1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Question about wood and body filler.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by vmast3r, 17 Aug 2010.

1. vmast3r

vmast3r What's a Dremel?

I'm making a custom front case cover out of wood and I have some parts that were cut out unevenly. I'm pretty new at modding, let alone cutting, but it's getting there.

I'm thinking of using Bondo Auto Body Filler to fill in the uneven cuts for a straight edge look. I've bought it for a project a while back, but I've never actually used it before, and was wondering if it would work out on wood.

I'm open to other suggestions too. The main goal here is to fill up an uneven edge with something to make it straight.

Here's a visual:
    [​IMG]

I need the top layer in the pic to even out with bottom layer, so it can form a straight edge on the side.

2. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

I'd be more tempted to try linseed putty, but do what all modders must do at some point - test it on a piece of scrap!

Practice on this scrap, too. Your end product will end up being better for it.

If you mean the edge closest to the camera, I would prefer to recut, or plane/sand the larger one down.

Oh, and if your two pieces need to be identical, clamp the two sheets and cut them both at the same time.

vmast3r likes this.
  3. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

ive seen bondo used on MDF board
    so would it work on wood
    yes
    but like capnPedro mentioned
    find some scrap and see how it turns out

vmast3r likes this.
  4. vmast3r

vmast3r What's a Dremel?

Ah man, can't believe I didn't think of testing it out on scrap first. Gotta love this forum, haha. And thanks for the heads up on the clamps, looks like I have a long way to go with learning new modding techniques, heh.

Ah, alright.

5. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

it works fine. Painters use it all the time in doors and window frames to correct for damage. And because it hardens like steel almost you can create really sharp clean edges and lines in it.