1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Putting back popular old maps on the cycle

Discussion in 'Game Server' started by Ahleckz, 3 Dec 2010.

1. Ahleckz

Ahleckz What's a Dremel?

Howdy,

Just wondering if there are any plans to put on maps that used to be on the server which were popular back onto the current mapcycle. I'm predominately speaking about cs_kismayo (or de_kisymao, both are great) and de_nightfever. Both were popular before the server was changed and I see no reason why they shouldn't be on now. I don't imagine it would be very hard to put these back on the cycle and wouldn't cause any offence as they are well known and popular maps amongst the regulars.

I understand through discussion on the server tonight that Dutch is hoping to get them on the votelist, but this is hardly ever used nowadays and whilst it is better than not having them at all there are few people who wouldn't like to see the return of these two great maps.

I know Kyser will back me up on the reinstatement of kismayo!

Just realized that the topic makes me sound like a right 'tard...
    Cheers.
    Ahleckz.

2. Kyser Soze

Kyser Soze played by Kevin Spacey

I'll surprise nobody by saying that's a splendid idea that's certainly worth pursuing, at least as some sort of terrific christmas bonus. The kismayo with the hostages is my favourite but they're both good. Ditto nightfever, deltamill and so forth. However the rare few who dislike those maps seem to *really* hate them with a mania bordering on psychosis, so perhaps just one at a time in the rotation might gain more favour.

On a related topic, the map selection is pretty damn fine at the moment - there's not much chaff.

Your pal,

Kyser

3. Tuned#F_A_F

Tuned#F_A_F What's a Dremel?

cpl_mill would also be a nice choice. Plus I'm still evangelising for dust_pcg....but everyone else seems to dislike it :|

4. Kyser Soze

Kyser Soze played by Kevin Spacey

Both those are perfectly good maps. I can't believe many actively dislike them. For most casual cpc visitors perhaps the issue is whether they have the maps installed on their machines already.

As internet speeds slowly climb year on year less and less players are seriously inconvenienced by map loading - but many may shy away from servers running cs_something_odd. People who do hate map_x or map_y will often post when a discussion like this comes up whereas most other people won't bother. It skews the argument in a disproportionate manner when the haters turn up. With their hate.

5. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

They need to put a voting system on the server. I've asked them to consider it. Ages ago. At least that way if the players DON'T want piranesi or Port or any other niche map late in the night when tiredness or irritability is creeping in then the players get to choose, and the server might pick up again.

6. fu manchu

fu manchu I'll have the special.

We had voting, people abused it, did absolutely nothing for the server apart from making people leave. Besides, most players just press 1 to get rid of the vote, nextmap gets voted straight away. An end of round random vote will fail also as MPUK have give or take 1000 maps on the server, most of which are crap.

As for putting more customs back, I think we have added a couple already, anymore and we venture into having too many maps in the cycle, most of which wont get played in an evening. We could think about shortening timelimit to get through the maps quicker and therefore allow more to be added, I really dont want to take out any more standards as it is the standards that bring people in for the most part.

So, the ideal scenario is going to be a short enough mapcycle that all/most maps will be played in the evening, with standards to keep the majority happy and bring in new players. Throw in a few (good) customs to satisfy those players that enjoy them. Feel free to pm me any mapcycles that meet the criteria and keep everyone happy. Good luck with that.

7. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

I hear what you say fu, but until you stop forcing people to play port, piranesi, militia, prodigy etc when they aren't in the mood then the server won't pick up again. I love all the maps except compound and assault (vanilla, other versions are more balanced) and generally won't leave until the server starts to empty. I join 32 player servers to play with 31 other players hence why I have moved-on.

You need to give the gamers the choice. port, prodigy, compound, assault, militia and others are fine when the rest of the server are int he mood for them but otherwise it just helps to empty the server.

But hey, I'm sure you guys are on the case to get the server busy again.

Peak-time Friday night there were 15 players in there when i checked at 9:30 to 10pm.

8. fu manchu

Im not sure it is possible to have a mapcycle that will suit every players mood all of the time, infact I know it is an impossibility.

As for player numbers, I think that has more to do with newer games and big releases having an impact rather than the maps on the CS:S server. This is backed up by what I see in my Steam friends list, its always happens with a release such as BLOPS, players stop playing CS:S for a month or so until the novelty of the newest games wear off and they come back to the old faithful.

Plus we are in party season, so all those weirdos that have a social life are out on a weekend ;)

As I mentioned in previous reply, if anyone has a magic mapcycle that will satisfy every players mood, all of the time, then let us know. Dont mean to sound arsey over it but these mapcycle discussions come up all the time and there really isnt a way to please everyone.

