1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PVR resources

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bursar, 4 Mar 2003.

1. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

Reading the log for Zaps Media PC has whetted my appetite, but this isn't an area of the PC arena that I'm overly familiar with.

I'm pretty sure what I need from a hardware point of view, but are there any decent websites that deal with hooking up TVs, speakers, and getting everything work properly? Hopefully there's a few reviews of the various different bits of software you can use to record TV programs about as well.

TIA :)

2. Hitman

Hitman Minimodder

Ive been looking into building one myself for months now. Done loads of searching on the net.

Here's an article explaining how someone built one.

3. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

I'm reasonably set on the hardware front (just need to buy some of it), I was more after some of the intracies of getting the system physically hooked up with the minimum amount of pain.

Basically, I have the following requirements.

1. Hook PC to TV, and be able to switch between watching TV or using the PC.
    2. With a tuner card in the PC, I want to be able to record TV shows from that card to the hard disk.
    3. I want to be able to watch those shows on the TV (as well as watch DVDs played on the PC).
    4. All audio must be done through the TVs 5.1 speaker setup.

I think that's about it. Other bits such as playing CDs, or burning shows to DVD should slot into place once the 4 key issues are dealt with.

I also thought about the possibility of having a 5" LCD screen in the case, so I can mess with the PC and setup the recording of programs without having to interrupt any programs that may be showing on the TV. This won't be a major requirement though. Just one of those nice-to-have things.

4. Hitman

Hitman Minimodder

From what you have said, all what you want to do is pretty simple. All of the hardware you get will have the connections and leads.

5. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

In that case I may well just hook a few things up and give it a go :)

Edit: Still interested in reading comparissons between the different bits of software that are around though. ShowShifter seems to get all the press, but there must be plenty of other stuff around.

Did you happen to find any such reviews on your travels?

6. Hitman

Hitman Minimodder

Here's a very usefull HTPC FAQ.

If you look through it, there are allot of usefull links about loads of stuff relating to HTPC's and PVR's.

About half way down is "Software- PVR Personal Video Recorder [Tivo VCR]" links.

7. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

Cheers. I'll take a look.