1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors QC 3.0 USB sockets

Discussion in 'General' started by CrapBag, 7 Aug 2018.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I converted both of my cigar ligther sockets ove to dual USB a few years back as I was fed up with crappy adaptors that fall out or break and that I had to keep different chargers in the car.

I now see they do QC 3.0 ones, has anyone fitted these and do they work as QC 3.0 should?

Amazon

Cheaper version on ebay

Do they mess with the cars electronics at all?

2. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I.. Have not seen these. I've got the Amazon one in my cart. I'll find out in the back end of August, if you can wait that long!

FWIW: I replaced my cigarette lighter with a chinese USB dual socket/volt meter thing and I've not had issues yet - About two years after the fact. I lopped the cigarette lighter connection off, and put the appropriate female spade connectors on.

3. liratheal

Fitted it, and nothing appears iffy so far.

It appears to charge the way I'd expect QC to - But I didn't sit in the car for ages, so that might be why. The Amazon one comes with an inline glass fuse, which is nice. Seems pretty good build wise, and as a bonus (for me) the volt reading is red. So it at least matches the rest of my dials and gauges.

4. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Dumb question here:
    Is this a drop-in replacement for a 12v port (i.e. old cig lighters)? I would prefer not cutting holes into my 86.

5. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Yeh they are dropping in, and do up with a big nut on the back, I had to make some fly leads to connect up though as the connections are different.

Thanks for the heads up lihatheral I'll grab one when I have some spare cash

liratheal likes this.
  6. liratheal

They are pretty much. I have mine in the cigarette lighter space on my RS - Like CrapBag says, it's like a big nut and bolt. I modified my connections, because the cigarette lighter terminals were differently oriented, but yeah. Pretty much just stab it in, like this;

[​IMG]

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Now, logically, I understand what the "12.2V" is actually reading, but there's still a part of me that would be nervous about plugging my 5V USB devices in there.

8. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

I've ordered one too. Currently using a pretty decent Anker charger but doesn't support the Qualcomm quick charge thing. My car doesn't even have an ashtray so no loss to me losing the lighter socket.

9. liratheal

When the car's running and the alternator is doing its job, it reads 14.4! Just to make you that little bit more uncomfortable!

10. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

And just like that, one magically appeared in my Amazon basket... thanks, guys!