9. Tuned#Stu

Tuned#Stu Rage Machine

Well I was thinking about a 2 weekly (or more likely monthly) Map cycle change.

With a core number (50% approx, maybe 75%) of maps (preferable balanced ones) that never leave rotation and then the other maps (25%-50%) get changed every so often. So for example de_prodigy, de_port and cs_havana making way for de_villa, de_season, and de_contra.

By new maps I am talking quality custom maps of the caliber de_villa, de_cpl_fire, de_season, de_lost_temple_pro, etc that require some sort of team work. Not de_dollshouse for example which is fun occasionally but not week in week out.

This way regulars get to experience new maps and stops us playing the same maps over and over and over again.

10. Ahleckz

Ahleckz What's a Dremel?

As for having to many maps if we put kismayo/nightfever back on then in essence we are only returning it to as it was pre IP change. Also, with the removal of dust there is in theory a 'space' for one extra map. I'm not aware of any maps that are on the server now that weren't there before the IP change.

11. fu manchu

I am thinking along the same lines Stu. But then we have 2 cycles to keep balanced and try and please people. And you just know when we run cycle B people will be whining and asking for cycle A. That said, it is certainly something to think about. It is quite complex organising a mapcycle, once you decide on maps to include, you then have to pick an order that will flow and not be boring.

Of all the tasks that are a part of runnning a CS:S server I think mapcycle causes the biggest ballache. Be handy if people can post maps that they know to be as balanced as possible and capable of running 32 slots, then I can think about creating a couple of profiles in Clanforge that can be switched over fortnightly or whatever timeframe works.

12. Tuned#Stu

Tuned#Stu Rage Machine

Yep I can do that Fu, I'll draw up a little list, never going to please everyone but changing the map cycle every month or so even if its just replacing 1 or 2 maps to start with.

Trouble is balanced maps always assume both teams are playing as teams :p

13. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

How did Compound arrive on the server and last in the cycle so long? It's one of the worst maps for unbalanced gaming the world has ever known. But I guess one person suggested it, another person liked it - then the server players had it thrust on them and told to enjoy it. No matter how many complaints I witnessed or people left the server it remained for what seemed like forever. Even Dust would have won against Compound in a map vote and at least people would have had that choice!

14. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

sounds very similar to the ukcs, guest map of the week that we have, with a nice automated system that means the admins dont have to do too much :)

15. fu manchu

Compound is there as it is a standard map, after the big CS:S update we returned to a standard mapcycle, partly because we didnt know what customs would work or not, partly because of the new map stats included in the update but mainly because very few servers were offering standard mapcycle. It was better than jumping on the D2/Office/Italy 24/7 bandwagon.

With the campaign to remove Assault, one of the worries is that once Assault had been removed, then people want Compound taken off, then Port, then Havana and so on. Before you know it we are down to Dust 2 24/7.

Fair enough if you dont like Compound, along with others, but there are players that do like it. As with a lot of these, shall we say, less favoured maps, its not the maps that spoil the mood, it is the players attitude that spoils it. Obviously we want a populated server but at the same time I would rather have 20 players that enjoy the game and have some teamplay going on, than have a full 32 where a handful of players spoil it for the rest simply because they dont like or are not in the mood for a particualr map. We are not forcing anyone to play, if you dont like a map have a break for 20 mins.

That said (for the god knows how many times) I will create some different profiles to mix up the maps a bit, probably switch the cycle every fortnight, maybe monthly. Any map suggestions welcome but bear in mind the standard maps will not be removed, and the ones that have been may well return.

Here is a list of most of the maps available on the server, there are about 1394 maps but most are crap, unusable or for a particualr gamemod.

16. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

Ok fu, shout me when you see sense and give the choice to the gamers. I don't mean that disrespectfully, i used to love playing against you on maps like Twilight, its just I don't agree with the forced map rotation policy - it only worked when you had the bog-standard maps at peak times. Each to there own! Strange how the most popular servers on my server list are map vote servers and the least is ... my old fave haunt CPC :waah:

17. fu manchu

:sigh: :duh::rolleyes::wallbash:

Words fail me.

18. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

I eat my words. Friday peak time I checked and it looked dire, I just checked again and you got 32 players playing piranesi!

19. Major D

Major D What's a Dremel?

We haven't played Compound for ages...months even. The biggest problem is still getting people to think about how they play a map. Prime example, and I'm repeating myself here, is port, the other night CT were getting smashed as at least a third of the team were disappearing into the tunnels every map..there is no bombsite down in the tunnels!! Sitting down there will cost you the round. And then they leave en masse because they are getting beat....

20. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder