1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Quantum Mechanics

Discussion in 'General' started by VipersGratitude, 9 Mar 2011.

1. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

After a failed attempt to explain quantum mechanics to a friend I resorted to youtube...
    Found this, which is one of the most accessible introductions I've seen.
    Thought some of you might also be interested...

More vids at the guy's youtube channel and the Cassiopeia Project

2. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

haha, prepare to have a butt load of fun with this if you're explaining it to those who aren't bothered.

I sat in a pub with about forty friends before having this HUGE discussion about Hawkins Radiation and various bits and bobs about quantum mechanics in computing, by christ about 35 people sat there with their heads breaking down at the molecular level.

3. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

Cool, nice find, I'll check these out tonight! I'm absolutely fascinated by Quantum Mechanics/Physics, though I know very little about it. Was never that good at science at school, but as I've got older my interest has definitely grown.

Yeah, I have next to no tolerance for people like that, or those that call me boring for showing even the slightest interest in these things. I obviously don't work with like-minded individuals at work. That's why I come to Bit-Tech! :thumb:

4. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

The same mate, you get alot of people these days who don't bother to think "I wonder why x, y or z happens". It's fairly depressing and actually sitting down with a mate of mine who's studied Nanotechnology and knows a BUTT-TONNE of physics-like subjects some of the things in this universe amaze me.

However, it's not a tool to throw round to make yourself look intellegent. Never a good thing ha

5. omicron

omicron Baud.

There's a time and a place for everything; if you're around people who aren't interested in science or whatever, rabbiting on about the latest scientific buzz words you picked up from wherever is bound to bore them, in the same way that I get bored when someone talks football with me.
    If you have no tolerance for people who don't have the same interests as you, your circle of friends must be very small.

Anyway, The New Quantum Universe is an excellent book for introducing people to quantum mechanics. I always find TV science a little boring; something about the "awestruck" music and the constant "amazing", "breathtaking" and "wondrous" voice-overs that just turns me right off. Same reason I can't watch Attenborough.

PS. how the arrse do you fit 40 friends in a pub?

6. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

haha, believe me it's possible to get around 140 of my friends in a pub... it's a squeeze and bar's generally run out of beer in about three hours, but it's possible!

7. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Oh God...my head will explode if I try to watch these.

I know roughly what quantum mechanics entails - I just can't accept it.

[​IMG]

8. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

I havent got 40 friends to explain things to and the few friends I do actually have wouldnt step foot in my local .. which is a bonus come round buying time.
    I tried explaining the offside rule to the g/f once but got fed up with the yawning and the blank stare.. she at least put out that night to shut me up.

9. omicron

omicron Baud.

Christmas must be a nightmare for you.