1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster Pulling A CPU And RAM Out Of Running Computer!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Malvolio, 7 Jan 2004.

1. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

all he used was a really really really big magnet.

2. bleecher

bleecher What's a Dremel?

nope, i have the shows recoreded on DVD -and it was EMP that he used -even watched it agin to check -and that removed all data stored on every chip on the machine serial numbers, ID numbers firmwares etc etc. so each component didnt know what it was for. so it operated at a real basic level -but major components couldnt communicate with each other due to them not knowing how and to what.

3. Piratetaco

did anyone read the howstuffworks link i posted? EMP induces current in metal(like in circuitry) thus over loads things rather than acting like a magnet and destroying data stored on HD etc.here again

here are some quotes from the first page.

The basic idea of an e-bomb -- or more broadly, an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) weapon -- is pretty simple. These sorts of weapons are designed to overwhelm electrical circuitry with an intense electromagnetic field.

The radio signals that transmit AM, FM, television and cell phone calls are all electromagnetic energy.

For our purposes, the most important thing to understand about electromagnetism is that electric current generates magnetic fields and changing magnetic fields can induce electric current.

How Radio Works explains that a simple radio transmitter generates a magnetic field by fluctuating electrical current in a circuit. This magnetic field, in turn, can induce an electrical current in another conductor, such as a radio receiver antenna.

A low intensity radio transmission only induces sufficient electrical current to pass on a signal to a receiver. But if you greatly increased the intensity of the signal (the magnetic field), it would induce a much larger electrical current. A big enough current would fry the semiconductor components in the radio, disintegrating it beyond repair.

The intense fluctuating magnetic field could induce a massive current in just about any other electrically conductive object -- for example phone lines, power lines and even metal pipes. These unintentional antennas would pass the current spike on to any other electrical components down the line (say, a network of computers hooked up to phone lines). A big enough surge could burn out semiconductor devices, melt wiring, fry batteries and even explode transformers.EMP does fry,melt and destroy.not just wipe data.Read the rest of the artical and you'll see.

Last edited: 27 Apr 2004
  4. Lyricc

Lyricc What's a Dremel?

5. Zidane

Zidane What's a Dremel?

oddly enough....

yes, but you dont need that much.

couple of years ago i had an old pc running (p1 or p2 methinks, very old, my big machien was brokkie, but thats another story ;) ), naked on the desk (no case, just laid the bits out on my desk). nice little black heatsink and fan. suddenly fan starts to make grinding noises and stops. it was a really hot sommer and i let it run for a while and got a major unstable machine (i had 98 on it and was running mirc, thats about it).

so, a little quick thinking later, and ghetto water cooling. take an icecube tray, one of those with the twelve little 'buckets' for putting your water in. snap it into three sections, four cubes on each. it just happens to rest nicely on top of a p2 chip with a little overhang. gives you two in the freezer re-freezing and one on the processor. as long as you dont mind changing the trays every couple of hours, it works like a charm and gives the best cooling ive ever seen :D

i ran the machine for about 5 months using the ice, and as long as you make sure the outside of the tray is dry, you are ok. did end up wth a little water on top of the chip, and a drop or two over the side, but fortunately nothing died. i still have the board, and the ice tray in the freezer, one of these days i'll dig it out and take a pic.

a word of caution for those who want to try this, it was an old pc, p1 or p2, i wouldnt try it with a modern processor ;) and *make sure* you change the ice frequently. i have my freezer turn to maximum coldness (is that low, or high?) so when i open the door 'smoke' pours out, and my ice cubes are so cold they shatter when i pur vodka onto them :thumb: .

6. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Cool :hehe:
    I should get a mini fridge/freezer and crank its temp waaaay down. That would be cool... hehe, I like puns. puns are teh funs :D

7. johnwilliams474

johnwilliams474 Banned

mmmmmmmmmmm alcohol mmmm beer

8. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Beer tastes very, well umm... not good. Every one seems to like getting drunk from it. I had about 5.5 beers in less than 45 mins and was not drunk at all. no blury vision, could think and speak as clear as I normally do, and have sobar witnesses that say that I was not drunk. I duno what all the hipe is about it. IMO, it tastes terrible, and margaritas, etc. are much better.
    Also, that cheapo 20/bottle of wine is the yuckies as well. that more expensive stuff that is like 65+ a bottle is nice though :thumb: And shampaign isn't all that bad.

