1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Quad-SLI gone mad..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Han$en, 4 Apr 2009.

1. Han$en

Han$en Skulltrail!

Hey..

I got some big issues with my Quad-SLI setup.. :wacko:

My setup is the one in my signature.

All is watercooled, så heat is not the problem..

I'm running Forceware 182.50 directly from Nvidia, i've also tried the 185.65 Beta with no luck..

Well, my scores in 3D Mark Vantage looks lige this:

With Quad-SLI enabled:

[​IMG]

With Quad-SLI disabled:

[​IMG]

Am i completely stupid, or should'nt my score be better with Quad-SLI enabled? :ermm: :argh:

In 3DMark06 i get:

12743 with Quad-SLI enabled
    18133 with Quad-SLI disabled

I'm about to jump over the edge.. Any suggestions?

2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

sorry there's a guy in nvidia's marketing department laughing that they got another one.. unless your a folder, quad on the 9800gx2, has issues.. that card was basically a stop gap to try and look like they knew what they are doing before the 200's came along.. it's good for computational work though- gaming, it suffers from microstuttering.. try vantage on vista 64 if you want to see that craptacular marketing scheme work.. your probably on xp, and if you are, you've got a brick sitting in the second pcie slot

3. Han$en

Han$en Skulltrail!

Nope, i'm on Vista x64 - And the results ARE vantage :)

But i can't agree with you - I know that others have way better scores with a pair of 9800GX2's than me

4. thehippoz

maybe try another sli bridge.. it should work.. you might want to dual boot vista 32 and see if you get the same results- you can narrow it down to the hardware

hope it helps

5. Slaymate

Slaymate bit-tech Slayer

Post some screenshots of GPU-Z running

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

A 2.4GHz CPU?

Bottleneck city perhaps.

EDIT: HA FB-Dimms - there's your problem. Do an Everest and look at your write bandwidth, it will be TERRIBLE: slower than any normal DDR2 system.

You've got all that high-end kit and basically a massive bottleneck on your FSB and memory. Even a single quad core with DDR2-1066 would give you better results. :(

7. Han$en

Han$en Skulltrail!

Here you go:

[​IMG]

8. Han$en

Han$en Skulltrail!

I have 2x 2.5Ghz Quad-Cores :)

Well, my FB-Dimm is not the problem - My scores looked way better with my 8800GTS G92 SLI setup :waah:

9. thehippoz

only thing I can think of (I would think you'd already done this but maybe not).. get driver sweeper off of guru3d's site- uninstall the driver you have now in the device manager- check to uninstall all files when it asks

reboot into safe mode, run driver sweeper.. restart and re-install the driver

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yea I'm pretty sure it is - SLI overhead + driver optimisations on a niche configuration.

11. DorkSterr

DorkSterr Hakuna Matata

Try Ocing your CPU to 3.0GHz.

12. Slaymate

Slaymate bit-tech Slayer

Looking at your GPU-Z screens it says your gpu temp is 66C and your watercooling? You need to check your setup as that is to hot. What does GPU-Z say your temps are on each gpu? Are they all running in the 60's at an idle? I think one of your cards is overheating and loading the video system down. I had the same thing happen with my old 7950GX2 quad sli setup a few years back.

13. Han$en

Han$en Skulltrail!

They are on aircooling today - Took all my watercooling out this morning, to do some adjustments.. I'm in a progress with a TJ07 :)

They are running at about 47c Load on water :)

14. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

I think Bindi's got a point; I know you probably researched the hell out of FB-DIMMs and all that before you sunk Liberia's national deficit into your comp, but looky here: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3216&p=10&cp=2. AnandTech reckon that the average Skulltrail would be choked by its GPU before its CPU or memory:

The sheer might of your GPUs might mean you're shining a spotlight on the weakness of Skulltrail, which is those literally prehistoric DIMMs. Of course, I could well be wrong...

15. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

I have not been able to actually mess with a Skulltrail, just get very close to one in person.
    I brought up memory performance and I was told there the memory bus should be tweakable and help improve performance. I should have made the owner of the board show me, but I have no evidence.

For the server boards, I know they did not push the RAM. There were thermal and stability reasons for this. I would hope that the situation is different for enthusiast workstation stuff.