1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Question about 9V and AA batteries!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by bajastx, 21 Mar 2007.

1. bajastx

bajastx What's a Dremel?

Hi Guys,

First off... this isn't really a computer related question. Years ago I was into modding pretty heavily, but haven't been active in the forums in a while. I have a question about what batteries to use for some paintball equipment and I'm asking my question here because most paintball players aren't too electronically savy.

Now my question:

I'm wondering what would be a better battery replacement for the loader on my paintball gun. Paintball loaders are "on demand" devices... they're usually turned on/off about 15 times in a day each time for about 5-20 minutes. I don't have the specs on the motor in the loader, but they're designed to run on six AA batteries in series.

I want to replace my six AA batteries with two 9V batteries (in parallel). The batteries I'm considering are 9V rechargeable NiMH Powerex brand, but their specs vary slightly:

1) 9.6V (actual) 230mAh
    2) 8.4V (actual) 300mAh

Which of these two batteries would be better for my application? Also, feel free to make any recomendations.

2. bajastx

bajastx What's a Dremel?

Wow... my signature is pretty outdated too. All that stuff's been gone for a while.

3. Stonewall78

Stonewall78 What's a Dremel?

Well since Energizer Ni-mh are 2300mAh each you are going to have way more longevity out of a AA battery then that then a 9V battery.

4. bajastx

bajastx What's a Dremel?

Weight is the primary reason for this mod.

5. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk What's a Dremel?

what's inside the loader? is it just a simple mechanical on/off for the motor?

or is their an ASIC inside telling it what to do, when?

/and since when the fark did 9v batteries stop being 9v?
    //wth...

6. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Rechargeable batteries are never the voltage they should be, for instance, rechargeable AA's are 1.2v instead of 1.5v. Regular AA's are still 1.5 tho as usual.

7. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

PP3 batteries have very very low capacity compared to AAs andnd so they i think you would probably be disappointed with the battery life of your loader. Also the internal resistance will be much higher so they might not even be able to supply enough power.

Why do you want rid of the AAs?

Moriquendi

8. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

"Weight is the primary reason for this mod", Moriquendi. :read:

You could compromise on AAA, capacities 800-970mAh or more which is a fair bit better than a pair of PP3. If your gun currently works OK with six rechargeable AA it's working OK on 7.2V - no need for 9.6V.

9. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

I did read the thread, atleast i thought i had :blush: braindead moment :blush:

Moriquendi

10. bajastx

bajastx What's a Dremel?

The hopper and the gun are two separate units... both battery powered, but I'm only concerned with replacing the batteries in the hopper.

Note:
    1) The gun uses optical sensors, so it will only cycle (attempt to fire a paintball) when the sensors see a paintball properly located in the breech.
    2) The hopper uses a sound sensor. Every time the hopper "hears" the gun fire, it turns the motor on to feed a paintball.

Keep in mind that the gun is capable of shooting over 30 paintballs per second, but the gun will only fire or attempt to fire as fast as the hopper can feed the paintballs into the gun.

I tried replacing the six alkaline AA batteries (9v/1.5v ea.) with rechargeable NiMH AA batteries (7.2v/1.2v ea.) and the gun shot significantly slower even if I used them right off the charger. I suspect it was because of the lower voltage output; the hopper could not feed the balls into the gun fast enough.

Also, it's not just as simple as the hopper turning on and off. There are detents in the gun that prevent more than one paintball from being fed into the breech, but if the hopper feeds the paintballs in with too much force it will cause more than one ball to feed into the gun's breech/barrel. To stop this from happening, the hopper has a load sensor to sense a increase in current if the hopper is trying to feed the balls past the detents in the gun.

One reason I want to convert to 9v batteries is for weight, but another reason is convenience; the gun uses a single 9v battery, so if I convert the hopper to 9v then everything would use the same batteries.

Last edited: 23 Mar 2007