1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Question about Large Monitors (26" +)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vaderag, 11 Mar 2008.

1. vaderag

vaderag I know what a Dremel is...

I've been looking at getting a larger monitor for both PC and Gaming use (Wii imput), and the ViewSonic VX2835wm seems too well priced to be true. The reviews seem average, and you get what you pay for (although on the good side of this).

My question is more to do with Large monitors in general tho. All 26-28" monitors seem to have the same native resolution as the 24" varieties. I'm guessing this means that the pixel density must be lower?
    In this case, when viewing close up (i.e. word processing/surfing etc) do you see gaps between the pixels (i.e. like when looking at a tv close up?) or will it appear blocky (bigger pixels) or will it just look fine...

It going to be used for everything, so cant be doing with it if that'll be the case...

Thanks

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

yes you are correct about the density, however viewing distance is key.

sat 1m away from the screen you wont be able to see the gaps at all!

3. vaderag

Right. My desk is quite short, so i'd probably be about 60cm away... Would you say i'd be ok browsing etc on that as well as gaming/tv'ing?

4. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

i was thinking about buying the same monitor and had the same thoughts as yourself and in the end decided on a 24" monitor, my gut feeling was a 24" would be better suited as a pc monitor only a foot away from my face

5. vaderag

Yeah, the reason i'm really tempted is because my very initial decision was to buy a 32" TV to use solely as a movie and games player (i.e - Wii and PC DVD output)
    Then i decided my money would be better spent on a monitor for this use and to enhance my PC gaming and general use... This seems to fit that gap perfectly, i'm just concerned it might be TOO big, and whether my PC usage will be detrimented because of that...

6. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

yep that was my exact same thoughts too, it would help if someone had one on show to have a look at before parting with your cash

7. vaderag

I know - not the kind of thing i'm going to find on the high street!
    I live in West London (West Ken), if someone has one around here and wouldnt mind me stopping by to take a look, i'd really appreciate it!

8. vaderag

Anyone got anything to add (or want to offer me a viewing)

9. Zargon

Zargon Master of the Universe

It's possible an Apple store in town might have one of their big monitors (maybe even a 30"er) for you to have a look ... just to get an idea of size and sitting in front of one etc.

10. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

11. vaderag

The review makes me think that it would be stupid NOT to buy one over a 24"... i'm still erring towards the thought that it may be too big... I dunno tho - need to see one...

12. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

I read the reviews of that viewsonic, and went for the Dell 27" instead.

13. vaderag

If i had a spare £300 on top, i would too! But i dont...
    I budgeted for a 24"...

Tags: