1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quantum HDDs SUCK ARSE!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by monkey_lova, 8 Jan 2002.

1. monkey_lova

monkey_lova What's a Dremel?

Okay,

May the person who made me buy this POS tin can fry in "iMAC Hell":mad: :( . This is unbelievable........I got this Quantum Bigfoot AS only 4 months ago and its already giving me trouble....

A Warning to everyone [ if i am not the only person who was stupid enough to buy into this like a SUCKER :mad: ]

[pats himself on the back] :( :( :(

2. Tim S

Tim S OG

I have one too, but I only use it for backing up stuff, as its fairly ok at doing that.... only just though! :rolleyes:

Ive got 2 IBM Deathstars on top of that... so you could say my hard drive array is one of the best :D :rofl:

Cheers,

BiGGiE

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

no way - quantums RULE!! Harddisks ive owned:

6gig Quantum Bigfoot 5.25" series - NEVER had a problem in 4 years of use! still running it now :) works with everything you throw at it.

12gig Fujitsu - motor died, couldnt get an RMA as it was 12months and 2 weeks old - very pissed off.

2x Quantum Fireball AS 20gig - superb drives, not the quietest but for £60 each its as fast and more reliable then an IBM :)

Maxtor own quantum now, so if quantum drives suck, so do maxtor! :eek:

4. Tim S

Tim S OG

My Quantum, I got it errrr just over 16 months ago (I think), and one of the platters died just after 12 months.... nice.... lost about 5 gigs of space, if I partitioned round the bad platter.... I havent bothered, as I do not need the extra 5 or 6 gigs that are on the end of the drive.

5. RTT

RTT #parp

ive gotta pimp Seagate :D

kick ass drives :cool:

6. SonicSilicon

SonicSilicon What's a Dremel?

Bindi, you are one insanely lucky person. Every Quantum Bogfoot I've ever encountered bit it, 3 out of 4 of them within 12 months. I would never recommend a Bigfoot to anyone, ever. Personally I'm surprised they still make them. Too many people blaming data errors on MS? (Yes, it happens, but MS should be better with fault tolerenace.)

Quantum's Fireballs, however, are quite nice. I've never had one, but I've never heard the slightest complaint from anyone that I know has one.

Personally I go with Fujitsu and Western Digital Caviars. Ne're a hiccup. Then again, nearly any CompUSA drive is a safe bet (typically renamed Fireballs or Caviars.)

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

they dont still make them - its 4 or 5 years old and im using it now :D:D only 1 bad cluster from when i dropped it once! :)

its as slow as old boots though, as it isnt DMA only EIDE :(

8. brianpodskalny

brianpodskalny ladies night!

i love my quantum fireball. very nice HD, never any trouble. wish i could say that for my mobo. hey, anyone ever take apart old HDs? i have a few 8 mb ones in old 286s at school and we took out the platters and whipped them at each other all week. broke a window and some cheap plastic desk thing. those platters really hurt too! hit in the head, made me see stars.

9. monkey_lova

monkey_lova What's a Dremel?

Wellz....

I dunno what spooked mine, but hell it aint acting like it used to.....anyways i traded it back for a completely new one....seems ok so far no problems with this baby.

Yes i do agree for the $$$ they cost you are getting a good deal in speed and quality, maybe i should stop screwing around with them and all those wierd accurances will stop :D