1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Pulling my hair out over HDD problems on laptop

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Hoffs, 3 Jun 2009.

1. Hoffs

Hoffs Seek

I've had the laptop for just over a month now, and so I thought it would be a great idea to install Linux on it just to see what it was like. (Acer Aspire 6930g btw)

I installed it and all was well. But then when I shut down to go back to vista that's where all my problems began

I now can't boot to vista or linux as it says Grub Error 22 and then it moved onto Grub Error 17

I've been trying to find ways to fix this for a day or 2 and my laptop is just sitting on my desk being idle

I've burnt recovery disks btw and they didn't work

So I'm wondering as a last throw of the dice, can I buy a new harddrive and just take my current one out. And put this new one in.. Use recovery disks and then it should install vista for me?

Please help as I need my laptop with exams going on atm!

Thanks, Ali

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Does the hard drive still have Linux on it? Surely formatting will rid you of this problem?

Unless, of course, you managed to remove a crucial bit of software that interfaces with the BIOS, in which case you might be in real trouble.

3. Hoffs

Hoffs Seek

I am in fact running linux but I can't seem to find the Windows Partition so I think it's gone.

Luckily I've backed up recently so not all is lost. I just can't seem to boot into windows.

4. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Then I just think that your boot config is messed up.

Open a console and write this in and copypaste the file for us to see:

Code:
    sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst
    (it's "LST", not "1ST")

5. Hoffs

Hoffs Seek

update update update!

Reinstalled linux on my disk

And now i can see the boot option screen!

But when i click to boot into vista, the screen just loads a bit then reboots.

Now that i've fixed linux.. windows is playing up!