9. Howitzerflagz

Howitzerflagz What's a Dremel?

jobless....

in my country a those people we call them "Ociosos" jajajajajaj

10. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Humm, I just came up with a great idea for my next distruction :D

How about: setting up my Idle Hands pc with a monitor and everything, taking and setting the hdd in front of it (between it and the camera), and set it to do a loop of some game (duke or DOOM). Then, after it's been working for a bit, drop a big magnet on it, see how long it takes to mess up. And once it starts messing up, take the magnet off and see what happens. I think it would be fun to test out this whole magnet thing. Only problem: no place to host the video :waah: I've got a memory card for my camera now, more than ample enough light, and the room, I just don't have the e-space!

11. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

its dead :confused:

12. dawgsfan1447

dawgsfan1447 What's a Dremel?

how about cuttin most of the stick off a bottle rocket, attach it over a running part, specificaly, the cpu and then lite the rocket, it'll fry the cpu then explode

13. psikoticsilver

psikoticsilver What's a Dremel?

Where's the pictures/video?

I didn't see anything, got a bad page. :waah:

14. dawgsfan1447

dawgsfan1447 What's a Dremel?

I kno, i couldn't get anything either!!!!! :eyebrow: :sigh:

15. Malvolio

Malvolio .

:read: my server (all of them actualy) went down a while ago, just before I moved, and theres no sign of any of them coming back online any time soon (stupid ADSL :grr: ) I do still have the movie/pic's though, just have to find some e-space again....

16. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Hey good ol' Malf.. whats been up lately. seen you online more often now.. either that, or I have been reading threads you have been reading.lol
    You can email me for some space if you want. email in my profile. and have a subject like BIT TECH!!! or sumthin.. that way I can separate it from teh spam that goes into my junk mail filter, as it seems I can not filter out the bit-tech emailler thingy.

17. livelife46290

livelife46290 What's a Dremel?

Is it just me or does the link not work, i might have missed a new link in the post but i dont think so, if so yell at me but, sounds cool, i wish i could see it happen though!

18. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

Some Ideas

Old mac or Intel Box + LIghterfluid or nampha + Flare Gun = Fun

Take a strip of magnesium place it between the heatsink and cpu on the core. start the comp up, and light it.

Take a couple of fireworks mortar shells, place inside case, seal case, start comp, light for fun.

Potassium and Water need i say more, or perhaps fill the case with homemade hydrogen then make it go boom.

Spinning Harddrive + Arc Welder

how about degaussing a harddrive while running a game in windows

19. Piratetaco

lcdguy.fire the flares into the case and see if the fans can cope with the extra heat.also time how long thew running comp lasts.

20. nohope4me

nohope4me What's a Dremel?

Hate to lecture on my first post, but I'll try and keep this as short as I can:

< switch mode="lecture" >
    EMP is simply a pulse or short burst of electro-magnetic radiation. There is nothing 'special' about it. An EMP will induce (set-up) electrical current in any conductors within a certain radius. It is this induction that does the damage to elctrical/electronic devices, as previously stated, by 'blowing' the device; a current is created which heats the wires by Ohmic resistance so high that they melt.

In the case of the Jeremy Clarkson experiment, it was an EMP. However, it was certainly nowhere near the power of a nuke, and I'm glad to hear it! :D Nukes are enormously powerful, mind-bogglingly so. The EMP created on the Clarkson show was extremely strong, but certainly had nowhere near the power of a nuke. Thus, the currents induced in the compuer by that pulse were low enough simply to so some damage to the CMOS chips on the mobo, which are extermely sensitive to electrical shocks, thus the whole issue with ESD precautions. Also, the metal case of the computer would have protected it to a certain degree, since that is part of its job; the case is grounded and made of metal so that any appreciable RF (radio frequency) signals created in the home (and there are a surprising number of sources of this) are induced in the case and taken to ground. where they can do no damage.
    < /mode >