1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Qualcomm, Microsoft announce Windows 10 on ARM

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 8 Dec 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

So many unanswered questions relating to performance and impact on battery life compared to UWP compiled apps, but as long as MS don't abandon it in two years - this is a good thing.

I'd imagine that some API calls and coding techniques will take a massive performance hit when under emulation, time will tell. I wonder if it's all emulation, or if there'll be some Rosetta style API translations going on as well. I suspect not.

BTW, you say "Technical details of how the system will work have not yet been released, but the secret likely lies in emulation" but then you link to a video of MS saying they are using emulation.

Last edited: 8 Dec 2016
  3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Sorry, fingers ahead of brain there - I shouldn't have "likely" in that sentence. I'll go edit it, ta!

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

As many said at the time, this is what Windows RT should've been, and had it been it may not have bombed as hard as it did [it probably still would have... because Microsoft]...