tube. Slapped on either end of the res is a plexiglas sandwich of over complicated distro plates. To make it even more obnoxious, the front has a 1 1/4" chunk with still more water distribution. Water blocks are currently just vague LARGE cubes.
    -So some issues: I can't make a lot of the chassis until I get the final height of the reservoir assembly. There's a lot of stacked plastic in there that's going to be much thinner than spec, and I still have to level the ends of the tube cut. A 1 degree difference in angle over a 14" plate would be a lot.

I know what you are thinking, This is absurd. :D Well, I had the plastic.
    ...actually, I had a ton of 3/4", and thought it was 1/2" while drawing, so I had to buy more 1/2" :worried:

Vault-Tec, arduum, Karrek and 2 others like this.
  10. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Cool res cap :thumb:, whats the air pocket for in the middle?

11. Karrek

Karrek Minimodder

wow 3/4" would be some really thick stuff. I am interested to see the reservoir tower come together... Are you using the 1/2" for the inlet and outlet?

12. One Works

One Works What's a Dremel?

man, that's a whole lot of work to make a tit, sorry, reservoir cap

13. Cheapskate

Thanks. :D
    @riekmaharg2 - Partially because rounded dimples catch more light, and partly because I might need to add a shaft bushing.
    @Karrek - Yep. 2 1/2" layers with a 1/8" divider. Going by my average measurements it's about 1" thick on each end. So I'm losing 1/4" of an inch compared to the model. :worried: Getting long screws that match might be a problem.
    @One Works - I'm just getting started on 'over complicated'. :lol: I looked through the model, and I think that's the last subliminal slip.
    ...Maybe I should mount 2 D5's on the base of the tube? :lol:

14. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

I take a 10-year break and when I come back this is the first I see. It's like 2010 called and wants its worklog back!

I love that you're still the crazy acrylics man. :)

15. Cheapskate

@Nutman ! :thumb: I'm mostly just crazy at this point.

I'm late. I owe you guys an update. I had a bunch of drawing to do, so in the background I had the mill running.
    [​IMG]
    -I've had this SWEET glitter plastic palleted for months, so I got to cutting. Roughly $30 a square foot, and I turned half of this section into dust. This is the paddle wheel to power the gear works.
    [​IMG]
    -Gah! The glitter makes it weaker than normal plastic, and I used the good tape.
    [​IMG]
    -****!!!
    Thank God it's plexiglas. I fused it back together once I finally freed it.
    [​IMG]
    -This is a closeup of one of the other parts I did. I finished this one up with a 1mm bit to get some of the tight corners cut. I have to say that's a really pretty surface. For scale; this is a 3/16" thick part.
    [​IMG]
    -Sadly, I still needed to sand it a bit to get it to fit. The older parts were made when I was using those dicey bits.
    [​IMG]
    -A blurry shot of another four parts getting glued together.
    [​IMG]
    -and here it all is assembled. I figured out I can use the original gears. The center gear doesn't bind if you sand down the radius.
    [​IMG]
    -I finished up with the top support.
    [​IMG]
    I also milled some tiny bushings from HDPE. My favorite source for bushing material is old school binders. At this scale, they are almost entirely burring.
    [​IMG]
    -That's the drive system worked out. I need to get the main tube leveled next, and I can make some spirals as a side project.
    ...but first, the yard is calling. Fall didn't wait for me to get un-sick. :worried:

Defyant Mods and Jean R built like this.
  16. Jean R built

Jean R built Modder

Bling Bling :cool:

17. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Ive snuck in a few "re glued" parts from time to time :naughty: moving parts! Sooooo damm sexy :rock:

18. Cheapskate

:D Thanks.
    Does 'sexy' mean 'old fashioned' nowadays? :lol:

19. Cheapskate

Hellooo.
    -Tonight is a tale of tolerances, the intolerant builder, and the machines who loved him.
    [​IMG]
    -I took advantage of that tape that refused to let go and broke the paddlewheel. Here it's holding this bit of scrap while a FAT 3/8" ball bit rips through it.
    [​IMG]
    -The end result after three bit changes? One half of a motherboard standoff. The one to the left wasn't glued completely, and the one in front has a flat. :/ I guess the stock was too small.
    These have a little 1/64" lip on top so I can align the 2nd half and glue. My old mill can do that. -The new one? well...
    [​IMG]
    -IGNORE THE TOOTHBRUSH. I had an attempt at making the spirals, only to find the glitter weakened the strips too much. Didn't I learn that in the earlier post? :worried:
    So I've moved to plan B, which I haven't planned yet. also, Ignore the toothbrush.
    [​IMG]
    -I whipped up some mesothelioma-inducing holders to mill the reservoir. Seriously, DON'T work with MDF. The dust is nasty. The orange marks the sides I cut out parallel. I tried to cut some parts to glue these together, and found my miter saw was knocked out of true. :( I got similar results on the table saw, so I resorted to milling it.
    ...and I managed to get it glued together crooked. That's another plan B, codename: "Wing It."
    [​IMG]
    -I got one of the manifold parts started. Here I have a wacky-long 1/4" ball bit cutting channels. I bet this would be fantastic in the Taig mill, but here it was insanely loud. Note the fuzz buildup. ^Before^
    [​IMG]
    -After: The closest thing to a white Christmas Houston will ever get.
    [​IMG]
    -This is mostly cut. I need to add ports in the two slots in the top, and do you see the hole above the right channel? That needs a tunnel dug out of it. I noticed at the 11th hour I'd drawn something that would have leaked. :lol:
    One last thing I screwed up on: Remember how I said the new machine couldn't cut as accurately? This was supposed to have 1/64" O-ring retaining walls around the channels. That hella-loud vibrating bit obliterated those.
    So that's what is taking so long. I've been hit with tons of failure, and I'm beginning to question my sanity.
    All is not lost, though. Plan "Wing It" is brilliant in it's simplicity.

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

You got CNC? Impressive.