1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Q6700 to i5 upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ainz, 7 Apr 2011.

1. Ainz

Ainz What's a Dremel?

Hi all. I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on whether i should upgrade my cpu or not.

I currently have a q6700 OC'd to 3.3ghz, with 4gb ddr3 (its the striker ii extreme mobo) and a 5870. My monitor runs at 1900 x 1200.

I've always liked having a rig that can deal with pretty much anything gaming wise, but i dont play strategy games really. Mainly just FPS's. Anyway, i am getting upgraditus and am pondering selling my mobo, and cpu (possibly ram too as i am not sure if it is correct voltage wise for a new rig). I'd probably get an i5 2500k, and mobo (and possibly ram). I know scan have a bundle that is about 400 quid after VAT that gives you one of these babies at 4.5ghz, with 4gb ram, and a decent Mobo (linky http://www.scan.co.uk/3xs-overclocked-bundles ).

My question is how much this will be worth my while. I do love getting new kit and on another forum many folk have rightly pointed out how much better the i5 is compared to my current rig. But given that i mainly play FPS's, i dont know of many games other than say crysis, which need a decent cpu.

Any advice or thougths appreciated.

2. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/53?vs=288

this says it all although at stock speeds so it not gunna be exactly the same.

your looking around 50% increase in FPS but if your frames are already playable i.e. 30+ minimum or Hardcore ultra pwn noob FPS player 60+

then in reality you will see little benefit in games as it will still be smooth with either CPU.

if your struggling on some games then it turns unplayable into playable so that is worth it.

3. Ainz

Ainz What's a Dremel?

Thanks Adam - i think this is what i am struggling with. The i5 hammers a q6700 in that chart but the issue i have is how many games currently need a new gen cpu in the sense that avg / min framerates are unplayable without one. I know crysis can get pretty hairy with lots going on and strategy games.

Another way of putting it is - is my 5870 not getting to properly test itself in as much as it cant get max framerates with my cpu, vs is it bottlenecked in the sense that my cpu limits it to unplayable framrates?

4. carpetmonster

carpetmonster What's a Dremel?

The Sandy Bridge upgrade coupled with an SSD if you don't have one would make your system quicker in almost everything.

5. Ainz

Ainz What's a Dremel?

I realise its a vastly better cpu and hence would speed things up - my question is whether my current cpu is adequate for gaming using mainly fps's. The crucial question i guess is what it offers in terms of minimum and avg framerates. I certainly cant's stretch to sn ssd - an upgrade would probably require cpu, mobo, ram and cooler.

6. sonicgroove

sonicgroove Radical Atheist

for what you need, i.e cpu and mobo, you can do it under 300 quid. you don't need ram, you already have it. the included cooler is fine for overclocks up to about 4.6GHz. A cpu is around 150 and a board, no more than 120.

to be honest, it sounds to me like you don't need to upgrade yet. all the games you play are fine on the existing setup, you probably have some overclocking headroom left on the GFX and CPU too. Use what you have and go for the Ivy Bridge stuff later this year.

Also, why on earth would you pay a premium for a pre overclocked bundle??? The SB chips are simplicity itself to OC. Use the included AISuite if you don't fancy delving into the UEFI

Last edited: 7 Apr 2011
  7. Ainz

Ainz What's a Dremel?

Thanks sonic. Re the bundle, i'll be honest its not something i have researched much. It just looked like an easy, lazy option and according to the site the OC is free as you pay the same price for the cpu at stock in this bundle. In fact i also spot in your profile that you have the titan fenrir which i have - i thought i needed a new cooler as i thought i'd read somewhere that it wasnt so good for SB, but i am clearly wrong?

Re Ram, again i havent really looked into it much but i thought you needed ram that ran at a certain voltage for i5's. I cant recall what mine is but it would be great to just keep it - its only 1333mhz but i am fine with that (though dont know how that might affect an OC?).

Basically I am TRYING to be sensible. I often get upgraditus then realise that much as it feels great to have a newer rig, i sometimes feel a bit flat when the dust has settled and think my money might have been better saved or spent elsewhere. However its a bit confusing in some respects, hence the thread. For example i have seen 2 crysis 2 cpu performance charts one of which seems to imply you need a modern (i.e. SB) 4 core cpu, and another implying that most quads are fine for it.

i like your idea of waiting for Ivy Bridge. I guess it may be a lot faster and potentially bring down current SB prices too when its released?