1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Question about DIY Molex Power Splitter

Discussion in 'Modding' started by WhatTheTech, 13 Jan 2013.

1. WhatTheTech

WhatTheTech Macmodder Addict

A quick question - I apologize if this has already been posted but I went through a few pages of search and the sticky and couldn't find it. My question is in regards to molex power.

The splitters that I see usually have two cables going from one molex female/male connector into two other connectors, like this:

[​IMG]

Is there any reason why you shouldn't have only one cable going into each pin on the single connector, which is then split further up, such as I have shown on the 12V line below?

[​IMG]

I didn't know whether the commercial splitters were done that way because crimping is preferable to soldering in terms of production rate, or whether two devices might be too much on a single 18-gauge wire.

Thanks for any help in advance!

WTT

2. Fredcompany

Fredcompany Sir, your PC just bit me.

I'd have thought that if the pins can handle the current, the wire can. The reason they do it the way they do is because crimping is faster and easier than soldering, and has less of a chance of going wrong. Obviously none of those are really a problem for modders, so you should be able to go ahead and do it.

3. WhatTheTech

WhatTheTech Macmodder Addict

Fredcompany, thanks for your response! I figured it was a convenience thing and since I am sleeving things it's actually more convenient for me to have less wires! I'll give it a shot and update with my findings for anyone else who may search. Thanks again!