1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Punctuation and general spelling on the forums

Discussion in 'General' started by Nealieboyee, 1 May 2012.

1. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

I do regard posts that have poor spelling and grammar as with less respect as I feel that the person hasn't taken the time to do it properly.

2. Picarro

Picarro New Member

That is not an actual error. It is just American English - which is recognized as a proper way to spell by at least 300 million members of this lovely planet.

3. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

If you speak English then it should be a "S", if you speak American English then it should be a "Z".

4. Brooxy

Brooxy Like a boss (but not a boss)

My writing style is generally OK, but I’ll give my excuses - it's my proof reading that is utter cack. When I write documentation at work or blog posts I try to leave at least 24 hours between writing and proof reading where possible, which generally helps eliminate the worst issues (although some will usually remain).

However with forums, that luxury isn't really available. After 24 hours either somebody else will have made the same point or the discussion will have passed. For some reason I lack the ability to proof read straight after writing as my mind remembers what should be written; as opposed to what actually has been written.

But I agree. People that write posts like a stereotypical text message need to be shot. Mainly because 'txt lik dis' is an eyesore and will only attract the sort of clientele that writes in a similar fashion.

5. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Well-Known Member

Agreed, however I am English, the poster is English and ranting about the acceptable level of written English.

So, long story short, it's lazy, we're not American, why would we use American spellings.

6. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

I have to disagree with all this punctuation crap, it's annoying the hell out of me that so many people are throwing their dummies out of the cot. It's a forum not a novel or essay. As long as i can read it that's fine with me.

Not a fan of the "text speak" as i generally cant read it anyway but i don't go mental over it and make a rant thread about it. If grammar and punctuation are so important feel free to join an English/literature forum.

Everyone is different and has strengths, weakness, different skill sets and style.

DEAL WITH IT!

7. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Well-Known Member

:D ;)

8. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

Hit it on the head, have some rep+

9. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

I thort dey wer al pretty gud m8m8.

10. Shirty

Shirty Time travelling rogue Super Moderator

This, basically. The only time I got annoyed enough to type something was when the infamous Dwarfer had gone off on one in a SD thread and stopped paying attention to normal grammatical conventions, when I know he's perfectly capable of typing well. This detracted from the controversial point he was trying to make, and I felt he was doing himself a disservice by not typing 'proper like'.

Skitzab has already declared that he is distraught that he never learned to write properly, and I'm sure he will eventually feel the need to pursue tuition to enable him to communicate more clearly on his chosen medium. To be fair, his spelling is less annoying than his apparent inability to edit posts and take fairly obvious hints.

I draw the line at txt spk though, it's not necessary on forums where message space is essentially unlimited.

The wiki article about sentence spacing is quite interesting. Essentially, unless you are typing in a non-standard font, double-spacing after a full-stop (period) is generally deemed unnecessary.

And adam_bagpuss you now have a full rep bar - well deserved if I may say so myself ;)

11. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

A common misconception (as far as I know) - dyslexia affects an individual's ability to read and comprehend written text, not their ability to communicate effectively in written form. I have two dyslexic friends who write perfect english.

12. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

i alwys thort we all hd greet england cinse children.

13. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

I do ?

wohoooooooooo

14. Picarro

Picarro New Member

For some people it affects their ability to recognise whether a word has been written correctly and since they are dyslexic they will have trouble hearing whether the word has been spelled correctly.

15. Mongoose132

Mongoose132 Duckmad

If you're not perfect then I really don't think you can criticise. :hehe:
    It doesn't bother me at all, it's still legible, it's not like they're suddenly writing in Chinese :lol:

16. David

David Take my advice — I’m not using it.

I disagree, to a point.

It's unfair to expect perfect, grammatically correct posts from all and sundry, but it does no harm to make an effort to be understood. Different written forms should be reserved for the audience they are meant for i.e. Text speak should be confined to texting. On a public forum, where people hold proper discussions or ask for help, spewing an unformatted wall of text which is devoid of all punctuation or attempts at correct spelling is p!ss-poor and lazy.

If your request for advice is ridden with the kind of crap normally reserved for text exchanges between thirteen year old boys, don’t be surprised, and certainly don’t throw a hissy fit if it falls on deaf ears.

We all have our pet hates, but it’s hardly likely someone will be pulled up for forgetting a comma or not double spacing after a full stop. You are more likely to be challenged on the common “there, their, they’re” or “should of” mistakes, but it will largely go unnoticed; or at least uncommented, if your post is reasonably easy to understand.

In short: don’t give laziness a free ride, but don’t be a pious pr!ck either.

17. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Oink!

This is a prime example of the shocking mess that passes for spelling these days. Using punctuation or numbers in place of alpha characters is wholly unacceptable - stop !t plz m8s. :D

18. Brooxy

Brooxy Like a boss (but not a boss)

Before giving a lower level of respect, do you first check the location of the poster?

You could be the best writer in the world and somebody would think that your writing is poor. Everyone has a different writing style and everyone will have somebody that dislikes that style.

Different writing styles are a good thing IMHO. It allows for variation - if everyone had the same style, it would almost be like everyone speaking in the same monotone voice.

19. David

David Take my advice — I’m not using it.

Tw@t!

;) :hehe:

20. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Oink!

HAHHAHAHAHAHA Kudos :D

Tags: