1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Quarb Phantom, 29 July, "the beginning"

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by N.A.N.O., 29 Jul 2007.

1. N.A.N.O.

N.A.N.O. What's a Dremel?

Hy Dudes!!

This is my first casemod project, this project is quit a while in my head. In my vacation I did some real thinking about how to do it and what I want and what I don't want. I'm not gonna make a hyper watercooled system with much overclock opporunity, but it wil be a bad-ass good system with a lot good hardware. My casemod is not al about the inside and the good hardware. My casemod has to be a mix between art and a good sytem. I made a lot of sketches and I have a lot of good ideas.
    I want to make my case in several stages, these are:
    1. The basic case
    2. cutting all the neccesary
    3. playing with acrylic
    4. installing fans and other electronics
    5. de-assembling
    6. polishing
    7. painting
    8. re-assembling
    9. installing hardware
    10. finishing touches
    It's quit a list and but when you want it good you have to put a lot of time in it.

In my next posts I will give you some pictures and with a short explanation.

Enjoy my modding

[​IMG]
    This is the basic shape, al the hardware and electronics are not visible

2. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre <b>banned</b>

What are those legs made of? How are they attached to the chassis?

Cause I can see two things wrong with that design already. THe first is that the legs are pointed at the bottom. Thats not good, because they'll crumple easily at the ends unless you use super strong metal. Make the bottoms of the legs flat, not pointed. Make the flat area wide enough to put on some rubber feet too, because if you dont you'll scratch up floors.

Second, those struts look WAY too thin to hold the weight of a PC. Make them thicker, or make them out of something incredibly strong. And how on earth are you going to attach the struts to the corner of the box like that?

3. SPQQKY

SPQQKY Evil Modder

The struts should be easy. A decent metal tube will do the trick. I've seen four 3/4 inch metal tubes with rebar through them hold up 400lb reels of pressure hose on them. Not a nice way to start this guys project log by bashing his design. He already said it was a BASIC SHAPE. I'm sure he'll make some changes along the way. Most scratch builds change as they go along.

4. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre <b>banned</b>

I wasn't bashing actually.

5. Dean MF

Dean MF PC Freak!

I actually like the design. I am sure you'll figure it out along the way how to attach the feet to the case. I am sure some metal square tubing would hold it up too mate.

I agree with the bottom of the feet though, you dont wanna go scratch up your table with those sharp points - is it possible for you to make the bottom flat? And then you can just place a piece of rubber underneath each one.

But - yeah - I really like the design. I cant wait for you to start. Any idea with what material you gonna build the chassis itself?

6. Mactyrant

Mactyrant Money, what's money?

Looks nice. I'm looking froward to seeing this one. One question though, is that box on top for a cd drive or something?

7. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I'd be more worried about getting wounded reaching for a cd or something.
    -well, an eye patch would be a good accessory for a gamer...

8. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

for the bottom "pegs" use those stands made for speaker spikes. no scratching of tables etc. and a 1/4" tube can take quite a lot of punishment.. question is how they are attatched. maybe use 1/4" or 3/8" alu rods drilled and threaded.

9. Dira

Dira What's a Dremel?

It will be high pressure on a small area with those feets ;) But go for it :)

As Spaceraver said go for speaker spikes!

[​IMG]

10. N.A.N.O.

N.A.N.O. What's a Dremel?

Don't worry about the legs I find it out,
    @ Dean MF: The legs will be flat below and they will be attached with a copper tube.
    But I'm not sure about what materials I should use for the legs.

@ Mactyrant: Yes, that's for the DVD player

BTW my real project log is the another posted by N.A.N.O.
    I made a little mistake by uploading the thread.